2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
I can imagine that Saturday's game is going to ass.

2 teams going for the final, ending up in the ****ers final.

As long as they keep Southgate at the helm for many years to come I think England will go on to enjoy a great period in their history but in terms of the World Cup I don't think we will see this far again.

As long as they keep Southgate at the helm for many years to come I think England will go on to enjoy a great period in their history but in terms of the World Cup I don't think we will see this far again.
That's my overriding feeling. That's it for me, I've seen us in two semi finals but don't think I'll see us make a final sadly.

Stay classy.

Don't be like that. It's only a game.

Funny as hell that is isn't coming home though. :P

But sour on the other hand because when Belgium went out, I was really hoping for an England France Final. That's a proper game on paper. On the posters.

But it's something special that teeny tiny Croatia does it.

Edit.

And remember this very important point. England has a young squad.

What's also my concern is that the tabloids had nothing to push them about for as they're not the "OMG they're awesome" group. Now we've reached a semi-final, they'll be like "Worst Performance Ever."

Stay classy.

Hahahaha sorry I didn’t cheer for England I guess lmao.

I always said that they have no style, their football lacks identity, and football is the real winner after this game.

This final is what anyone appreciating the beautiful game deserves. England had a good defense, that’s it. Everything else was dull to say the least. You may not like it but I’m not the only one who thinks this way.

What's also my concern is that the tabloids had nothing to push them about for as they're not the "OMG they're awesome" group. Now we've reached a semi-final, they'll be like "Worst Performance Ever."

I suspect the press will go for them for sure, despite the fact expectations were zero at the start they are suddenly now England's golden generation! The world has really short memories.

I always said that they have no style, their football lacks identity, and football is the real winner after this game.

This final is what anyone appreciating the beautiful game deserves. England had a good defense, that’s it. Everything else was dull to say the least. You may not like it but I’m not the only one who thinks this way.
I haven't claimed anything else and it's great that you get the final you want. It should be a great final. Hopefully Croatia won't be too tired after three ET games in a row and one less day rest.

My comment was aimed at your obvious glee in someones defeat rather than celebrating someones win. Says a great deal about you.

Sterling, Walker, Lingard, Young)
Three of England's better performers imo, along with Pickford and Tripper. Apart from a bunch of goals against two of the worst teams in the competition, Kane didn't do much. Maguire was only useful at set pieces. Like his CB partners he was wasteful in possession and prone to panicky defending. Walker and Alli were way below their best. Walker is not suited to CB.

They're playing 'Don't Look Back In Anger' at the stadium for the benefit of the England supporters, possibly in an attempt to avoid trouble afterwards...

edit: OK, maybe not... they're now playing 'Jump' by Van Halen :lol:

Three of England's better performers imo, along with Pickford and Tripper. Apart from a bunch of goals against two of the worst teams in the competition, Kane didn't do much. Maguire was only useful at set pieces.
But goals are kind of important in KO tournaments - Sterling, Lingard and Young didn't really do anything and forced England to rely on set pieces, which resulted in the vast majority of their goals. Steling and Lingard at least made a massive effort and deserve credit for that, but both lacked some vital contributions despite being given way more opportunities than other players that could have made a bigger contribution if they had been given the chance.

My comment was aimed at your obvious glee in someones defeat rather than celebrating someones win.

Schadenfreude. Leedvermaak. It's the best kind of entertainment. Stiff upper lip and onwards to the future.

And before you have a go at me.
I'm Dutch. I have been in this situation quite a bit more over the last decades.

As bittersweet as I've felt about anything ever, but the right team won in the end. England can hold its head high with its reputation restored. And Croatia are in a World Cup ****ing final. Mental. They must have balls of steel to get through three 120 minute games.

Oh and while I never know what to expect from their idiocy, if the tabloids thought it was coming home after England lost 1-0 to Belgium, I can't see even them slagging us off for losing this one. And if they do I hope their offices get a bunch of Croatian-style flares thrown at them. (Yes, of course they got them out after the equaliser. England has its beer. Croatia has its flares.)

Tis disappointing to see some reaction of some fans reverting to type where I've seen them. Then again, this is the internet, so it's not unexpected either.

Roll on the final! Dolazi kući.

Oh and while I never know what to expect from their idiocy, if the tabloids thought it was coming home after England lost 1-0 to Belgium, I can't see even them slagging us off for losing this one. And if they do I hope their offices get a bunch of Croatian-style flares thrown at them. (Yes, of course they got them out after the equaliser. England has its beer. Croatia has its flares.)
Never underestimate the ability of the tabloids...

I think it's fair to say England tried to play safe after scoring and never managed to recover after the equalizer. They reverted to using Pickford for that quick counter and relying on corners and crosses, not putting the ball on the net on the first half cost them dearly. This doesn't produce thrilling football to watch but you can't deny it's effective.

That said England has a pretty good base team, with a strong defense and a great striker ( although he was mediocre today ). They desperately need to develop better passing midfielders, playing vertically doesn't translate well when the scoreboard is not on your side. Modric was on and off today but he did distribute the ball well and organized his team midfield pretty decently.

Schadenfreude. Leedvermaak. It's the best kind of entertainment. Stiff upper lip and onwards to the future.

And before you have a go at me.
I'm Dutch. I have been in this situation quite a bit more over the last decades.
I'm not going to have a go at you but it really is one of the great problems with the world, especially in the social media age. People are so quick to poke fun and glory in the misery of others rather being positive about the joy of others. There already is a mental health crisis and that is only going to get worse in the future. As the father of an 11 year old it's something I really worry about.

Bravo England. I waited waaaay too much time to see you have a good World Cup. I'll be looking forward to seeing you in Qatar. Be proud of your squad everybody, you have a great future ahead! :)

Croatia, on the other hand, MY GOD. They are 1 win away of joining the most exclusive club in Football: The World Cup Winners Club. Insane.

May the best team win on Sunday.

I'm not going to have a go at you but it really is one of the great problems with the world, especially in the social media age. People are so quick to poke fun and glory in the misery of others rather being positive about the joy of others. There already is a mental health crisis and that is only going to get worse in the future. As the father of an 11 year old it's something I really worry about.

If people go mental about football, they're already in need of professional help, because in the end, it's still only a game, played by grossly overpaid semi actors who usually do not give a rats ass about anyone but themselves.

Edit.

When I see people celebrating a win like a bunch of idiots, like those who destroyed public property (we have those here too), the first thing that crosses my mind is : morons.
Why in the **** do you feel the need to destroy your town when your teams wins or loses?

I have no sympathy at all for hooligans who die or get injured in a fight between rivalling teams. You´re a special kind of idiot if you feel the need to represent a sports team in that way. England has there fair share of idiots, we have them here too, but at a smaller scale. Thankfully.

Back