2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
If Honda fails with this one I wouldn't surprised if they shy away from most motorsport for at least a decade. Has any other manufacturer done something like that? I know Mercedes-Benz did after the 1955 Le Mans but that's for way different reasons.

If things play out like they do at MSR they will use 2 Penske drivers and 2 of Honda's choosing. I am betting on Lally and Legge move over from MSR to team with JPM and Helio in the other car.
Agreed, especially Legge. She has the most LMP experience there with her time in the Deltawing.

Interesting bit right here:

Honda is expected to announce its participation with Team Penske and LMP2 constructor ORECA later this summer, While Joest Racing has reportedly already wind tunnel tested a potential Audi-engined DPi car that could come online next year as well.

I can only assume that based solely on their working History, Dallara is likely their constructor.

Interesting bit right here:

I can only assume that based solely on their working History, Dallara is likely their constructor.
That came a bit out of the blue no didn't it? :odd: Would love to see an Audi DPi run by Joest, and a Ford DPi would be interesting as well (please don't be Ganassi).

Last edited:
That came a bit out of the blue no didn't it? :odd: Would love to see an Audi DPi, and a Ford DPi would be interesting as well (hope not Ganassi).
Joest had been rumored to get involved for a while now. As for the Ford DPi, Ganassi inquired about it so he'd probably get that if they went forward.

Just waiting to that 3 car Penske entry at the Rolex 24 with Castroneves, Pagenaud and Montoya in it (all three with some great pace in Sports Cars).

Joest had been rumored to get involved for a while now.
Hopefully Joest does come (be it V10 or a V6T), would LOVE to have an Audi LMP here in America. :D

As for the Ford DPi, Ganassi inquired about it so he'd probably get that if they went forward.
Ah 🤬. Ganassi is Ford now though I suppose so I guess it makes sense. :indiff:

Just waiting to that 3 car Penske entry at the Rolex 24 with Castroneves, Pagenaud and Montoya in it (all three with some great pace in Sports Cars).
Very excited about that program. :D Hopefully the Honda curse doesn't hit them. :scared:

Hopefully Joest does come (be it V10 or a V6T), would LOVE to have an Audi LMP here in America. :D

Ah 🤬. Ganassi is Ford now though I suppose so I guess it makes sense. :indiff:

Very excited about that program. :D Hopefully the Honda curse doesn't hit them. :scared:
I believe HPD is doing the engine not the Honda that is in F1 so thats an upside i believe

They've also been extremely stout barring the Indy debacle. HPD by itself should be fine because they overall have an ability to keep engines from turning into frag grenades unlike the ones from HQ in Japan.
True. And if it is the production based V6T from the NSX GT3, then it'll be fine.

I would love to see Ford do a DPi even if it is ran by Ganassi. Of course 2020 is still a ways away, but it would be epic if we had Audi, Cadillac, Ford, Mazda & Nissan teams on the grid (Plus I'm still holding out on Volvo thinking that joke pic is actually a good idea :lol:). Of course 2020 is still far out so it's possible that Ed Brown loses interest and pulls funding and Mazda decides to cut their losses.

The growing factory interest also highlights the need for a Pro-Am prototype class. Keep the cars the way they are so they still have a shot at the overall win, but at the same time give the lower teams that utilize amateurs a chance in the spotlight as well. As it stands now I can see the privateer teams vanishing after their pay-drivers take off for other classes where they can actually win something instead of just driving around the track for a couple hours with the other teams.

Whoa, a lot of developments since I last poked my head in here.

1) Not really surprised to see the Ford GTLM being a short program.
2) Really don't want to see Andretti move into IMSA/Weathertech - the guy is an asshat and the less impact he has on my favourite series, the better.
3) Nice to see the old Joest rumours might have had some validity.
4) Nice to see the overall interest in the series (though with the Andretti/Ganassi etc. groups coming in...they could spoil the wonderful atmosphere which has been a hallmark of this series...)
5) A lot of folks not making the Watkins Six Hour which makes me sad panda.

Whoa, a lot of developments since I last poked my head in here.

1) Not really surprised to see the Ford GTLM being a short program.
2) Really don't want to see Andretti move into IMSA/Weathertech - the guy is an asshat and the less impact he has on my favourite series, the better.
3) Nice to see the old Joest rumours might have had some validity.
4) Nice to see the overall interest in the series (though with the Andretti/Ganassi etc. groups coming in...they could spoil the wonderful atmosphere which has been a hallmark of this series...)
5) A lot of folks not making the Watkins Six Hour which makes me sad panda.
Ford announced it was only a 4 year factory program at the beginning of the GT's life in 2016, and Ganassi is in this series. Its Penske and Andretti that are going to be the new arrivals.

I didn't catch the GT programme being 4 years, but that makes sense. I know Ganassi is already present ...I just don't think it's a good thing. :D Ganassi has already made a fool of himself, so I'm not overly enthused to see the jackass Andretti join in. I think it's an overall positive for the sport (money, names, drivers) but I'd take a Penske all day over the other two.

I didn't catch the GT programme being 4 years, but that makes sense. I know Ganassi is already present ...I just don't think it's a good thing. :D Ganassi has already made a fool of himself, so I'm not overly enthused to see the jackass Andretti join in. I think it's an overall positive for the sport (money, names, drivers) but I'd take a Penske all day over the other two.
Yeah the "privateer" Ford's coming in 2019/2020 are only really because the program will then be dropped by Ford. (Curious because "rival", Ferrari, has had undying support of GT categories since forever really...guess Ford can't muster the competitive spirit)

I'd rather have Andretti than Ganassi, or the guy behind 3GT.

The only thing I can think of is so that the LMP2 class cars can cross over to Le Mans. That was an issue this year between the DPi cars and the ICO (Le Mans governing body).

What I don't understand (and this isn't the topic for it but) why is there an ICO when there's the FIA? I thought FIA controlled all official motorsport around the world.

They really already can though, it's only the DPis that aren't allowed. It wouldn't change much, this classification, but it's redundant since they're built around the same regulations.

Yes yay. It could potentially mean the DPi's will be allowed to go faster instead of being pinned to LMP2 speeds.

Pro-Am teams are just as important as factory teams in sportscar racing. It would send a bad message to pro-am teams in both classes if IMSA flatly ignored their concerns even if they aren't in the class of those with issues.

What I don't understand (and this isn't the topic for it but) why is there an ICO when there's the FIA? I thought FIA controlled all official motorsport around the world.

Nope. There's actually quite a few sanctioning bodies around the world, FIA is the most popular one though.

Back