2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

• Thread starter Famine
  • 414 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ireland 1-5 Denmark.

Denmark get the last European slot at the World Cup after a demolition job in Dublin, Ireland actually took the lead!

There were also four meaningless matches in CAF - meaningless, as all the teams had already qualified and, although a couple of group positions could have changed, they didn't.

South Africa finished bottom of their group (Senegal, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde). Ghana finished second bottom, behind Egypt and Uganda...

Current score between Australia and Honduras is Australia 3, Honduras0

Edit: Australia got a penalty kick and scored.
Edit 2: Australia got aother penalty kick and scored.

The first goal was an own goal from what the announcers say.

Last edited:
How many Australian cities is Mile Jedinak going to be presented with after that?

How many Australian cities is Mile Jedinak going to be presented with after that?

Well if he is an australian citizen and not a citizen of another country he can be an MP and help the sinking ship known has the HMAS Liberal

Some people do take their football quite seriously and start riots.
Say that to us peruvians, honestly, you guys cannot believe how the party is here 12 hours before our playoff match!!

ARRIBA PERU!!!

Peru_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

I really want New Zealand to win tonight. Tumblr and their sensitive associates will go bat **** crazy seeing a team named the All Whites gaining a lot of attention.

I think this sums up my reaction to that match last night:
23519275_10155486615774442_4458352714709651230_n.jpg

I'd say none considering where football soccer really sits in the sporting popularity stakes in Australia.
Still from a personal perspective nice to see them through again.

Peru is going to the world cup!!

Peru is going to the world cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE WAITING IT'S OVER!!!! PERU IT'S GOING TO THE WORLD CUP AFTER 36 YEARS!!!! NO KIDDING!!!! NO MORE CURSES!!!!! NO MORE MAFIA!!!!!! NO MORE 1982!!!!!! ALLA VAMOS RUSSIA!!!!!!!! VIVA EL PERU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys cannot believe how the party is over here!!! Every car, bus, taxi, restaurant, bar..., EVERYBODY CHEERING, DRINKING, RUNNING.... A FULL NATIONAL PARTY!!!!!

¡¡¡¡¡VIVA EL PERÚ!!!!!!

/

Last edited:
Another World Cup with no OFC participation. Pity that despite expanding the teams participating they can't find a guaranteed slot for OFC. Okay, so there may only be 11 OFC teams, and they may have an average ranking of 170th, but they don't get better by excluding them from high-ranking tournaments - and it's a negative feedback loop. The fewer high-ranking games they play, the fewer ranking points they get, so the lower their ranking, the lower their confederation ranking and the fewer opportunities they have to play high-ranking games...

In fact New Zealand is a case in point. When they played at the World Cup in 2010, after the Confederations Cup in 2009, they hit 63rd in the rankings. They played three games in the next 12 months, and dropped to 119th. No World Cup for them in 2014, and they dropped to 134th, and then 151st the following year. Back in the top 100 after 2017's Confederations Cup (although they had a very bad tournament), now dropped down to 122nd.

They should rise in the rankings for November, despite being knocked out, because of a 0-0 draw (1pt) with a top 10 nation (x1.9) in a World Cup qualifier (x2.5) at maximum possible confederation weighting for OFC (x0.925) giving them 439pt, even with the defeat averaging it back out to 219pt for the month - their 2017 average should rise by around 20pt, on the strength of that draw. For reference, that draw is their highest-scoring match this year (next is 318pt for a 6-1 win against the Solomon Islands) due to the opponent's ranking, confederation multiplier and match significance.

Anyway, the pots for the draw on December 1st look like this:
Pot A
Russia (hosts)
Germany (1)
Brazil (2)
Portugal (3)
Argentina (4)
Belgium (5)
Poland (6)
France (7)

Pot B
Spain (8)
Peru (10)
Switzerland (11)
England (12)
Colombia (13)
Mexico (16)
Uruguay (17)
Croatia (18)

Pot 3
Denmark (19)
Iceland (21)
Costa Rica (22)
Sweden (25)
Tunisia (28)
Egypt (30)
Senegal (32)
Iran (34)

Pot 4
Serbia (38)
Nigeria (41)
Australia (43)
Japan (44)
Morocco (48)
Panama (49)
South Korea (62)
Saudi Arabia (63)

Aside from UEFA, no two teams from the same Confederation can be drawn into the same group, and no more than two teams from UEFA can be drawn into the same group.

The groups with the lowest average ranking possible would be:
Brazil
Spain
Costa Rica
Serbia

and
Brazil
Spain
Denmark
Nigeria

I'd say that the Group of Death would probably be:
Germany/Brazil
Mexico
Egypt
Serbia

or
Germany
Colombia
Egypt
Serbia

or
Portugal
Spain
Egypt
Nigeria

While any team drawn in this group would be incredibly optimistic about the next round:
Poland
Peru/England*
Iceland*/Senegal
Panama

Last edited:
Yeah i heard about that yesterday, an interesting idea but with a few flaws, the main one being that if this proposed tournament is on during the World Cup then who would watch it over the World Cup?, and how many of those nations' key players would actually be there/want to be there?

Yeah totally agree would need ironing out all the flaws and not be allowed to take away from the prestige of the World cup?
But the idea is there for something, especially the so called smaller nations and those that didn,t qualify. I.E the likes of Holland/Italy/Chile and such like.

A little example of the national party was yesterday/midnight/morning... My blanquirroja, flag, shoes (stepped including the former) and wool hat covered in beer, tears and joy!! :gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag:

23559727_1714788658539509_1230965792390551124_n.jpg

And here's some of the best videos I could find in less than a day showing the emotion of the local commentators (I reccommend you to grab a tissue before)!!! :(:(

->official broadcast!!

Even newspapers couldn't hold the emotion!!

5a0d23a76eaf1.jpg 5a0d7fe8095c3.jpg ODCL161117_01.jpg 1698348-001.jpg 5a0d25107463d.jpg (yes, that's a peruvian newspaper lol)pe_republica.750.jpg ojo.jpg

Oh, I forgot, I know it's not the right thread... But I promess a Peruvian-colored Genesis Gr.3 as soon as I get my PS4!!!!

ARRIBA PERÚ!!!!!!

Last edited:
Another World Cup with no OFC participation. Pity that despite expanding the teams participating they can't find a guaranteed slot for OFC. Okay, so there may only be 11 OFC teams, and they may have an average ranking of 170th, but they don't get better by excluding them from high-ranking tournaments - and it's a negative feedback loop. The fewer high-ranking games they play, the fewer ranking points they get, so the lower their ranking, the lower their confederation ranking and the fewer opportunities they have to play high-ranking games...

In fact New Zealand is a case in point. When they played at the World Cup in 2010, after the Confederations Cup in 2009, they hit 63rd in the rankings. They played three games in the next 12 months, and dropped to 119th. No World Cup for them in 2014, and they dropped to 134th, and then 151st the following year. Back in the top 100 after 2017's Confederations Cup (although they had a very bad tournament), now dropped down to 122nd.

That's exactly why Australia decided to move over to the AFC - basically spent all of our time smashing the Oceania teams before the predictable Trans-Tasman derby followed by losing to whatever other confederation we played against. The ranking pattern was exactly the same as it is for New Zealand and, even though we did get through against Uruguay in 2005, that was effectively an accumulation of the previous failed campaigns combined with the great players we had at the time.
IMHO the OFC and AFC should be amalgamated, or if travel time is a concern have an Asia-Pacific region and a West Asia region (fun fact, we broke the record this campaign for both the most matches to qualify and the longest distance traveled - at 22 matches and 155,000 miles)

Updated World Rankings

1.Germany
2.Brazil
3.Portugal
4.Argentina
5.Belguim
6.Spain
7.Poland
8.Switzerland
9.France
10.Chile
11.Peru
12.Denmark
13.Colombia
14.Italy
15.England
16.Mexico
17.Croatia
18.Sweden
19.Wales
20.Netherlands

24.N.Ireland
32.Scotland
32.Ireland

Top 5 stay the same, Switzerland up three and both Sweden and Denmark are up seven places after World Cup qualification, Italy move above England who drop three places despite not qualifying, Wales down five places, Scotland and Ireland tied 32nd with Iran.

World Cup draw is next Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back