2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

• Thread starter Famine
  • 414 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vardy just put England 2-0 and they did a mannequin celebration! :lol:

Jürgen Klinsmann could be on his way out of the USA job after 5 years. They've lost their opening two games including last night's heavy 4-0 defeat to Costa Rica.

It's the USA's heaviest qualifying defeat since 1980.

Terrible game by the US last night. I'm getting nervous that we won't even qualify at this point. :nervous:

Edit. Klinsmann fired.

Last edited:
Terrible game by the US last night. I'm getting nervous that we won't even qualify at this point. :nervous:

Edit. Klinsmann fired.

Welp I'm reading US Soccer may hire Arena again. Good or bad, one thing for sure is that the US needed a new direction. There's still plenty of qualifying to go so I won't put us in panic mode. Right now the situation is concerning, but not unfixable.

OK then its been a while since anyone has posted here but its time to wake it up from its Winter slumber as some squads were announced earlier for the upcoming International Break

Wales: Hennessey, Ward, Fon Williams, Davies, Chester, Collins, Walsh, Gunter, Richards, Taylor, Ash Williams, Allen, Edwards, King, Lawrence, Ledley, MacDonald, Ramsey, Bale, Robson-Kanu, Bradshaw, Vokes, Woodburn.

Bale back in the squad after long injury lay off and congrats to both Joe Walsh and Liverpool youngster Ben Woodburn for winning their first call ups, Wales play one match which is a massive qualifier away to Ireland.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England: Forster, Heaton, Hart, Bertrand, Cahill, Clyne, Jones, Keane, Shaw, Smalling, Stones, Walker, Alli, Antonio, Barkley, Dier, Lallana, Lingard, Livermore, Ox-Chamberlain, Redmond, Sterling, Ward-Prowse, Defoe, Rashford, Vardy.

Big news there is Defoe getting a recall at the age of 34, no Kane, Rooney, Henderson, Walcott, Sturridge or Welbeck, Livermore also return having made his sole England appearance in 2012. England have a friendly away to Germany before a home qualifier to Lithuania.

OK then its been a while since anyone has posted here
Well, there haven't been any matches since November...
England: Forster, Heaton, Hart, Bertrand, Cahill, Clyne, Jones, Keane, Shaw, Smalling, Stones, Walker, Alli, Antonio, Barkley, Dier, Lallana, Lingard, Livermore, Ox-Chamberlain, Redmond, Sterling, Ward-Prowse, Defoe, Rashford, Vardy.
Meanwhile, here is the list of absolutely world-class players that would walk into any national team if they were eligible in that selection:

And to be honest I wouldn't know half of them if I fell over them.

If Ireland win next week I'll be booking tickets to Russia straight away.

If we don't win, we won't qualify. :indiff:

talkSport were having an aneurysm over Ben Woodburn being included in the Wales squad because he's from Chester. He's played for Wales at U-14, U-16, U-17 and U-19 level. For all we know, he could be a flash in the pan. He's seven-bloody-teen for god's sake. He doesn't need this kind of attention. Chris Coleman rightly says that he's been part of our set up for a long time and he is clearly motivated to play for Wales. We might be struggling on the pitch but Chris Coleman knows how to handle the press vultures. He's great.

Funny how talkSh:censored: never mention Raheem Sterling being Jamaican. It's always "England's Raheem Sterling" and not "Jamaican-born Raheem Sterling". John Barnes and Owen Hargreaves always get a pass too. And I distinctly remember calls for Manuel Almunia to play for England when he hit even an ounce of form as well as people turbo:censored: over Adnan Januzaj after he made his debut for Man United.

There's nothing wrong with the playing for another country aspect. It's pure hypocrisy to get worked up in a tizz the second it works against you.

Media sluts.

US play Honduras on Friday, 3/24 and Panama on Monday, 3/27. Must win games as they currently sit last on goal difference with 0 points in the final qualifying group.

Great job keeping up with everything in the OPs @Famine.

Here's the fixtures for this weekend.

Friday

Group I

Turkey v Finland
Kosovo v Iceland
Croatia v Ukraine

Group D
Ireland v Wales
Georgia v Serbia
Austria v Moldova

Group G
Liechtenstein v Macedonia
Spain v Israel
Italy v Albania

Saturday

Group H

Cyprus v Estonia
Bosnia v Gibraltar
Belgium v Greece

Group A
Sweden v Belarus
Bulgaria v Netherlands
Luxembourg v France

Group B
Switzerland v Latvia
Andorra v Faroe Islands
Portugal v Hungary

Sunday

Group F

England v Lithuania
Scotland v Slovenia
Malta v Slovakia

Group C
San Marino v Czech Republic
Azerbaijan v Germany
Northern Ireland v Norway

Group E
Armenia v Kazakhstan
Romania v Denmark
Montenegro v Poland

Kick Off times vary.

Some friendlies tonight including Germany v England and Scotland v Canada.

Australia plays Iraq (in Iran) tonight, followed by UAE in Sydney 5 days later. Some media outlets here are concerned at our progress despite us being undefeated (2 draws away, 1 win away, 1 draw at home and 1 win at home). Hopefully good results in these next two games would put those concerns to rest.

Here's the next two rounds for qualifying in Asia look like:

Group B

23rd March
Iraq Vs Australia
Thailand Vs Saudi Arabia
UAE Vs Japan

28th March
Australia Vs UAE
Japan Vs Thailand
Saudi Arabia Vs Iraq

Group A

23rd March
China Vs South Korea
Syria Vs Uzbekistan
Qatar Vs Iran

28th March
South Korea Vs Syria
Iran Vs China
Uzbekistan Vs Qatar

Updated AFC, OFC and CONMEBOL for games on 23rd. Little change, but Venezuela are now on the very brink of elimination and can currently only qualify through the Intercontinental playoff.

Middlesbrough's Ben Gibson called up to the England squad, his first call up.

Cmon Wales!!!!

Edit, it finishes 0-0 but the game has been overshadowed by the shocking late challenge by Neil Taylor on Seamus Coleman which left Coleman with what looked like a broken leg.

Last edited:
US beat Honduras 6-0 and get out of the basement of their group. Not bad for their first national team game after Klinsmann was fired last year.

Danny has prepped the squad well to perform so good against Bulgaria.

Still struggling to put my finger on why Danny Blind got the job in the first place.

Back room politics at the KNVB.

Edit.

And we're not losing because Bulgaria is playing high level football. They're ****. But we are even worse.

What's worse than ****?

Edit 2.

Bulgaria 2. The Netherlands 0.

4th place. 5 played. 7 points.

Last edited:
Belgium only managed a point against 9-man Greece....

Comfortable 2-0 win for England over Lithuania with goals from Defoe and Vardy, N.Ireland beat Norway 2-0 to go second in their group and Scotland beat Slovenia 1-0.

Still struggling to put my finger on why Danny Blind got the job in the first place.
Yeh, I can't see why they went for Blind either.

Great result for Scotland last night, and a well deserved win. They were all over Slovenia but it looked like it would be a frustrating 0-0 draw after having a goal disallowed (rightly), hitting the post and missing a number of good chances... in the end they got a bit of luck and a shot that probably would not have resulted in a goal took a slight deflection and went in with 2 minutes remaining. It has saved Gordon Strachan's bacon and put Scotland right back in the mix, although it is still a tall order for Scotland to claim 2nd spot and therefore a chance of qualification - but Scotland showed a great deal of determination and their efforts paid off, so it was a good night all round for us.

Belgium only managed a point against 9-man Greece....
I caught the end of this game. The part where the Greek defender almost heads in an own goal and then in the dying minutes the 10th man was sent off. Lukaku was going nuts and almost got two yellows for his antics.

Frank de Boer has said nope against the Dutch manager position.

Ronald Koeman has said nope against the Dutch manager position.

Updated UEFA and CONCACAF up to games on 26th.

28th sees an almost full match program across confederations other than CAF (presumably on a post-AFCON break of competition) and UEFA which has opted not to go with the double-headers this time, and there can be a few eliminations today as a result.

First up in OFC, if Fiji do not beat New Zealand in Group A, both Fiji and New Caledonia will be eliminated. Similarly in Group B, Tahiti will eliminate Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands with a win over PNG, setting up the final round in August/September despite two games remaining in each group...

In AFC, Thailand will be out if they lose to Japan and Australia picks up a point. No team can qualify yet, but Iran would be on the brink with a win over China and a poor result for Syria in South Korea.

Venezuela can already no longer directly qualify for the finals, with only the intercontinental playoff left in reach. They will be dumped out if they either do not beat Chile, or if Ecuador gains a single point at home to Colombia.

USA has a match in Panama tonight. Hoping for at least a draw to keep climbing up the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back