2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
Deschamps did a Mourinho and Belgium played along. Ass. Absolute ass.

So much football available with the Devils, and they relied on playing the long ball. If they just kept on playing their game they would have demolished this France.

This is going to be exactly the same as with Oranje. A golden generation that can easily win the tournament but won't because of a smarter coach on the other side of the pitch.

Ass. Absolute ass.

Courtois and Hazard being sore losers, I guess they have very short memory spans....

DeBruyne being the better man here.

I am just glad the journos' favorite team is out. Cannot wait to watch the finale between France and Croatia. Y'all are talking about Premier League players but fail to mention that the stars of the 2 best teams of the World Cup play in Spain (Griezmann and Modric).

I was checking the official FIFA player stats (available here: https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/players/browser/#player-by-team) to see which players had covered the most distance per minute they have played - not a very scientific test since playing 120 minutes would mean a lower average than a 90 minute game etc., but as a rough guide to see which individuals had run the most. So far, the two top players are both Russian (Golovin and Smolov on 136.32 and 134.70 m/min), with Denmark's Eriksen close behind (132.82 m/min). If I could find the data in an easier access format I'd like to see all the players ratio of distance/time played, but alas the FIFA website requires you to browse each player separately and so I've only checked a few of the most likely candidates. Some Belgium players must be up there too, but so far it is the Russians that hold top spot.

Was like a ghost town on the roads earlier, either the zombie apocalypse has started or a certain football match is upon us.

'It's coming home' playing everywhere... apart from in Southgate's head, he has nightmares about it. In the press conference he said he couldn't listen to it for 20 years :lol:

Ditto, I was a toddler in '96 and I can't recall anything from the 2 tourneys after that, but my first memory of England was watching Ronaldinho making a mug of Seaman as 9 year old me sat watching with half the school in the assembly hall.

This year is the furthest I've ever seen England go, but I can't help but feel we may get schooled tonight. What really got on my nerves were the radio commentators last night talking about dealing with France like we were already in the final... :grumpy:

Cant see England winning tonight, sorry to be a downer!
They've played 240 minutes of football in two games. They have a lower ranking that us. I'd say it's 50/50. Having said that it's on ITV and we don't tend to win them. Then again we don't win penalty shoot outs either so you never know.

Yep, it's too close to call.

Croatia have the upper hand in the midfield with Modric and Rakitic - and so I expect England might have to defend more and hit them on the break, which is not really their playing style. Mandzukic is a great danger from corners and set plays too, but England have been too in this tournament.

If there was ever a game for Sterling to finally do something, it is tonight. I've been disappointed at the lack of Rashford and the amount of chances Sterling has been given (and mostly wasted) - and the fact that Southgate has brought subs on too late.

I had the unique choice of seeing one of my heroes Paul Simon tonight, as he is playing just 200 yards from my flat in his "Homeward Bound Farewell Tour" - I just hope tonight doesn't turn out to be England's Homeward Bound Farewell!

Good luck England! 👍

Yep, it's too close to call.

Croatia have the upper hand in the midfield with Modric and Rakitic - and so I expect England might have to defend more and hit them on the break, which is not really their playing style. Mandzukic is a great danger from corners and set plays too, but England have been too in this tournament.

If there was ever a game for Sterling to finally do something, it is tonight. I've been disappointed at the lack of Rashford and the amount of chances Sterling has been given (and mostly wasted) - and the fact that Southgate has brought subs on too late.

I had the unique choice of seeing one of my heroes Paul Simon tonight, as he is playing just 200 yards from my flat in his "Homeward Bound Farewell Tour" - I just hope tonight doesn't turn out to be England's Homeward Bound Farewell!

Good luck England! 👍
I think you're the first Scott I've seen openly support England :lol:

Oe7KX0d.gif

Back