2018 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 2,549 comments
To me, the MARC Cars without the rear diffuser, don't look bad. I suspect the cars will look closer to the GT4, either same length or shorter, with a massive rear wing.

Might have to homologate something like a Super GT500 version.

Now, do Nissan respond with GT-R or call time, disappear and come back in a few years?

To me, the MARC Cars without the rear diffuser, don't look bad. I suspect the cars will look closer to the GT4, either same length or shorter, with a massive rear wing.

Might have to homologate something like a Super GT500 version.

Now, do Nissan respond with GT-R or call time, disappear and come back in a few years?

Why would they come back if they did call time? They don't seem overly interested in racing, I could see them step back and be a partial helping hand.

Yeah you have which doesn't make sense considering the lineage again to the sport that I've informed you on and others. Second and most importantly I would think someone who loves this series as much as you've professed over the years would be happy to one see a manufacture return and two actually try to bring a car for the long term. Whatever your feelings are on such body styles, the point stands at the end of the day that this will help bolster VASC which has been needed.
Doesn't mean I have to like it. Also doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.
Considering their road car direction, I doubt they will stay.

Why would they come back if they did call time? They don't seem overly interested in racing, I could see them step back and be a partial helping hand.
They came back after 20 years. Today's regulations actually suit their program. Number 1, Nissan admitted they didn't take V8SC seriously, Number 2, they just picked the wrong team to align with.

Whatever Nissan decide to do, the category is pretty open. Their road car program, is probably the deciding factor for racing here.

Their road car program, is probably the deciding factor for racing here.
Which is why they went to Formula E this year. VASC does nothing to help develop their road cars where electrification will be the top priority, so I don't see them sticking around.

Which is why they went to Formula E this year. VASC does nothing to help develop their road cars where electrification will be the top priority, so I don't see them sticking around.
What of Super GT and GT3? Nissan invest in those series. An R35 doesn't have an optional 4T and awd is not in GT regulations. However, it's all about that GT-R.
Racing a GT-R is a reason to race in VASC.

The FE program, shows they are interested in racing.

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/why-mustang-supercar-will-race-with-v8-power/
“We had long discussions about powertrain and first and foremost we needed to be competitive,” Whickman told Supercars.com.

“We chose to go with the V8 as we re-enter. It doesn’t obviously preclude us from doing something in the future, but to be competitive and also to bring the vehicle into racing, that was probably the most competitive and reliable way.

“I’d like for an example to see [if you could] electrify… So, I think the field is pretty open as to where you might go with powertrain but our first toe back in the water is going to be with V8.”

the point stands at the end of the day that this will help bolster VASC which has been needed.

Yeah, no matter if you're a Ford fan or not. Ford returning in official capacity, is a great thing for the series. Hopefully Nissan decide to stick around or someone else comes to play.

Doesn't mean I have to like it. Also doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

No one said that, but equally your opinion can be argued and should be when it seems counter intuitive to other things you've said in years past regarding the series. I find it hard to understand, after all the posts you've made and years spent, that the moment someone wants to debate you you still have some difficulty dealing with it.

Everyone is going to that series, one it's cheap. Two it helps promote electric vehicles through a series that is bringing in fans of different walks who normally don't watch racing. The series it self is quite static at this point, in that there is no massive development being done between the teams and electric motors or their applications. If there was the team would get out of control financially. So other than promotional material and cheap spending to compete, it doesn't server them any purpose or the others who have joined.
They came back after 20 years. Today's regulations actually suit their program. Number 1, Nissan admitted they didn't take V8SC seriously, Number 2, they just picked the wrong team to align with.

Whatever Nissan decide to do, the category is pretty open. Their road car program, is probably the deciding factor for racing here.

They came back after 20 years it the thing. They don't have any massive ties to stay around is my point. I'm not saying they are going to leave, but they could pull back how much they spend on the program and have more fall back to Kelly Racing. Again they do this in various other series right now so why should VASC be the special case? I'd say IMSA suits them the best right now, and they aren't a full blown backer of ESM.

Yeah, no matter if you're a Ford fan or not. Ford returning in official capacity, is a great thing for the series. Hopefully Nissan decide to stick around or someone else comes to play.

Exactly my point, I'm not a massive fan of Ford when it comes to their race side operations. Furthermore, with them acknowledging the hard work being put in by independent teams who are winning under their banner (WRC too), I can't help but have more respect for them. I bashed them quite hard but they came through and I've had to recognize that. No matter what car they go with, them returning is a great thing.

I find it hard to understand, after all the posts you've made and years spent, that the moment someone wants to debate you you still have some difficulty dealing with it.
I just don't have the patience for it, simply put. I stated my opinion and that's it for me.

Wonder who made the "calls"?

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/eight-mustangs-the-target-for-2019/
The manufacturer has given the green light for the model to race in Supercars and will provide financial and technical help, through US arm Ford Performance, for development...

...The plan, however, does not follow the same path as the new Holden Commodore ZB, which requires customers to buy parts from homologation team Triple Eight.

Tooling for the Mustang-specific parts will be made available to any team that wants to run a Ford in the championship.

Like the ZB, teams will be able to convert their current Falcons to the Mustang bodywork if they do not want to build or purchase a complete new chassis.

“I think [teams switching to Ford] will depend on the perceived and ultimate real competitiveness of the package,” Story told Supercars.com.

“There already has been some calls; but it’s one thing to do the work, and it’s another to see what it’s capable of on the racetrack.”

Story says there is a lot to be done to get the Mustang ready for 2019, but downplayed the tightness of the timeframe available.

Preliminary work on fitting the two-door Mustang body to the control Supercars chassis was already completed prior to sign-off on the project.

I don't know why they are still racing here. Their program has not been successful and the Altima faltered in sales. Unless they develop something competitive, I don't know why they would continue spending money on it. When they're gone, they're gone; that's exactly right.

Now I wonder what the Mustang will bring to the table, as it's the first 2 door car to compete in Australian touring car racing since the Group A days. I really want to see what the pluses and minuses are for running a 2 door coupe vs a 4 door hatchback. Having Mustangs back in Australian motorsport with factory backing is great for the series, so even though local manufacturing has died, the series has not. That's if large teams like Penske and Andretti Autosport United keep pumping money into it.

Would be cool if Nissan were to make a car to compete with the Kia Stinger GT, and have it race in the V8s, instead of the Altima. It could be a performance large sedan and they could market by saying it was GTR heritage and what not. At a decent price, a lot of people would be all over it, and it would be a cool car to run in VASC.

I don't know why they are still racing here. Their program has not been successful and the Altima faltered in sales. Unless they develop something competitive, I don't know why they would continue spending money on it. When they're gone, they're gone; that's exactly right.

Now I wonder what the Mustang will bring to the table, as it's the first 2 door car to compete in Australian touring car racing since the Group A days. I really want to see what the pluses and minuses are for running a 2 door coupe vs a 4 door hatchback. Having Mustangs back in Australian motorsport with factory backing is great for the series, so even though local manufacturing has died, the series has not. That's if large teams like Penske and Andretti Autosport United keep pumping money into it.
It's advantage(over the Falcon, at least), should be composite materials. I also think if it'll be shorter than the Falcon(like the S60 and ZB), it'll probably handle better. As we've seen with the cars I mentioned. The E63 was about same size as the Falcon. Altima still handles, but had high down force on debut, which made it's handling fantastic.

Would be cool if Nissan were to make a car to compete with the Kia Stinger GT, and have it race in the V8s, instead of the Altima. It could be a performance large sedan and they could market by saying it was GTR heritage and what not. At a decent price, a lot of people would be all over it, and it would be a cool car to run in VASC.
That car should have been the Q50. I mentioned some time ago, Nissan should have made about 100 Q50s, rebadged as Nismo Skylines. Customers would have eaten that up and Nissan Motorsport could use that to race today.

Well if that bodywork fits over the control bar work of the Supercar, it won't look as bad as I was fearing. I'm still skeptical through.

Now that the 2-door horse has been confirmed, I reckon one in, all in.
With no long-term prospects, the ZB hunchback should make way for the Camaro - as much as I hate the look of the 2019 facelift.

Nissan? If they hang around & insist on racing the same ol Altima again, they won't have a trace of credibility with me.
Just race the god damned GT-R with a turbo motor & stop being a support act full stop.

There's a lot more manufacturers that have 2-doors with sporting intentions, than there are that get excited over a family 4-door.

Well if that bodywork fits over the control bar work of the Supercar, it won't look as bad as I was fearing. I'm still skeptical through.

Now that the 2-door horse has been confirmed, I reckon one in, all in.
With no long-term prospects, the ZB hunchback should make way for the Camaro - as much as I hate the look of the 2019 facelift.

Nissan? If they hang around & insist on racing the same ol Altima again, they won't have a trace of credibility with me.
Just race the god damned GT-R with a turbo motor & stop being a support act full stop.

There's a lot more manufacturers that have 2-doors with sporting intentions, than there are that get excited over a family 4-door.
There's still M3 and the Alfa Guilia. Both raced in Group A. Even though an M4 just won the Bathurst 6H, had that M3 won(two in a row for BMW), would have made a great story.

I agree about GT-R. Nissan introduced Nismo branding here. Makes sense to exploit that with GT-R in VASC.

Well, John Bowe said it(doesn't mean anything). We'll see.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/04/18/ford-legend-endorses-mustang-supercar/
“The job Triple Eight have done on the Commodore is outstanding but I think if they’re going to sell Camaros out here in any sort of volume, it’d be great to see Camaros racing.

“What I think and what car manufacturers think is not quite on the same plane but if I was Nissan, I’d be seriously doing the GT-R; they’ve got the GT-R in GT3, they have a GT3 engine which could be utilised as a Supercar engine, so there’s no reason you couldn’t race a GT-R as well.”

Q50 is as close as you'll get. But that's also what the Maxima should be.

Yeah a little gutted with Tickford...My main man Richie gets a drive, I thought to myself yeah he'll be straight into a good car too, but they appear to have turned to 🤬 a little bit :(.
Really hope they can figure out whats going on, Richie has got what it takes to be rookie of the year....That being said all the rookies are doing a pretty good job this year, especially impressed with Anton De Pasquale.

While it is cool to see Matt Stone Racing in the main game, I do feel they are holding back Hazelwood’s potential. Not really through any fault of their own, but just due to not having the funds of the more major teams. If Hazelwood was in one of the more experienced teams than I’d imagine he’d be up there more so.

While it is cool to see Matt Stone Racing in the main game, I do feel they are holding back Hazelwood’s potential. Not really through any fault of their own, but just due to not having the funds of the more major teams. If Hazelwood was in one of the more experienced teams than I’d imagine he’d be up there more so.
It did take Betty a little bit to get settled. Even with (a little bit of)AMG backing, all her money and Ross stone and his cars. Jonathan Webb started the same way. Good thing is, MSR are starting with a winning car. I'd give 'em a bit more time.

Back