2018 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 561 comments
Ryan Shazier walked on stage to announce the Steelers pick in the draft. I don't care about the pick, HE'S WALKING WITHOUT MUCH, IF ANY, ASSISTANCE! He won't play this season, may not play ever again, but considering what happened to him the fact that he IS walking is a fantastic thing!

Pleasently surprised that the Panthers went for a receiver first up. Thought for sure that they'd go for a defensive back. Outside of Olsen and maybe Funchess, it looks like Cam might actually have someone decent to throw the ball to now.

Ryan Shazier walked on stage to announce the Steelers pick in the draft. I don't care about the pick, HE'S WALKING WITHOUT MUCH, IF ANY, ASSISTANCE! He won't play this season, may not play ever again, but considering what happened to him the fact that he IS walking is a fantastic thing!
I wouldn't call that walking. More like compensating. He's ambulating...

His legs are probably numb and he is a shell of his former self. I wish him the best though

How about those Dolphins. I'm an so stoked that they picked Minkah. Best player in the draft imo. So happy for Cleveland screwing everything up.

The Cleveland Browns... uh, "Brons"... couldn't get a win last season. What CAN they get, though? Hard Knocks. Turns out the latest team to be in the Hard Knocks realm is Cleveland. So those of you who watch Hard Knocks may get yourselves plenty of "Brons" loving.

So you want to kneel before the National Anthem? Fine- go right ahead... just remember you will be penalized for it. That's what the NFL has ruled based on what I read in my Twitter news feed. I don't get into matters like this, but I don't really know what to make of something like this.

Jets' owner Chris Johnson said he would pay any fine that one of his players received for not standing during the anthem.

In other news, OBJ attended OTAs is close to medical clearance for the Giants.

I'll pop in here with a lighthearted (maybe) post. Earlier tonight, I saw two different videos highlighting the 2017 Cleveland Browns. Or... I'm sorry, the Cleveland "Brons." You know how they say that it's only funny when it isn't happening to you? I just can't help but be sorry for the Browns to stink this bad. Hell, even my Texans beat Cleveland last season, and my Texans didn't go much anywhere last season. I'm sure the Cleveland "Brons" wish they could have a situation where they are the NFL version of the Houston Astros- stink really bad, then build a dominant team that wins the championship. You can make fun of Cleveland all you want, but you have to respect their fan base stays with them despite the futility.

In case you don't know, the "Brons" reference was made when some on social media called the Browns the "Brons" because they couldn't get the "W" in any game last season. Some funny YouTube comment stated that Cleveland didn't lose in their Bye Week last season. Only one way to stop the jokes- win. Keep winning.

I'd like to spare thoughts for Houston Texans' Safety Andre Hal. He was diagnosed over the weekend with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I hope he is able to get better. Hal was pretty good for the Texans on the O-Line. The Texans' Twitter account even made "Hal" stand for "Hope and Love." I have no sort of optimism for the Texans this season, though I hope DeShaun Watson can stay healthy. The Texans were fun to watch since he took over from Tom Savage.

I'll pop in here with a lighthearted (maybe) post. Earlier tonight, I saw two different videos highlighting the 2017 Cleveland Browns. Or... I'm sorry, the Cleveland "Brons." You know how they say that it's only funny when it isn't happening to you? I just can't help but be sorry for the Browns to stink this bad. Hell, even my Texans beat Cleveland last season, and my Texans didn't go much anywhere last season. I'm sure the Cleveland "Brons" wish they could have a situation where they are the NFL version of the Houston Astros- stink really bad, then build a dominant team that wins the championship. You can make fun of Cleveland all you want, but you have to respect their fan base stays with them despite the futility.

Cleveland came out on the losing side of some really close games last year. As almost comical it is to say at this point, they were a better team than their record showed.

With the talent they’ve added this offseason I’m certain they improve.

Hot take Warning: The Browns go from 0-16 to making the playoffs as a wildcard.

Aside. As a Lions fan, I can’t help but being a little upset the Browns went 0-16. It’s not a good claim to fame, but it was OUR claim to fame. And that 0-16 Lions team was worse than those Browns (but arguably not worse than some of those other Lions teams we had).

The 2017 0-16 Browns would have completely demolished the 0-16 Lions if they played. That 2008 Lions team was by far the worst NFL team ever fielded in the past 20 years and easily could be in the running for worst roster of all time given how bad it was.

In taking a look at the upcoming 2018 season of the National Football League, I figured I'd devote this post to the AFC. These are all musings of mine in regards to the AFC. You all can offer your thoughts if you like.

--- AFC Talk ---

AFC EAST
For all intents and purposes, you aren't crap in the AFC if you don't beat the New England Patriots. They are still the team to beat. Some people even see the Patriots as the reason they don't follow the NFL much (unless you're a Patriots fan). There is all the drama that has surrounded the Pats over this offseason. But I think New England will be fine... unless all Hell breaks loose, of course. If a team could win on the proverbial holeshot (to use drag racing speak) against New England, it's Buffalo. I don't think the Bills will be any AFC East beast, but this may be the one team that could best New England. I keep thinking the Miami Dolphins are usually a tough out to challenge in the AFC East. I do keep believing in Miami, but whether or not they will actually emerge is what baffles me. Most people have seen the New York Jets as a clown show or a tomato can (or a "potato" as kids will refer to these days). I don't think the Jets will make too much noise, if any.

AFC WEST
The AFC West has a good amount of firepower along with some fire-breathing teams. I would watch out for teams like the Kansas City Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders. I am confident in the Denver Broncos, but not too confident. I CAN see Denver as an AFC Wild Card favorite. The Los Angeles Chargers probably won't do too much damage in the AFC West.

AFC NORTH
There is one very important question to ask about the AFC North- can the Cleveland "Brons" (Browns) win more games this season than they won last season? I tend to think the AFC North is Pittsburgh's to lose. My confidence is shaky in regards to the Baltimore Ravens and the Cincinnati Bengals. If I had to choose one of them to be better, part of me is sticking with the Bengals, but only slightly. Baltimore is rarely a sorry team. I don't expect Baltimore to fall apart or fall so high from grace. Unless the Cleveland Browns want to try to become the NFL version of Major League Baseball's Houston Astros, then I'm sure Cleveland will put together some wins. One GTPlaneteer was bold enough to predict the Browns will get an AFC Wild Card berth. We'll see if that holds up...

AFC SOUTH
My inner "fan boy" would say the Houston Texans will come back strong after a disappointing, injury-riddled 2017. What was the biggest surprise was the Jacksonville Jagaurs having such a baller season. They smashed my Texans twice last season. The Tennessee Titans are going to tough as usual. The AFC South may come down to Jacksonville and Tennessee. The Indianapolis Colts will probably improve a lot. Though I am not sure they can really become a viable threat in the division. And finally- my Houston Texans. The Texans could have been better if not for all of the injuries. There was even the controversial "inmates running the asylum" comments from the Texans' owner. The Texans finished with the same record they had in their inaugural season in 2002- 4-12. I would love for the Texans to return to being a solid offensive team and a beast on defense. I also would love for them to be ahead of schedule in these departments. If Deshaun Watson didn't go down a day after the Astros won the 2017 World Series, this Texans squad would be much better and probably finish better than their 2017 record.

And there you have it- AFC musings for the 2018 season. I will prepare another post for the NFC in the future. You all can still chime in on the AFC if you like.

It is with great sadness that I report that Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach, Tony Sporano, has died at the age of 56. My condolences go out to the Minnesota Vikings and all whom have known and loved Tony Sporano.

Guess what? Tonight is the start of NFL Preseason football! We got the Chicago Bears at the Baltimore Ravens tonight. So this will be our first look at the teams on the field apart from all of the off-season stuff. I know our SecretAgentZero will be interested seeing how the Ravens do.

Since this is the Preseason, remember these games don't mean anything. It's all dress rehearsal and "don't get injured" games. These games don't matter. If you win all of your Preseason games, good! If you lose all of your Preseason games, that's good too. Just be sure to win the games that matter. You know... like the regular season and (especially) the Playoffs. Do your thing, and we'll see you in Atlanta for Super Bowl LIII.

Enjoy the game if you'll be watching!

Are you ready for some [Preseason] football? Texans at Chiefs among other games tonight. Enjoy the action! And remember- winning and losing Preseason games don't mean anything. Just make sure your players are healthy heading into the regular season. And don't worry about losing until if/when your team makes the Playoffs.

RECENTLY WRAPPED UP...

The Houston Texans defeated the San Francisco 49ers 16-13 in their Preseason match. The game was tied at 7 at the half, and I missed about 75% of the first half because I ended up being asleep after kind of a long day out of the house. Deshaun Watson hit pay dirt in his only drive in this game to put the Texans up 7-0 early on. If the Texans can stay healthy unlike last season, we're going to be a solid contender unlike last season. It would be great especially if Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins can be solid on the offensive front, and more so if J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney step their game up on defense.

Up next for the Houston Texans- at the Los Angeles Rams. Sadly, I remember the last time the Texans played the Rams, not only because that was a lopsided loss; but because I had to go to the hospital having a nasty infection, and this game was on at the time.

Congratulations to all other Preseason winners, including the Cincinnati Bengals doing us a little favor downing the Cowboys 21-13. Maybe that will make Dallas fans here in Houston a little "butt hurt"...

Ravens at Colts TONIGHT!

Okay, so maybe it isn't the Regular Season yet. Still, doesn't hurt to get psyched. The NFL Preseason continues. As teams head into their third games of the Preseason, plenty of tough decisions will be made as far as who will make the final rosters as well as if the main starters can get themselves feeling ready for the upcoming season. There's a lot to be desiered as the Preseason continues.

How do you like your team(s) so far this Preseason? Feel free to talk about who all you have been impressed with so far.

The NFL Preseason continues tonight with the third set of games. Tonight, we got the defending champion Philadelphia Eagles getting some Midwestern hospitality as they play at the Cleveland Browns (or "Brons" until they get a regular season win). PHI is 0-2 while CLE is 1-1. More games are on tap for Friday through Sunday. The 3rd and 4th Preseason games usually mean more of the star talent will play for a bit longer. Also, rosters have to be made set, so some players may end up not making the cut to be among the starting players.

You all feel free to talk about how your team(s) is/are doing and who you are impressed with. Enjoy this weekend's games!

Police report: Ex-Bills OL Richie Incognito wanted deceased dad's head cut off

https://usat.ly/2Lm5XmD

This guy has serious issues, and needs to be locked away. He’s been crazy for awhile now, he was a nut job when he was here in St. Louis with the rams, ten years ago. He’s had too many brain injuries, or something.

Borderline insane. You're right, prousonhairy and Omnis.

The Houston Texans failed at the Los Angeles Rams 21-20. The Texans narrowly missed a 57 or 58 yard field goal to win the game, as the kick sailed slightly wide right. There were two interceptions by Houston early on in the game.

Final game for the Houston Texans this Preseason... a Thursday night game hosting the Dallas Cowboys. We battle the Cowboys in the Regular Season on a Sunday Night here in Houston, but nothing would please us Texans fans than to beat those boys from Big D. So we'll see what happens. Also, this game was cancelled last year because of Hurricane Harvey.

Congratulations to all other winners of recent Preseason games. By the way, since you're here, how do you see your Miami Dolphins do in 2018, Omnis? Texans and Dolphins do have a little Thursday Night play date here in Houston this upcoming season...

Show him the money! Who? Aaron Rodgers. He signed a four-year extension to stay as the Green Bay Packers' QB. Elsewhere, Teddy Bridgewater got traded from the New York Jets to the New Orleans Saints. So "Who Dat?" Nation... get to know your new QB.

I know I had planned some musings for the NFC this upcoming season. Basically, I've cancelled those plans. Get ready for the final stretch of Preseason Games.

Giants locked up OBJ and he becomes the highest paid receiver in the league.

That Jets trade is so Jets. They send a QB who arguably was the best pre-season QB so far in the league to the Saints PLUS a 6th round pick for a 3rd rounder. If they waited 3 or 4 weeks for the first starting QB to go out for the season with a torn ACL or knee issue (cough: Bradford) they could have easily gotten a straight up 2nd round pick.

To use Texas A&M speak, the Houston Texans "BTHO" Dallas 14-6 in their final Preseason game of the season. Dallas never found the end zone while the Texans hit the end zone twice. The Texans' 2018 Preseason ends 3-1. HOU and DAL will meet again in October on a Sunday Night in Houston. To me, I really like QB Joe Webb III. Deshaun Watson is still king, but if they need a reliable backup QB, I think Joe Webb III is an excellent backup. The Texans' regular season begins at New England followed by at Tennessee. Yikes! Still- go Texans!

Congratulations to all other Preseason game winners, though Preseason means nothing towards the regular season or postseason.

Back