2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
I hate to say it, but I've given up on TV and live-streams. I've been far more happy watching the race after it's up on YouTube at my leisure. I just avoid GT Planet (I'm not on any media apps for motorsports so generally I avoid any spoilers). I'll be behind for a few days, but it's worth it to watch it at my pace w/ zero interruptions.

I hate to say it, but I've given up on TV and live-streams. I've been far more happy watching the race after it's up on YouTube at my leisure. I just avoid GT Planet (I'm not on any media apps for motorsports so generally I avoid any spoilers). I'll be behind for a few days, but it's worth it to watch it at my pace w/ zero interruptions.
In that case the TV coverage of the Conti race is Sunday, so it'll be tubed soon after that.

What was arguably one of the worst kept secrets in the IMSA paddock wound up happening. But still, it's a really good sign that one of the most prominent figures in sports car racing is returning to the field.

I'm very happy to hear Penske is returning to sports cars. I don't remember their DP venture at all but do fondly remember them battling with Audi while in the Porsche.

Now if Joest does show up...we're in bidness.
Well, Bentley was rumored before the emissions scandal and Joest has a long history with VAG. 💡

I bet a lot of the smaller DPi teams are not as enthused as the rest of us.

Hopefully IMSA is smart enough to make an Am sub-class as I could see the lack of one driving away the teams that have/will make the jump.

The DPi regs are setup so the biggest engine allowed just so happens to be an Audi/Lambo V10. :sly:

Maximum capacity for a V10 under the regs since the beginning is the 5.2l VAG V10, yes. Biggest engine allowed under the regulations currently is the 6.2l V8 in the Cadillac though. That can all change though depending on who wants to play. For example, if FCA decided to make the Viper again and wanted to use that engine in a DPi, you'd see the regs magically change the maximum capacity of a V10 to 8.3l.

Hopefully IMSA is smart enough to make an Am sub-class as I could see the lack of one driving away the teams that have/will make the jump.

No need for an Am sub-class. That just muddies everything. The DPi cars are BoP'd to the ACO cars so they theoretically will be balanced.

When I saw this on Racer today, I was glad to see it's not Penske grouped with Honda North America but actually the bigger input from Japan. Which I feel will lead to a better result, I'm sure Honda NA will give plenty of input and help but I feel the reason Honda falls short many times is the lack of full factory money from Japan in U.S. racing.

The DPi cars are BoP'd to the ACO cars so they theoretically will be balanced.

The problem is even if they nail the BoP the ACO cars will still be at a disadvantage as they don't have all-pro lineups for the most part. I just think it would be a little easier for a team like Starworks to find a customer if they have a reasonable chance of winning.

The problem is even if they nail the BoP the ACO cars will still be at a disadvantage as they don't have all-pro lineups for the most part. I just think it would be a little easier for a team like Starworks to find a customer if they have a reasonable chance of winning.
It would be easier for a team like Starworks to field a car if Peter Baron wasn't running the show.

IMSA is the big leagues here. If you don't come with an all-Pro lineup, you're gonna have a bad time. Has always been like that. Never stopped the guys from back in the day from having a go.

We shouldn't be catering to a few European teams that might come over for the big races over the manufactures and the committed teams here already.

Agreed. Though alternatively they could force the PC cars into the global spec cars and make the PC teams under LMP2 regulations, therefore we would see some of those euro teams come over, just leave the factory efforts all pro line ups, the Am drivers will show the division between groups,

Agreed. Though alternatively they could force the PC cars into the global spec cars and make the PC teams under LMP2 regulations, therefore we would see some of those euro teams come over, just leave the factory efforts all pro line ups, the Am drivers will show the division between groups,
Nope. We're only going to have 3 classes next year, and (thankfully) only one is prototype.

I'm not sure were I stand on the idea of a Pro/Am sub class in P anymore. I think that the addition of that class could lead to a increase in the car count and help insulate the series from the inevitable cold war that will probably consume the DPi class once Team Penske shows up. Teams like JDC and PR1 will soon be overwhelmed by the resources a team like Penske can throw at a car (and no it's not like Indycar because they are all playing the game with the same car).

The other side of that is that sending Am drivers out against the best Pro drivers up's their game and help weed out the guys that should stick to Iracing and spend their weekends at the country club instead of at a race track. The same thing applies to the teams who are thrilled when they can beat a factory backed team head to head. If you want to be the best than you have to beat the best. It also helps deal with the issue of the fake silvers that have infected GTD and the Am classes in the WEC. Maybe that and the added prize of winning the Trueman/Akin award with a auto entry to Le Mans is enough incentive to justify the budget.

It will be interesting to see if P2 entries increase or decrease during the season.

Meanwhile in Texas, I hope they noticed their race will be broadcast on Memorex and not live. http://www.imsa.com/news/022017/cir...advance-auto-parts-sportscar-showdown-may-5-6

When I saw this on Racer today, I was glad to see it's not Penske grouped with Honda North America but actually the bigger input from Japan. Which I feel will lead to a better result, I'm sure Honda NA will give plenty of input and help but I feel the reason Honda falls short many times is the lack of full factory money from Japan in U.S. racing.
I'm not so sure Honda's shortcomings are HPD's fault.

A recent history of Honda:

F1, 2015-present: getting worked over. We all know the various reasons, but in short, they aren't winning.

WTCC, 2015-present: Honda and everyone else got their asses handed to them by Citroen. Some cheekiness from Citroen, but again, Honda wasn't winning (all the time, or championships)

Indycar: can't remember how long it's been, but Honda has been getting worked in Indycar (of course, that's HPD)

SuperGT: without going into detail, the NSX concept in GT500 has basically been a complete dud. Obviously Honda tried something different, going MR in the Dallara chassis with a hybrid system at first...but the end result was Honda at the back of the grid for more than a couple years.

For all the major racing Honda is involved in, they have been on a miserable streak lately. About the only things they're winning of late is TCR/BTCC races (and those cars are built in Italy/England respectively), or 2 wheeled stuff in MotoGP or AMA series (and even last year, Honda's 450F was really nowhere compared to KTM, Husky, Kawi...about even with Suzuki and Yamaha for back of the grid).

It's almost like they've been cursed :lol:

I'm not sure were I stand on the idea of a Pro/Am sub class in P anymore. I think that the addition of that class could lead to a increase in the car count and help insulate the series from the inevitable cold war that will probably consume the DPi class once Team Penske shows up. Teams like JDC and PR1 will soon be overwhelmed by the resources a team like Penske can throw at a car (and no it's not like Indycar because they are all playing the game with the same car).

The other side of that is that sending Am drivers out against the best Pro drivers up's their game and help weed out the guys that should stick to Iracing and spend their weekends at the country club instead of at a race track. The same thing applies to the teams who are thrilled when they can beat a factory backed team head to head. If you want to be the best than you have to beat the best. It also helps deal with the issue of the fake silvers that have infected GTD and the Am classes in the WEC. Maybe that and the added prize of winning the Trueman/Akin award with a auto entry to Le Mans is enough incentive to justify the budget.

It will be interesting to see if P2 entries increase or decrease during the season.

Meanwhile in Texas, I hope they noticed their race will be broadcast on Memorex and not live. http://www.imsa.com/news/022017/cir...advance-auto-parts-sportscar-showdown-may-5-6

DPi cars have to be able to be sold to any team that inquires. Even the Cadillac can be bought, which says a lot about where GM is in there compared to last year. Plus, all the cars are attempted to be balanced to each other, so if the Honda is a rocketship, it'll be pegged back.

Plus Joest is most likely coming, and that'll be an incredible fight between the two.

DPi cars have to be able to be sold to any team that inquires
Show me were that is written down. I have seen nothing saying that in the Sporting regs.

Even the Cadillac can be bought, which says a lot about where GM is in there compared to last year.
Show me the price list for a Caddilarra DPi program.

Plus, all the cars are attempted to be balanced to each other, so if the Honda is a rocketship, it'll be pegged back.
Lets be real here, this series is not supported by the entry fees of JDC and PR1, OEM's are paying the tab and expect the ROI from that expense. On top of that there is way more involved in these programs than air restrictors and boost levels. Engineering programs, sim work, shaker tests, shock programs, etc all cost money.

Sebring test entry list. http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/news/2017/02/34_entries_set_for_sebring_test_next_week/2017_sebring_test_pre-event_entry_list.pdf

Marino Franchitti in a Mazda.

Back