2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

• Thread starter Famine
  • 414 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Syria's unlikely World Cup bid is done, lost to Australia 3-2 in a play-off, but that was over two legs and extra time, good effort by Syria considering. 👍

Updated rankings.

1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Portugal
4. Argentina
5. Belgium
6. Poland
7. France
8. Spain
9. Chile
10. Peru
11. Switzerland
12. England
13. Colombia
14. Wales
15. Italy
16. Mexico
17. Uruguay
18. Croatia
19. Denmark
20. Netherlands
------------------------
23. N.Ireland
26. Ireland
29. Scotland

Thought id post the top 20 this time, the top six remain the same, France up to seventh and Peru now in the top ten, Spain up three as well, England up three and Wales down one. Netherlands up nine places.

European Play-Off draw is 1pm tomorrow GMT, eight teams with four of them seeded will be drawn against the unseeded. The seeded teams are Denmark, Switzerland, Croatia and Italy, the unseeded teams are N.Ireland, Ireland, Sweden and Greece. N.Ireland would've been seeded if they didn't lose their last two qualifiers.

Updated rankings.

1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Portugal
4. Argentina
5. Belgium
6. Poland
7. France
8. Spain
9. Chile
10. Peru

Viva el Perú!!!
giphy.gif

European section Play-Off draw

Northern Ireland v Switzerland
Croatia v Greece
Denmark v Ireland
Sweden v Italy

First legs to be played between 9th and 11th of November and the seconds to be played between 12th and 14th November.

I reckon Switzerland, Croatia, Ireland and Italy will go through....
Well, Denmark is a way smaller country than France.

Yes, I'm still salty about that.

The European play-offs start tomorrow night with Northern Ireland v Switzerland. Croatia v Greece and Sweden v Italy will be on Friday with Denmark v Ireland on Saturday.

Who could have expected 5 goals from Croatia vs Greece? I heard Croatia's new manager was more attack-minded than his predecessor, I never thought it'd be to this extent.

It's just my luck that I've an interview on Monday, but then again, Ireland games are just turgid to watch and a few pints won't fix that.

Northern Ireland were a tad unlucky tonight, a contentious penalty for Switzerland converted for a 0-1 win, but then again it was all Switzerland.

New Zeland vs. Peru playoff game tonight or today!!! Let's go Peru!! To break 36 years of misery!!!!

Sweden beat Italy 1-0 in the Euro play off last night, Denmark v Ireland tonight.

Sweden beat Italy 1-0 in the Euro play off last night, Denmark v Ireland tonight.
Meanwhile, outside of Europe, Senegal qualified for the finals with a 2-0 win over South Africa in the rearranged match following the original game referee's lifetime ban, and the two Intercontinental Playoff first legs (New Zealand - Peru; Honduras - Australia) ended 0-0.

Sweden beat Italy 1-0 in the Euro play off last night...

Truly embarrassing for Italy. Between them and the USA, this has been a terrible year for the National soccer teams I follow.

At this rate I will have no one to root for next summer. :nervous:

Meanwhile, outside of Europe, Senegal qualified for the finals
Joined this evening by Morocco, who beat Cote d'Ivoire to qualify, and Tunisia thanks to a 0-0 draw putting them out of reach of DR Congo.

And that completes the African section of the draw, with a few dead games left to play next week.

Horrible way to go for Northern Ireland last night, drew 0-0 with Switzerland but lost 1-0 on aggregate thanks to that shocking penalty decision in the first leg, got to feel for them. 👎

Croatia went through thanks to their 4-1 first leg drubbing of Greece, second leg was 0-0 last night.

The last time Italy failed to qualify for a World Cup was in 1958, there a real possibility that they wont qualify for next years one as they are 1-0 down to Sweden, second leg in the San Siro is tonight, hard to imagine a World Cup without Italy...

Italy isn't going to make it. Their attacks lack the finishing touch. And Sweden isn't really buckling under the pressure.

Into the extra time we go. 5 minutes.

ITALY ARE OUT!!! SWEDEN GOES TO RUSSIA!

Last edited:
The last European play off second leg is tonight and its all to play for between Ireland-Denmark as the first leg was a fairly dull 0-0, hard one to call...

Aside from that there is the CONCAFAF/AFC play off between Australia and Honduras and that's also 0-0 which takes place tomorrow and on Thursday its the OFC/CONMEBOL play off between Peru-New Zealand which again is 0-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back