2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments

“Switching to Toyota” and the “Switching to Toyota with JGR support” that people had initially speculated would happen aren’t the same thing, since BK Racing used to be an officially Toyota supported team and it didn’t help them. Just switching manufacturers won’t do a whole lot for LFR’s performance. They’ll still be a 20-25th place car. Which is still an improvement for Dibenedetto I guess at least.

Edit: Apparently they’ll be using JGR chassis

Last edited:
Kevin Meendering To the 48. He's the current crew chief for Elliott Sadler in the Xfinity Series!

This may be one of the worst plate races i have ever seen in my life....

I agree although I hate plate racing in general and think it's so unnecessary. This is ridiculous. SHR cars leading by multiple seconds over the rest of the pack upwards of 7 seconds at one point. No passing just a freight train.

YES! Great to see Almirola finally win in that 10 car after coming so close like 4 or 5 other times this year. Been a fan of his since he came out of nowhere running strong in that 47 Morgan-Dollar truck years ago. Sucks the other SHR guys ran out of gas, they deserved to have good finishes after that performance.

I have no problem with this race today. It actually looks like it required skill (mostly engineering, but also driving) for the first time at a plate race in a long time, and wasn’t just a crapshoot.

SHR was the most dominant anyone has been since DEI in the early 00’s, and even they couldn’t get all of their cars running single file gapping the field like SHR were today.

I feel so sorry for Kyle Larson being stuck at that mediocre Ganassi team. If he was in SHR or Gibbs equipment he would win 15 races a year and wouldn’t be stuck on the outside looking in having to lose races on purpose at Homestead every year. He’s wasting the prime years of his career.

Last edited:
Having just caught the finish on Youtube, I gotta say, that was an epically rubbish ending.

EDIT: Agreed in full on Kyle Larson. Maybe he can step in the 48 car when Jimmie retires.

That’s what I like to hear! Hope for the future! Aussie Supercars on ovals is basically exactly the direction I hope NASCAR goes in
Back when the CoT was introduced a lot of people had been thinking that was the first step in NASCAR trying to re-invent itself as a proper touring car series. Now that they have no reason to stubbornly cling to the last bits of the gool ol' boy moonshine runner image anymore, maybe they can actually do that and get something resembling an identity going again.

Using Aussie Supercars as a template ain't a bad idea either, since the cars are pretty similar at a fundamental level.

This weekend is XFINITY and Cup at Kansas Speedway. But first, allow me to share something.

Last night, though, I saw the NASCAR Whelen Europe Series in a live stream on YouTube last night. It was very interesting seeing some of the cars and drivers competing in NASCAR's European championship. NASCAR Europe this weekend was racing at Circuit Park Zolder in Belgium. Like in the States, Chevrolet, Ford, and Toyota are represented. There are both the Camaro and the SS raced in this series for the Chevy drivers. The Mustang is used on the Ford side. Toyota has a better looking Camry stock car than what is raced in America's NASCAR. The stream I saw was of qualifying for the race at Zolder. It was an interesting experience, even to stay up in the 4:00 AM EDT hour to see the action live in NASCAR Europe. As of the time of this post, there will be a few Final races coming up at Zolder for NASCAR Europe at Zolder.

Back to the States, meanwhile... good luck to all drivers and teams at Kansas this weekend, and congratulations to all who make it to the next playoff round.

Back