2017 IMSA WeatherTech SCC - Round 3: Long BeachSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 137 comments
Multi-class racing on a street circuit will always be a mess.

I can't think of another race anywhere that's like this.
Monaco F1? With the much slower tail end of the field and the mid-field being lapped 1-2 times in a race, I'd consider that multi-class street racing.

I almost feel like I wasted my time watching this. There was some great action but all of the cluster 🤬 at Turn 11 with the late reactions from officials kinda ruined it. IDK if there were too many cars on track or if people should just stop trying to pass there, but it was just a mess.

Also... anybody know what happened to the #24 BMW? I've not had any confidence on the M6 GTLM so far until now, and to see it slow down suddenly from the lead was heartbreaking. #BringBackTheZ4

There are grounds for a protest, yellows were clearly out in the final 2 which should have locked the GTLM results in.

I almost feel like I wasted my time watching this. There was some great action but all of the cluster 🤬 at Turn 11 with the late reactions from officials kinda ruined it. IDK if there were too many cars on track or if people should just stop trying to pass there, but it was just a mess.

Also... anybody know what happened to the #24 BMW? I've not had any confidence on the M6 GTLM so far until now, and to see it slow down suddenly from the lead was heartbreaking. #BringBackTheZ4
Probably an electrical problem. As a GTLM the M6 continues to disappoint.

Yellows are out, it would be wrong to have a championship decided because of a idiot and a last lap traffic jam.

IMG_20170408_172445.jpg

IMG_20170408_172500.jpg

Our cars look and sound better though, we make the perfect villains. :sly:

So the Corvettes are more fasterer in your opinion? :P

Also my reaction to the Corvette win:

My reaction to the Mustang Sampling Racing car not winning:

My reaction to the Fords not winning:

My reaction to the Ford placing in 2nd:

Probably an electrical problem. As a GTLM the M6 continues to disappoint.

Turns out you're right, as confirmed by BMW USA Motorsport. I'm pleased that they were finally able to keep up with the rest of the field and even have both cars lead for a while though, but I've never seen another BMW have as many problems as this M6 is having. IIRC, the Z4 only DNF'd once in 3 years of racing with RLL! And the E92 M3s were great too. Oh well...

Was there, crowd was going wild during the Prototype chase and the final turn. I love the Long Beach round, close quarters and tight spaces, but maybe 35 cars is just a bit too much?

nah

Long beach produced in a 100 minutes race almost as many full course yellow situations as Sebring in 24 hours!
I think it's definitely the wrong track to host a multi class race due to too many over tight in between walls corners and... how many cars participating? 40? 45?
There's so many awesome tracks in the US that makes very hard to understand the inclusion of this one in this series.

Monaco F1? With the much slower tail end of the field and the mid-field being lapped 1-2 times in a race, I'd consider that multi-class street racing.
Really?
A F1 race has what? 20? 21 cars? All same class, let's say... That right there triples the space you have to negociate traffic and being such a slow track turns the field a bit more even. I don't remember ever seeing something like what we saw yesterday in a Monaco GP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back