2018 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand PrixFormula 1 

Which park is that?
Not sure but someone says it is Goodwood (so video posted yesterday but actually captured on a earlier date?)

PS Just read that FIA started an extra investigation for the wheelguns used during pitstops. Has to be clear/solved asap

Roo
I'm not sure where it is but I'm certain it's not Goodwood.
I was/am also in doubt because of the large industrial building at the end of the video. Right? Maybe a Chinese park between Bahrein and China GP?
Sherlock were are you when we need you ;)

All fair points, I can’t disagree with any of them.

I wasn’t suggesting dropping pit stops for next race, or next season - because like you say, with these cats, races would be really boring. I’m thinking more 2021 and beyond. If the cars didn’t rely on pit strategy to create action, maybe we wouldn’t need pit stops. That’s all I’ve really been saying, but apparently that’s too much for some (not you specifically) :lol:
But then what? The faster cars qualify and start ahead, order is never mixed up due to variables like pitstops, tyre deg, fuel loads, and there's no exciting racing either way even if it was easier to overtake. The formula isn't perfect, obviously, but pitstops are far from the issue. 2005, as has been said, was one of the worst and most controversial years for racing purely due to the elimination of the tyre variable.

F1 just can't be end to end like most other non-motorsports, and the cutting edge of technology, strategy and aero pushed to the limits over 2 hours at the same time. The variables are artificial manipulation, but with good intentions. The Pirelli era has arguably had the best on track racing of any era since the cars became heavily aero sensitive.

The problem is not the pitstop, but the speed at which it is done. They thrive to find that extra thousanth of a second of advantage but inevitably, human error still plays a part. Sure, it's absolutely mesmerizing to see a 3 second tire change, but it doesn't leave a lot of reaction time if something goes wrong. I'm not suggesting a minimum pitstop time like they do in most GT series (Blancpain, ADAC, British GT, International Open and so on and so forth) but do they really need 3 persons per tire, and two backup jackmen?

I mean, that's a lot of people doing nothing:
1479379769463.jpg

But then what? The faster cars qualify and start ahead, order is never mixed up due to variables like pitstops, tyre deg, fuel loads, and there's no exciting racing either way even if it was easier to overtake. The formula isn't perfect, obviously, but pitstops are far from the issue. 2005, as has been said, was one of the worst and most controversial years for racing purely due to the elimination of the tyre variable.

F1 just can't be end to end like most other non-motorsports, and the cutting edge of technology, strategy and aero pushed to the limits over 2 hours at the same time. The variables are artificial manipulation, but with good intentions. The Pirelli era has arguably had the best on track racing of any era since the cars became heavily aero sensitive.
I’d agree with most of that. I don’t think pit stops are the major issue with F1, it would probably be a lot more boring without them....I just brought up removing them as a “what if”, in light of the accident during the Ferrari stop. Im also talking about post 2021 at the least, if not even further down the road - I could have been more clear that I was wasn’t talking about an emidiate change.

As someone who likes to watch motorsports as a whole, I don’t need to watch F1 to watch pit stops. Personally, I just want to see a pure drivers contest - no teams, no pitwall strategy...just the drivers. I realize it’s a pipe dream, but I thought I’d still mentioned it for fun (didn’t realize it would be so annoying ;))

I also realize you can’t make a direct comparison to something like MotoGP, or even Touring car racing - both of which have no pit stops, but both run shorter distances with less tire load. I get that. I just think if the right heads come together, F1 could ditch pit stops. Again, probably won’t happen, if for no other reason than majority of fans want pit stops.

So if we need to have stops
The problem is not the pitstop, but the speed at which it is done. They thrive to find that extra thousanth of a second of advantage but inevitably, human error still plays a part. Sure, it's absolutely mesmerizing to see a 3 second tire change, but it doesn't leave a lot of reaction time if something goes wrong. I'm not suggesting a minimum pitstop time like they do in most GT series (Blancpain, ADAC, British GT, International Open and so on and so forth) but do they really need 3 persons per tire, and two backup jackmen?

I mean, that's a lot of people doing nothing:
1479379769463.jpg
I agree that the current stops have too many over the wall. It’s impressive, but at the same time, doesn’t add much to the show. One way of looking at it is that the 2 second stops cost the fans seeing Haas get a really good finish, and deprived us of seeing Kimi in the mix at the end of the race.

I’d be in favor if fewer crew over the wall, maybe take it as far as they do in Super Formula, with only 3 guys changing the tires.

To me, that is equally as impressive, and the individual effort by the two tire changers is immense. If pit stops must be a part of F1, I’d rather see three guys put in an incredible athletic performance rather than watch 22 guys make 2 arm motions each.

A step backwards, but I do think just one guy per wheel would help things go more smoothly. Less room for error and fewer people in the way in case of an accident.

If the cars didn’t rely on pit strategy to create action

While they did go a step too far in this direction with the changes to tire rules... the much-ballyhooed "fragile" tires mandated by the FIA, for example... they've pulled it back. I don't think I would like to go back to single compound races... having this mix of different tire compounds makes things interesting. Still don't like the idea of a mandatory, but having a three-compound spread over the race weekend, as we do now, is a nice compromise.

Let's see how the season goes. ;)

Back