2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

• Thread starter Famine
  • 414 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
First up in OFC, if Fiji do not beat New Zealand in Group A, both Fiji and New Caledonia will be eliminated.
Nice to see New Caledonia following in the footsteps of Old Caledonia by not qualifying for the World Cup.

@Dennisch

smugkoeman.png

He should let the KNVB know that they can go **** themselves. It's a shame for the Dutch squad, and everyone who has a heart for them, but if the players had any balls, not just the ones they kicked on the pitch, they would have spoken out against Blind and his miserable tactics, and against the KNVB and their ****** back room politics.

Another tournament missed. Another summer without beer drinking in the sun watching Oranje. Just think about how much money the Dutch economy will be missing once again.

First up in OFC, if Fiji do not beat New Zealand in Group A, both Fiji and New Caledonia will be eliminated.
This happened.
In AFC, Thailand will be out if they lose to Japan and Australia picks up a point. No team can qualify yet, but Iran would be on the brink with a win over China and a poor result for Syria in South Korea.
This also all happened.
Venezuela can already no longer directly qualify for the finals, with only the intercontinental playoff left in reach. They will be dumped out if they either do not beat Chile, or if Ecuador gains a single point at home to Colombia.
Aaand so has this.

The Tahiti thing hasn't happened yet because they're on the other side of the International Date Line, but Bolivia also fell out today.

There's a couple of teams that can qualify with their next match now, and some more eliminations, so roll on June!

Australia were lucky to pick up points from both games. The backs were sloppy, the midfield were inconsistent, and the strikers were non-existent. Despite remaining undefeated (with 2 wins and 4 draws!) we remain behind Japan and Saudi Arabia in 3rd.
Expect a poor Confederations cup result from us if we play like this in June :indiff:

Some places are reporting that Brazil - 11pt clear of 5th with 4 games left - have qualified, but I'm struggling to work out how. There must be a game left between two top 5 sides which will prevent at least one of them passing them...

Some places are reporting that Brazil - 11pt clear of 5th with 4 games left - have qualified, but I'm struggling to work out how. There must be a game left between two top 5 sides which will prevent at least one of them passing them...
Yep, I think it is because Uruguay and Argentina have to play, and while either team can top Brazil, it's not possible for both to reach 33 pts hence Brazil have qualified.

Yep, I think it is because Uruguay and Argentina have to play, and while either team can top Brazil, it's not possible for both to reach 33 pts hence Brazil have qualified.
I've also been trying to work out why Bolivia have been eliminated despite beating Argentina 2-0 in the last match, and it turns out it's because Ecuador play Argentina in the last round of matches... but since Ecuador lost 2-0 in the last match I couldn't work out why Bolivia wasn't already eliminated beforehand. It transpires it's because Chile beat Venezuela...

Edit: Right, we're all up to date now.

Last edited:
World Cup qualification is back this week. South American and African teams don't play until August, but there's games in the other confederations, with qualification and elimination possible from Asia this week, while Oceania's final play-off to determine the confederation play-off finalist will be decided, and some other games in Europe and North America that won't decide anyone's qualification or elimination.

World Cup qualification is back this week.
Don't remind us :ill:

Perhaps fortunately, I'm almost certainly going to miss the Scotland v England game on Saturday, since relatives from Canada are visiting. That said, I think it could be a good game, but I am not holding out much hope for a Scotland win.

Oranje is getting close to winning a game that counts! 5-0 up!

Against Luxembourg.

Oranje is getting close to winning a game that counts! 5-0 up!

Against Luxembourg.
Well, Switzerland only beat the Faroes 2-0 - and Gibraltar was 3 minutes away from a point too!

Well, Switzerland only beat the Faroes 2-0 - and Gibraltar was 3 minutes away from a point too!

And Sweden beat France 2-1. That wasn't supposed to happen. :lol:

edit.

And the winning goal is a brilliant one.

Would certainly open the group up a bit if they did.

Hope both sets of fans behave, Police are a bit worried because its a later kick-off.

Would certainly open the group up a bit if they did.
Not that much. England's lead is large and I doubt they're going to do anything but win it. In fact I think that once the 10 games are played it will end up that they already have enough points at this stage that no-one would have caught them anyway.

But I like to see the Home Nations at these competitions, and if Scotland do not win today and either Slovakia or Slovenia do, I think they will not have enough to manage second.

Speaking of Home Nations, it'll be over for Wales I think if they don't at least get a point from Serbia tomorrow night, I'm not hopeful with Bale.

Pretty boring first half.

Kieran Tierney bossing it at the back though, what a player.

Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Leigh Griffiths.

EDIT: Lucky 🤬

Once again we snatch a draw from the jaws of victory.

Welcome to our world.

The last five minutes of that game just illustrated, in a precise manner, exactly what it's like to be Scottish.

Last edited:
USA plays in Mexico tonight after beating Trinidad & Tobago through a Pulisic brace earlier in the week. The US never plays well in Mexico so I'll be ecstatic with a draw.

But I like to see the Home Nations at these competitions, and if Scotland do not win today and either Slovakia or Slovenia do, I think they will not have enough to manage second.
Scotland did not win and both Slovakia and Slovenia did.

This leaves Scotland a win and four goals off 3rd - and two games and nine goals off second. They have Slovakia and Slovenia to play yet, but the bad news is that the two have to play each other (increasing that distance by at least a point), and while Scotland still have to play Malta, so do Slovakia.

I think it's all over :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back