2018 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 2,549 comments
I can't get behind the whole "I can see the speed change". Especially when Dutton says simple that JW got up to the 40 and then as passing the merge cone he turned it off, quickly realized his mistake and turned it back on. He said speed isn't a factor in the ruling, simply that breaking the rules is a factor. I don't like that a small region was violated, so small it could be considered insignificant. I'm fine with the calling them out on the break, but not the outcome, which means no discretion and rather simply same black and white rulings none the less.

I guess if they did use discretion though in that sense we'd have more to complain about, as to why they'd give 15 seconds to one driver and 30 to another for similar incidents. However, as said that's not very different from the current of giving a driver a penalty but not the other. I too also questioned that, which makes me cringe at the possibilities of past results being not what they should of been.
Watch this footage and then try and tell me he didn't accelerate.;)
http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/whincup-stripped-of-second-by-post-race-penalty/

I'm dying to know by exactly how much they'll have to raise the Mustang roof over standard showroom spec in order to clear the Supercar bar work?
Same. The Mustang doesn't have that helpful kink like the GT-R.

Another thing, I'm just realizing the grid would look like NASCAR.

It's almost as though they ripped the body straight from GT Sport...
bTikAhK.jpg

The fact of the matter @LMSCorvetteGT2 is that both JW and DC got harsh penalties yesterday, neither of which have been complained about, they've moved on and so have I. It doesn't matter that you deem one part of pit lane less important, the rules don't.

FYI. They've just shown JW's telemetry, and while I know speed isn't the determing factor, he hit 48kph in the 40kph zone.

Already saw the footage several times, after arguing about it on discord. Throttle position coming off the limiter could explain the jolt in revs, point is that wasn't why he was punished for one. And until telemetry says he was speeding I can't call him on it nor would based on simply my eyes. That's not a good analysis tool.

The fact of the matter @LMSCorvetteGT2 is that both JW and DC got harsh penalties yesterday, neither of which have been complained about, they've moved on and so have I. It doesn't matter that you deem one part of pit lane less important, the rules don't.

FYI. They've just shown JW's telemetry, and while I know speed isn't the determing factor, he hit 48kph in the 40kph zone.

Just because they didn't complain doesn't mean other people can't complain, this is a forum and if people want to discuss and hash out thing they shall and will so long as it is with in the correct rules of said discussion board. So why you keep bringing up that because the teams didn't have issue with it no one else should is strange way of trying to shut down an argument. We both agree that the penalties were harsh, we differ on if there should be a change in rules that allow discretion in rulings. Also I don't deem it less important, what I said was that to argue safety is moot, when there is no crew or safety issue, rather it's just "that's the rules" and that's why he was penalized. Which is fine, but the idea of the rule in the first place wasn't at risk.

Also as for the speeding, thank you for letting me know about the telemetry I also found it after you mentioned it.

Just because they didn't complain doesn't mean other people can't complain, this is a forum and if people want to discuss and hash out thing they shall and will so long as it is with in the correct rules of said discussion board. So why you keep bringing up that because the teams didn't have issue with it no one else should is strange way of trying to shut down an argument. We both agree that the penalties were harsh, we differ on if there should be a change in rules that allow discretion in rulings. Also I don't deem it less important, what I said was that to argue safety is moot, when there is no crew or safety issue, rather it's just "that's the rules" and that's why he was penalized. Which is fine, but the idea of the rule in the first place wasn't at risk.

Also as for the speeding, thank you for letting me know about the telemetry I also found it after you mentioned it.
I wasn't trying to shut anything down. They know the rule they broke and therefore didn't complain, simple.

Discretion in the rulings???? So different parts of the working part of pit lane should have different interpretations of the penalties handed out??? Yeah that's going to work really well isn't it :lol:. Much simpler to just have the one rule from the first cone to the last cone regarding the limiter don't you think?

And this is why I said ''the rules are the rules''💡

Awesome qualy.

Good to see Caruso up there with Rick. de Pasquale continues to impress this weekend.

WAU seems to have a found some decent speed with JC's car, hopefully it translates over to the race.

I wasn't trying to shut anything down. They know the rule they broke and therefore didn't complain, simple.

Discretion in the rulings???? So different parts of the working part of pit lane should have different interpretations of the penalties handed out??? Yeah that's going to work really well isn't it :lol:. Much simpler to just have the one rule from the first cone to the last cone regarding the limiter don't you think?

And this is why I said ''the rules are the rules''💡

No I'm not I see it as an anal ruling like the blend line ruling of last year. All I'm saying is it is hard to jeopardize safety at the end of the pit road. I agree he broke the law and should have punishment, but when you accidentally do it and try to rectify a brain lapse is quite different then a driver that just never tried.

Rules are rules, but from time to time should be questioned.

19 78 Team Harvey Norman Simona De Silvestro Nissan Altima 1:31.047
20 7 Plus Fitness Racing Andre Heimgartner Nissan Altima 1:31.063
That's cool.

Also the #99 starting from 8th. Looking more and more like Rookie of the Year for DePasquale.

No I'm not I see it as an anal ruling like the blend line ruling of last year. All I'm saying is it is hard to jeopardize safety at the end of the pit road. I agree he broke the law and should have punishment, but when you accidentally do it and try to rectify a brain lapse is quite different then a driver that just never tried.

Rules are rules, but from time to time should be questioned.
Yes it's far less likely to jeopardize safety at the end of pit road, but this is why I said it has to start and finish somewhere, and that somewhere can't be just past the end of the team champions pit box (which is where JW accelerated from).

Also, it should be an one-size-fits-all penalty, as should many other rules. Problems arise in these cases when differing penalties are handed out, or no penalty at all (JW last year at PI), and to try and distinguish between accidental and non-accidental would be a nightmare, one that could have championship deciding consequences. When there is no grey area it's far easier to make the right call, they have a hard enough time getting things right as it is.

I also have no problem with questioning rules, just not in this case, or DC's either for that matter.

Yes it's far less likely to jeopardize safety at the end of pit road, but this is why I said it has to start and finish somewhere, and that somewhere can't be just past the end of the team champions pit box (which is where JW accelerated from).

Also, it should be an one-size-fits-all penalty, as should many other rules. Problems arise in these cases when differing penalties are handed out, or no penalty at all (JW last year at PI), and to try and distinguish between accidental and non-accidental would be a nightmare, one that could have championship deciding consequences. When there is no grey area it's far easier to make the right call, they have a hard enough time getting things right as it is.

I also have no problem with questioning rules, just not in this case, or DC's either for that matter.

Well that's what I did said already with the issue of being consistent over time and having that run afoul with drivers, teams and fans alike. Guessing you missed that. I wouldn't say the right call is made when there is no grey area obviously if that was such we wouldn't have issues with the current use of the rule book from time to time.

Last part is more or less where our disagreement comes from, I take issue with the very static organization of the rules and more so the even more questionable implementation of such, which is why I'll continue to question them. Clearly it's a agree to disagree impasse in the end.

Great results for Nissan this weekend.

I know it was a spilt second decision but not sure why Erebus didn't pit de Pasquale, when Coulthard and others pitted, just prior to the safety car being called. Totally ruined Anton's race having to double stack behind Reynolds.

Oof! Winter=rain+cold mix in 300km with 2 passing spots. Hope it's a success. We'll see.

Todd is full of it. He mentioned some time ago, he didn't want to run a different engine, because "they(Kelly Racing)" spent too much money on the VK56. However, 2 years ago:,
The new head of Nissan's Nismo performance division says the brand should set aside the Altima sedan and race in V8 Supercars with the GT-R performance icon.

Takao Katagiri took charge of Nismo in April ahead of a planned expansion with new models and markets that will include a strong Australian presence.

Speaking exclusively with Drive at the Nurburgring 24 Hour race, where Nissan entered three GT-R machines, Katagiri says Nissan Australia should consider campaigning the GT-R coupe in races such as the Bathurst 1000.

Edit: One more thing. Supercars is actually trying to help. Similar to Super GT500 making sure the Big Three stay in competition.

Last edited:

Hey, everyone has to eat, but some of these renders look second rate.

One thing I'm picking up from these Mustang renders is, with such a small rear side window, they'll have no room for the driver's surname.

With all the panel space being sold to sponsors, where will they put it?
Only place I can think of is at the bottom of the door glass.
They run the cars with the windows up anyway.

One thing I'm picking up from these Mustang renders is, with such a small rear side window, they'll have no room for the driver's surname.

True; Some series put the names on the top of the doors. Can't even see them until, you're right up close.
I dislike how no one runs numbers on the doors(because of certain sponsor agreements). The Walkinshaw HRT cars, had tiny numbers and GRM are sometiimey when they use them. VASC should mandate them. Helps spectators, especially when liveries keep changing.

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about with using the short layout. Hopefully there is some rain to make things interesting, othwerwise it could just turn out to be a follow the leader type race.

Tander was complaining about not being able to see the main puddles and wet areas at Albert Park during the ‘night’ race, so I can imagine if it was to rain at SMP, even with the lights, it would be much worse. The lights would also make the spray almost unbearable. F1 were always worried about it raining at Singapore due to visibility, and although that year it rained, they were lucky that it wasn’t too bad once the race actually started.

True; Some series put the names on the top of the doors. Can't even see them until, you're right up close.
I dislike how no one runs numbers on the doors(because of certain sponsor agreements). The Walkinshaw HRT cars, had tiny numbers and GRM are sometiimey when they use them. VASC should mandate them. Helps spectators, especially when liveries keep changing.

I wouldn’t be a fan of NASCAR style numbers personally, although GRM in 2014 did look good. HRT had it perfect in 2016 when they had the green numbers imo. They weren’t to big and didn’t obstruct the Lion, and they weren’t too small that you couldn’t see them. The size most cars had before the change to the windows was fine.

Tander was complaining about not being able to see the main puddles and wet areas at Albert Park during the ‘night’ race, so I can imagine if it was to rain at SMP, even with the lights, it would be much worse. The lights would also make the spray almost unbearable. F1 were always worried about it raining at Singapore due to visibility, and although that year it rained, they were lucky that it wasn’t too bad once the race actually started.

I wouldn’t be a fan of NASCAR style numbers personally, although GRM in 2014 did look good. HRT had it perfect in 2016 when they had the green numbers imo. They weren’t to big and didn’t obstruct the Lion, and they weren’t too small that you couldn’t see them. The size most cars had before the change to the windows was fine.
The numbers certainly don't have to be NASCAR size so I'm with you on that.

Whatever that size was when they were on the doors, 500mm x 600mm ?, was perfect.

Yeah, try writing Winterbottom in that little space. :lol:

Tander was complaining about not being able to see the main puddles and wet areas at Albert Park during the ‘night’ race, so I can imagine if it was to rain at SMP, even with the lights, it would be much worse.

Yeah, very fair point.

Shame they couldn't run the event at Hidden Valley.
Yeah, try writing Winterbottom in that little space. :lol:

Be even worse with two surnames to deal with during the endurance races. Bring back the door numbers!

Back