2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
Texas was duller than hell. Easily the worst race I've been to. I was legitimately falling asleep in the stands. I can't even think of a bad analogy for it, there was a bit of leap frog, but a conga line would have been more entertaining.

Sorry to interject, I'll go back to lurking poorly.

IMG_3236.JPG

To be the same track, that is quite a different look with the pit road running from the middle of the backstretch to the middle of the frontstretch. Even the frontstretch grandstands are all gone.

At the end of the day, the same setup that was fast before will still be fast, no matter where the start/finish line sits, or where you enter and exit pit road. Look for Harvick to come out with a FAST car this weekend, just like every other race at Phoenix in the past 4-5 years.

I wonder if Harvick or Stewart knew they had a cheater at Texas? You've got to believe Harvick will be mentally devastated going into Phoenix. His championship hopes traditionally dissolve here, and I'm predicting they will once again.

I'd like to know why they changed pit road. What's the plan for the open space in turns 1 & 2 3 & 4?
Pit road itself didn't change shape or length. Pretty much what they did was demolish the old grandstands, move the start/finish line, build new stands at that spot, and completely re-do the infield.

Haven't been to a race in years at PIR. Used to go all the time with my Dad. We would go the whole weekend and camp out at the track. Unfortunately he passed away last week so we won't have another chance to do that, but it would have been nice to go in his honor. Unfortunately it was too late to make plans, so I'll try again in the spring. Going to be nice this weekend, mid to low 70's and sunny.

Pit road itself didn't change shape or length. Pretty much what they did was demolish the old grandstands, move the start/finish line, build new stands at that spot, and completely re-do the infield.

Haven't been to a race in years at PIR. Used to go all the time with my Dad. We would go the whole weekend and camp out at the track. Unfortunately he passed away last week so we won't have another chance to do that, but it would have been nice to go in his honor. Unfortunately it was too late to make plans, so I'll try again in the spring. Going to be nice this weekend, mid to low 70's and sunny.
Something definitely changed on pit road.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure you had some great memories at the track.

Edit: Ahh...really messed up my post. I was going to say they definitely moved in pit road.
Phoenix-Raceway-1-0f8754bc5056b3a_0f87571f-5056-b3a8-49365515efb97539.jpg

It would’ve looked much nicer if the infield section between the pits and old turn 1 and 2 was grass, but it probably wouldnt have been too practical.

Haven't been to a race in years at PIR. Used to go all the time with my Dad. We would go the whole weekend and camp out at the track. Unfortunately he passed away last week so we won't have another chance to do that, but it would have been nice to go in his honor.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I'd like to know why they changed pit road. What's the plan for the open space in turns 1 & 2 3 & 4?
I think it's going to be space for a "fan experience" thing, since putting butts in seats has been a problem there the last few years.

Heh heh! I think the intention was for a mass dive bomb, then sorting out the consequences in turn 3. More pleasure for the spectators.

Brett Moffitt won the truck race last night by passing the leaders on the apron in 1&2. Missed the race so I'm not sure if this was happening all night, but it looks like something out of a video game.

Last edited:
Leading with 2 laps left in stage 1, Harvick gets a flat! Pits for repairs with pits closed. Now he's 30 points below the cut line! And a lap down!

Clint Bowyer just blew a left rear tire going into 3! Rear of the car is destroyed. Clint Bowyers championship chances are done.

Wether you like this format or not, I've been on the edge of my seat for the past hour!
If Almirola wins this race, Harvick will not be in the final 4!

Back