2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
  • 165,412 views
Considering the criminal acts other teams in the series have taken part in...you'd fit right in.
Hey, in a few years, I'd have everyone writing articles about me and then I'd disappear from the spotlight before resurfacing at IndyCar with loads of money. It's a foolproof plan really.
 
Eva
Hey, in a few years, I'd have everyone writing articles about me and then I'd disappear from the spotlight before resurfacing at IndyCar with loads of money. It's a foolproof plan really.
About as full proof as the reliability of the Ferrari. :lol:

If you go fast enough won't it blow the flames out :sly:
Yes it would. :P
 
It may have German eggheads at the top, buts it's still an Italian car through and through. :p
The Italians build the one thing that can go up in flames with only the flare they can have. :lol:
 
The Italians build the one thing that can go up in flames with only the flare they can have. :lol:

Don't discount the Brits on that account, the 1st gen V-12 Jags had quite the reputation for going up in flames :)
 
Factory Audi driver testing a Ligier 💡 hmm.;)



Technically, wouldn't he be a "Former" Factory driver? You know because...there was Formerly an LMP1 team.

Level 5's equipment is up for auction. It includes:

Two Lola LMP2 Coupes of different vintages.
One Lola LMP2 roadster
Two ARX LMP2 roadsters
Ferrari 360 Challenge
Ferrari F430 GT2
Two Ferrari 458 GTD-spec cars
A 1050hp Porsche Race Car
Ferrari F430 Crawford Grand-Am GT
http://auctionsamerica.com/events/all-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AS17&grouping=Level 5 Motorsports&category=

Hmmm. Considering the 458s are basically detuned GT3 cars, I see those being sold the quickest (that and Pierluigi could use them after Ferrari has decided to purge most of its GT line up of idiots. Lolas..well the company is gone so there is the "doesn't exist anymore" factor that slightly increases the worth. 2 ARX-02Bs...ehhhhh. Everything else, solid but unsure who would want them really.

Sadly, it seems all of the prototypes are Sans-engine, so that price is chassis only. Given the ARX's similarities with the Oreca FLM09, I think a Katech Chevy V8 could be fitted in there to give you a relatively inexpensive and reliable power unit. As sacrilegious as that would be.

Not quite actually. While they essentially are in the bizarre Courage/Oreca/HPD family tree, the packaging in that is was designed around that small V6 engine. Trying to shove the Katech V8 in that would likely work out about as well as McLaren's F1 program.
 
@RACECAR no cause just like when VW closed shop, in WRC their drivers were still signed on to them as Factory drivers. Meaning if VW had something else they planned to race in like WRX their factory drivers would be used.

So though Audi is gone from WEC, doesn't mean they set their drivers into the wild, they still put them in GT3 cars for lease and have the potential to be in other things if wanted or told.
 
@RACECAR no cause just like when VW closed shop, in WRC their drivers were still signed on to them as Factory drivers. Meaning if VW had something else they planned to race in like WRX their factory drivers would be used.

So though Audi is gone from WEC, doesn't mean they set their drivers into the wild, they still put them in GT3 cars for lease and have the potential to be in other things if wanted or told.
And loan them out the Corvette guys still for the enduros. :D
 
Well by enduros I meant IMSA (seeing as the WEC is enduros only).

Yes but obviously they don't get loaned out for Le Mans which is an enduro, which is why I made the distinction.
 
Technically, wouldn't he be a "Former" Factory driver? You know because...there was Formerly an LMP1 team
Audi has more factory efforts than the LMP1 program. His Twitter still says he is a factory Audi Sport driver and was racing in Italy in a Audi rally car at some winter fest thing. I dont think he has a active race seat right now.
 
Interesting article from Stevenson team manager Mike Johnson giving some of his thoughts on the team running both a GTD and Conti GS operation. I'll link the article here.
 
But there's no race this weekend. I just loaded up the app and apparently there's live GT3 qualifying right now. What's going on?
 
PC and GT3 Cup follow Indycar to Barber as well as Toronto later in the year.
PC is one and done with Indycar, the Honda IndyToronto round will feature Canadian Nascar and GT3 cup.
 
Since Barber is on for PC right now I'll take the opportunity 1 last time, I won't bring this up again, to advocate Barber for the WeatherTech schedule. Some said Barber is not wide, I'm not sure how wide you want a track to be but this looks pretty wide to me and LMP3s are 100 mm wider than LMP2 regulations.

upload_2017-4-22_13-10-23.png


That looks like 6-7 cars wide to me, Sebring appears narrower than this by a fair amount off of the runways. The only 2 issues I can think of with a full onslaught IMSA weekend is probably pit lane spaces and parking spaces for all the haulers. That is all.

PC race is pretty good too, you should watch if you aren't, ~10 minutes to go now.
 
Back