2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
Just received an email from PERRINN. Hope they can pull it off.
rsz_lmp_2018_brochure_frt_pg_01.jpg

rsz_lmp_2018_brochure_bk_pg_02.jpg

with also the news back in January that Ginetta are building 10 LMP1 cars aswell.....it really need the LMP1 numbers from next year.

Did also heard rumours that the Dome Strakka were going to change that to a LMP1 spec dome

Just heard on radio Le mans that there is a strong chance that boardroom shakeups at VAG will be removing the ring fence around Porsche's WEC budget.

Just heard on radio Le mans that there is a strong chance that boardroom shakeups at VAG will be removing the ring fence around Porsche's WEC budget.

Hmmm, The plot thickens.

Just received an email from PERRINN. Hope they can pull it off.
rsz_lmp_2018_brochure_frt_pg_01.jpg

rsz_lmp_2018_brochure_bk_pg_02.jpg

I completely forgot about them. :lol:

It's good to see they are still moving forward with the project though and hopefully someone enters one. Hopefully all the proposed entrants actually make it to the grid and the long awaited LMP1-L growth actually happens this time. :cheers:

Not surprised, the supposed reasoning for removing Audi, and the first profits after diesel gate...

My question is where will Audi be seen again on a premier set up.

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure about this on Australian shores, I know at a semi club level this has been gradually thriving, but the rules now allow LMP2 and LMP3 machinery, there is always that 'one guy' with to much money,
We've seen Radicals run on The Mountain. Imagine seeing that one guy with an Oreca Nissan or a Deltawing or a Porsche have a run. ;)

3 cars to win Le Mans, committed thru '17 only, I can see them pulling the plug if they manage to get that win.

DC Racing sign a couple of hot shoes. http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/jarvis-brundle-confirmed-at-dc-racing/
But Toyota says the program has no end. The budget was upped last year and they were given it to invest in a third hybrid (ers). 2 kers front and rear, and a heat recovery like the Porsche. But those rules were pushed back or canned till at least 2020 so the funds went to making this generation's car even better and getting a third one for Spa and LM.

Porsche came back because the hybrid rules. Toyota returned at the start of the hybrid rules. What would they stay for if the aco ditches them to attract 'cheap' Peugeot with no road relevance?

But Toyota says the program has no end. The budget was upped last year and they were given it to invest in a third hybrid (ers). 2 kers front and rear, and a heat recovery like the Porsche. But those rules were pushed back or canned till at least 2020 so the funds went to making this generation's car even better and getting a third one for Spa and LM.

Porsche came back because the hybrid rules. Toyota returned at the start of the hybrid rules. What would they stay for if the aco ditches them to attract 'cheap' Peugeot with no road relevance?

If this was for Peugeot then that'd be the ultimate French serving the French act...

Its still a possibility, unlikely but a possibility nonetheless,

It would be a major project and one filled with money, had they planned it before they put the roundabouts in, they could have easily built bridges over or tunnels under the circuit, now they would have to relocate the majority of arterial roads around the circuit, it would be a 10+ year plan, but I think the cost of it in this age will hold it back,

'No end point' and no plans confirmed beyond 2017 and no more $$ but make do with what we have already given you = win the 24 and we will have some nice parting gifts for you on your way to the next challenge. Maybe the engine could be used to supply a future LMP1 privateer program and the team will shift focus to a GTE program, or Formula car swap once they figure out how stupid that idea is and make them use the same car for a entire race.

'No end point' and no plans confirmed beyond 2017 and no more $$ but make do with what we have already given you = win the 24 and we will have some nice parting gifts for you on your way to the next challenge. Maybe the engine could be used to supply a future LMP1 privateer program and the team will shift focus to a GTE program, or Formula car swap once they figure out how stupid that idea is and make them use the same car for a entire race.
No, it means they have already increased the budget for the new rules/car in 2016. And in light of the rules now staying the same until 2019, Audi dropping out, Porsche continuing with only 2 cars, a drop to only two bodykits and the ACO talking about cost cuts, why would they get another increase?

No end point means they aren't leaving. Not that they are. The confirmation through 2017 was already known. It's not like this is some revelation. Porsche hasn't stated they were continuing past a certain date either but no one is saying they're packing up after the season. But like I said above, the WEC and Le Mans is the only place to showcase hybrid technology besides a billion dollar expenditure in F1.

No, it means they have already increased the budget for the new rules/car in 2016. And in light of the rules now staying the same until 2019, Audi dropping out, Porsche continuing with only 2 cars, a drop to only two bodykits and the ACO talking about cost cuts, why would they get another increase?
The better question is why would they keep spending after 2017 if there is nothing left to change?

Monza test

C6eri4nWMAACC4p.jpg

The better question is why would they keep spending after 2017 if there is nothing left to change?

Monza test

C6eri4nWMAACC4p.jpg
They get an annual budget, it's not like the funds are dried up. I don't get what you're saying, really. If the cars are staying the same until at least 2019, Toyota and Porsche don't have to invest huge sums into brand new designs. That means if they do make a new monocoque, it's going to be to the same rules so there shouldn't be major costs in a redesign. And if the current cars are eligible for 3 more years, why quit now with a complying car? I could see the reasoning behind quitting in 2020 but not next year or 2019.

Back