2018 24 Hours Of Lemons New Zealand - Team Hooncorp's Shot At History!!

• Thread starter Nismonath5
  • 92 comments
9:15 - of course as soon as I go to get some rest, drama happens. The Commodore lost power on the straight, turns out the kill switch had melted and killed the electrics. Luckily that was a quick-ish fix, and we're back on the way!

20180512_205913.jpg

Also, word is a huge storm's headed out way at about 3am. :boggled:

12:48am
I just climbed out of the Pulsar, and let me tell you. THAT WAS SCARY!!!!!

The rain rolled in and got heavier and heavier, meaning virtually no grip whatsoever. That just made the racing all that more treacherous. Still, I pushed on and Trevor's taken over once again.

Pulsar 19th
Commodore 28th

6:53am

Is that.... sunlight?!

(my pic of the gloomy sunrise doesn't seem to want to upload.)

I went for a wee nap, woke up feeling even less refreshed than I had when I laid my head down :/

The Pulsar's maintaining 16th and the Commodore's 24th at this point in time, 9 hours to go!

10:10am
Went for a better nap than that last one, now THAT'S more like it. Much better

Pulsar's 13th, only a few laps away from a top 10 placing!!!! While I was out, Brad climbed into the Commodore and I managed to see him finish up his stint. He kept his nose (mostly) clean, and didn't make a fool of himself. Pretty impressed!

There's only 5 hours to go, and the sun's up, track's dry. Now we can race!!!

Guess your internet didn't like you. Props to Brad for keeping it clean!
Even though he usually wiped out in the Beater or Sleeper races.

1:40
Race confirmed to finish at 3:15pm. Now that it's dry, the brake pads are dying a lot quicker. When we ran out of pads shockingly quick, we bit the bullet and bought some expensive professional racing pads to get the rest of the job done. That's sunk us back to 15th, but we can still do this! The Commodore is 24th
20180513_121545.jpg

1:40
Race confirmed to finish at 3:15pm. Now that it's dry, the brake pads are dying a lot quicker. When we ran out of pads shockingly quick, we bit the bullet and bought some expensive professional racing pads to get the rest of the job done. That's sunk us back to 15th, but we can still do this! The Commodore is 24th
View attachment 736021
One of the old tricks from Production Car racing, especially in a front wheel drive is to use up the front tyres as de facto brakes by scrubbing off speed as you enter the corner.

If the front tyres are surviving more than the brake pads, it's an option worth considering.

Well, I think you've all figured by now the race is long finished. Dad and I brought both cars home, the first time we've been on track together!

The new pads worked a charm for the Pulsar, though the Commodore was beginning to suffer from a tired gearbox.

At the end of it all though, the Commodore placed 23rd, and the Pulsar placed 16th. A damn good effort for the team if I do say so myself. :D I'll post some more in depth write ups and share pics and vids in the coming days, but for now I'm badly in need of a good long sleep...

Well, I think you've all figured by now the race is long finished. Dad and I brought both cars home, the first time we've been on track together!

The new pads worked a charm for the Pulsar, though the Commodore was beginning to suffer from a tired gearbox.

At the end of it all though, the Commodore placed 23rd, and the Pulsar placed 16th. A damn good effort for the team if I do say so myself. :D I'll post some more in depth write ups and share pics and vids in the coming days, but for now I'm badly in need of a good long sleep...
I'm incredibly proud of everyone involved, both behind the wall in the pits & in the cars with helmets on.

To get both cars through a gruelling 24 hours is no mean feat.

Well done everyone :bowdown:

Congrats on the effort!

Don't forget those beater or sleeper reviews! :sly:

I'm sure being able to share that kind of experience with your Dad feels like a win in itself. ;)

Congratulations on both cars finishing, and thanks for sharing your adventures with us! :gtpflag:

Knew the Commodore would make it all the way to the end. Quality Aussie engineering. :dopey:

Seriously, big congrats on both cars making it. :cheers:

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the support over the weekend, it truly means a lot!!! Not sure where to start as far as follow up content. A write up is in the works, obviously, but I'll also do some pics, vids, other little facts and ramblings...

For starters, here's some of the misc. video clips I shot while not driving!

Thank you all so much for the support over the weekend, it truly means a lot!!! Not sure where to start as far as follow up content. A write up is in the works, obviously, but I'll also do some pics, vids, other little facts and ramblings...

For starters, here's some of the misc. video clips I shot while not driving!

Two things I got from the pitlane video.

1/ Shorts & singlets in such cold weather?
2/ If the owner of the orange FD RX-7 bought that for >$999NZ, tell him I'll double his money for the keys*

*NZ dollars of course ;)

Two things I got from the pitlane video.

1/ Shorts & singlets in such cold weather?
2/ If the owner of the orange FD RX-7 bought that for >$999NZ, tell him I'll double his money for the keys*

*NZ dollars of course ;)

1. Haha, yeah mate. Nice and cozy :lol:
2. The orange RX-7 wasn't actually a competitor, it was a camera car that occasionally went out to catch some on track footage. Though the team in "The hairy lemon" (that grass covered Nissan Sentra) used it to their own illicit advantage... cutting out their transponder, placing it in the RX7 and taking it for a joyride. I wondered how a stock 1.5 Sentra could do a 1:17 around the track, but nope. It was discovered and rectified by judges thankfully.

Also here's a pic I got of both GTP stickers on the cars.

:gtpflag:
20180513_153937.jpg

Bit of sad news regarding one of our fellow Lemons rivals. Adam Taylor got a call tonight to say his racecar was on fire... looks to be electrical related. This little beast was a real rocket at Lemons, hopefully it's not the last we see of him! :(

Credit: StreetStyle photography for the "before" pic

FB_IMG_1526457952404.jpg
FB_IMG_1526457833668.jpg

Bit of sad news regarding one of our fellow Lemons rivals. Adam Taylor got a call tonight to say his racecar was on fire... looks to be electrical related. This little beast was a real rocket at Lemons, hopefully it's not the last we see of him! :(

Credit: StreetStyle photography for the "before" pic

View attachment 736589 View attachment 736590
That's sad for sure :indiff:

Looking at the pic post fire, while it hasn't burnt out the entire car, for safety's sake it would be advisable for Adam to do a re-shell.
Once a car (or metals of an automotive nature) has been subjected to a heating process like that, it weakens the structure.

Looking for a positive side, it's an opportunity to rebuild & make the new car a better example by learning from the mistakes of this one. I just hope he's got the budget to make it happen.

Back