2018 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 2,549 comments
Commiserations to David Reynolds, Luke Youlden & the Erebus crew. Having shown so much speed prior to race day & having to walk away with so little, proves this weekend at Bathurst can be cruel. I can see a new rule being brought in to guard against drivers suffering excess fatigue levels. I'm not sure how that'll be done but, maybe a limit on continuous laps/time behind the wheel?

Having said that, I'm so incredibly happy for Craig Lowndes, Steven Richards & the Lowndes Autobarn Racing Team.
The pessimistic me was half expecting the power steering issues to return & spoil my fairytale Bathurst. They didn't win the race on outright pace or sheer luck, experience & hanging in there all day put them in the right place to take advantage when others had problems.
Well done CL on victory number 7 :) 👍

They would be near unbeatable.
Not that there’s anything wrong with Dumbrell, I heard today he had the 2nd quickest lap at Sandown, out of the co drivers and full time drivers.

Commiserations to David Reynolds, Luke Youlden & the Erebus crew. Having shown so much speed prior to race day & having to walk away with so little, proves this weekend at Bathurst can be cruel. I can see a new rule being brought in to guard against drivers suffering excess fatigue levels. I'm not sure how that'll be done but, maybe a limit on continuous laps/time behind the wheel?

Having said that, I'm so incredibly happy for Craig Lowndes, Steven Richards & the Lowndes Autobarn Racing Team.
The pessimistic me was half expecting the power steering issues to return & spoil my fairytale Bathurst. They didn't win the race on outright pace or sheer luck, experience & hanging in there all day put them in the right place to take advantage when others had problems.

I think in the last 40 laps Craig had the sheer pace, and was easily going blow for blow with Reynolds. It would have gone either way had Reynolds been alright. But I think Craig was on point to win once he kept churning the lap speeds he was on Davey's bumper.

Did Lowndes just confirm he's co-driving with Whincup next year?

In the podium interview he said he'd be back with either of the two he didn't say one over the other. If I had to bet, I'd say it is JW he drives with considering they've done so before.

That's usually the Tim Slade "I'ma faint" rule.

Well, Bamber did good. Jacobson and Rullo got the thumbs up from me.
Glad the 17 finished ahead of the 97. Gold Coast will be fun.

I knew my name stood for something... Lowndes is an absolute legend of the game. To win Bathurst in your last full-time drive is pretty special, no doubt. But also as a die hard Walkinshaw fan, I'm extremely happy. Great drive from Luff and Pye to finish second again, from 18th on the grid. Overall, a great day for all my favourites, including Scott McLaughlin. Couldn't have predicted a better podium to be honest.

If anything I'd much prefer to see Bathurst as the final race of the enduro cup, not Sandown. Perth should work well as the night race though.
Still the one thing I hate about this series is how spaced out the schedule is. Not a fan of 3-4 week breaks.

By the sounds of things it's going to be worse in 2020. A winter break. Seriously?

Gold Coast is warmer. Put that first. Then, Sandown. Yeah, Bathurst should be before Newcastle... Makes too much sense to drive a couple hours East from Bathurst.

Last edited:
Bad for us kiwis are Barbagallo night race will be on at like midnight and most races winter to early spring are very wet so I wouldn’t be surprised for a wet one at Pukekohe

Jeez, didn't think about the time zone difference. Even for those of us in the Eastern states. It's going to be a fairly late start. :crazy: Not sure that Supercars have thought this through terribly well.
Of course they haven't thought it through. The idiots are in charge of the asylum on this one. I'm seriously unimpressed. :irked:

That's gotta mean something doesn't it :bowdown:

Know Andretti currently run Honda powerplants in their Indycar program but having that famous surname involved with the project has to mean something as well, doesn't it? Hopefully this goes ahead.

Seems though that WAU's biggest obstacle is getting the Camaro to fit the COTF chassis.

Know Andretti currently run Honda powerplants in their Indycar program but having that famous surname involved with the project has to mean something as well, doesn't it? Hopefully this goes ahead.

Seems though that WAU's biggest obstacle is getting the Camaro to fit the COTF chassis.
As far as I know, everything has to go through a cut’n’shut to fit the COTF chassis.

My only concern about the Camaro gaining approval from GM is, the bean-counters linking it to prospective car sales.

They may give it the OK provided WAU cover the costs of development.
On those terms it starts to look shaky IMO.

As far as I know, everything has to go through a cut’n’shut to fit the COTF chassis.

My only concern about the Camaro gaining approval from GM is, the bean-counters linking it to prospective car sales.

They may give it the OK provided WAU cover the costs of development.
On those terms it starts to look shaky IMO.
Definitely this.

They've got the blessing to import and convert Camaro(next to Colorado and Siverado). I'm sure WAU want a similar deal, to what DJRTP and Tickford have.

I don't think it would matter, what they run in another series. Ford fully support Roger and Co. in both Supercars and NASCAR and yet Roger uses competitors with factory backing in both Indycar and IMSA that conflict. For example Roger is a Ford runner in NASCAR but runs Chevy in Indycar and you'd think in an ideal world this would irritate Honda who back him with their DPi through Acura North America in IMSA.

If Penske has this ability I don't see why it can't work for Andretti.

Sounds like there might be truth to Frosty moving to Preston Hire after all. It's rumoured that Tickford have handed one of their RECs back to Supercars.
Hopefully Preston Hire will be running the 4th Tickford Mustang if he does.

It's really not shaping up well for Supercars future atm with another rumored REC handback, and with the ZB's production being halted due to poor sales there's a fair chance it will have some impact on the Holden teams sponsorship dollars.

Last edited:
t's really not shaping up well for Supercars future atm with another rumored REC handback,

Especially when it's two of the biggest teams on the grid handing back RECs. Not a good look.
Holden sold less than 4,000 cars in July this year.

Reading online yesterday that Commodore sales are down almost 60% compared to a year ago? Sounds like it's going to take them a long while to sell that backlog of ZB's. (If they ever do)

Back