2017 IMSA WeatherTech SCC - Round 3: Long BeachSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 137 comments
Long beach produced in a 100 minutes race almost as many full course yellow situations as Sebring in 24 hours!
I think it's definitely the wrong track to host a multi class race due to too many over tight in between walls corners and... how many cars participating? 40? 45?
There's so many awesome tracks in the US that makes very hard to understand the inclusion of this one in this series.

Its the closest thing Toyota has to a home track here in the states, its in one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the US, ot gets great exposure to the fans and helps market the series. Its like racing at the American Monaco. Maybe not the best racing but it does a lot for the series and as long as the promoter is paying your series to go there, you're going to go.

IMSA can make a wishlist of tracks or events they'd love to have/visit, but if there's no promoter or business case to be made, they're not going.

Can we talk about how horrible Hindy has gotten? The dude was complaining up a storm about "passing under yellow" when the hairpin was blocked both times. Dude, look at the circumstances. Jeremy Shaw was trying to play the reasonable one but he was having none of it. Like, what are they supposed to do, just completely stop and queue up behind the blockage until everyone is removed? Ridiculous. You had cars that were trapped on the outside due to the placement of crash cars, and an open slot on the inside. Silly to just park everyone up.

Plus, if the cars stop, they're technically accident cars and the passing thing doesn't matter, iirc.

There went the first M6 win down the drain! Will BMW close the program with 1 single win in Blancpain? One and a half year later the car is still tagged as a very, very expensive failure even with official BMW DTM drivers.

Can we talk about how horrible Hindy has gotten? The dude was complaining up a storm about "passing under yellow" when the hairpin was blocked both times. Dude, look at the circumstances. Jeremy Shaw was trying to play the reasonable one but he was having none of it. Like, what are they supposed to do, just completely stop and queue up behind the blockage until everyone is removed? Ridiculous. You had cars that were trapped on the outside due to the placement of crash cars, and an open slot on the inside. Silly to just park everyone up.

Plus, if the cars stop, they're technically accident cars and the passing thing doesn't matter, iirc.
But should some cars be able to gain an advantage because of that ridiculous situation?

My personal reaction was the same, I was wondering why they were being allowed to pass under yellow without penalty.

EDK
But should some cars be able to gain an advantage because of that ridiculous situation?

My personal reaction was the same, I was wondering why they were being allowed to pass under yellow without penalty.
I remember the FOX commentators talking about that situation and for then, as for me personally as also for the stewards, that was a very unique awkward moment and everybody just wanted to get out of there somehow.
Now, could the race director force everybody to reposition while lapping under yellow? Maybe he could.

It sounds like IMSA deemed the whole incident an "incident in progress" and Garcia became a part of the incident because of when he got there. That's what I'm getting from their post race notebook. I'd imagine that Pratt&Miller still has a valid case to protest the result if they chose to, but nobody but them knows if they actually will. Also worth noting (and I already said this in the IMSA season thread) that Robert Alon got put on probation for 3 races due to starting that entire mess.

I thought it was an excellent race. Porsche being stupid (AGAIN!!!!!) and all. I was so SO sad when the Mazda bounced off the wall. That was an AWESOME battle going on! I would have LOVED to see it go on to the end!

That wreck at the end was odd, to say the least.

But, the way I look at it is this: The Corvette moved out of line. Then everyone passed him when the space cleared.

Best way to put it is "incident in progress".

I think that it was a reasonable ending, and would have just made more people upset if IMSA had gone back and changed the standings.

That was an INTENSE race! Great fun to watch!

I really wish the Cadillac DPi would make an appearance in GT Sport. I'd love to race in the same car Jeff Gordon raced in!

I actually really enjoyed this one . Milners Corvette unlucky and felt so bad but the Cadillac deserved the win . I thought the race was quite short imo

Unfortunately the length is kinda limited by the city I think.
And the jam packed weekend. After the IMSA race there was still Indycar quali, and afterthat was the Motegi Super Drift thingy (forget the proper full name). The drift corse uses the back straight, turns 9-11, and the very start of the front straight.

So I don't think its a noise thing, or road closure thing, as the drift event goes well into the night, like 9 or 10 o-clock at least.

Was PWC there this year as well? Even more stuff to jam into the schedule :lol:

And the jam packed weekend. After the IMSA race there was still Indycar quali, and afterthat was the Motegi Super Drift thingy (forget the proper full name). The drift corse uses the back straight, turns 9-11, and the very start of the front straight.

So I don't think its a noise thing, or road closure thing, as the drift event goes well into the night, like 9 or 10 o-clock at least.

Was PWC there this year as well? Even more stuff to jam into the schedule :lol:
Yes they were...and in race 2 they had to deal with a busted fire hydrant. :lol:

Back