2019 F1 Constructor Thread Personnel/DevFormula 1 

From that angle, the first initial thought that crossed my mind was – "They've saved themselves some money, grabbed last year's Ferrari and painted it black."

Ferrari-SF71H-Bburago-18-16806V-8.jpg

Yeah it looks like they did a repeat of last year, but many question if the engine this year needs less cooling since they don't have the extra cut out on top of the side pods for airflow. Also their rear wind end-plate design is very intricate. Their front wing end-plate design is aggressive itself and probably on the biggest extreme the rules allow. But everything else looks like a pretty good copy of last years Ferrari.

So McLaren have finally got a big sponsor on board.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/british-american-tobacco-mclaren-deal/4335598/

Tobacco? Really?

Don't see an issue with it, especially considering there are other products that are as bad especially short term wise. Not to mention the circus goes to various nations with less then optimal human rights ideals and issues. If anything this just further encompasses how massive F1 and Capitalism go hand in hand. How good or bad that is, is up to the individual viewers, but shouldn't be restricted.
They note that Phillip Morris is being investigated over their "Project Window" (surely Winnow?) branding, I guess the money will find a way back in. I like the way BAT's branding will be "focused solely on BAT's potentially reduced risk products". That's almost Ronspeak :D

Yeah Australia is already investigating the car (not sure how since it hasn't been released) and the driver suits. I guess they're basing this on last years car, but if this is some subliminal advertising, I'm not seeing it, it's no where near as obvious as the late 00s Ferraris.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...o-on-ferrari-f1-uniforms-20190207-p50wa2.html

4685106F-CEFA-43B1-B7FF-934FCEE8DEE2.jpeg

The nose looks to be a cross between the second half of last year, with a bit of Red Bull about it. The barge boards look crazy.

I like the idea of the livery, but the amount of bare carbon fibre to hide the body spoils it. It’s a shame they don’t embrace the halo either.

Edit: Almost no shark fin either, apart from the number.

52347551_2207138742686491_8300446589294477312_o-jpg.799526

2387be68d0113dd6a3418877dc474cf0.jpg

Sauber in camo, they have the old rbr s-duct, with McLaren and Force India mixed nose and a very interesting wing. Looks like they're still going with radical designs like they had last year.

I see McLaren is the latest student to be enrolled into the 'Dark Art of Livery Design' course, which teaches the practise of hiding the parts of the car you don't want your rivals to see by leaving them unpainted. :sly:

d2b0c664f9c6e08617bdb8da119c280c-4

Last edited:
They note that Phillip Morris is being investigated over their "Project Window" (surely Winnow?) branding, I guess the money will find a way back in. I like the way BAT's branding will be "focused solely on BAT's potentially reduced risk products". That's almost Ronspeak :D

The entry list has been updated, Ferrari are now entered as "Scuderia Ferrari" with no mention of Mission Winnow.

The driver photos on Formula1.com also appear to have had the logos edited out.

EDIT: It's still just visible on LeClerc, it's the way his arms are folded. I'm sure it's gone from Vettel's pic though :)

leclerc.jpg
vettel.jpg

I'd imagine the connection with PMI is just too strong to be ignored, even if 'Mission Winnow' has no tobacco reference in it.

Chances are we'll see the same thing happen with Ducati in MotoGP.

Yeah, I don't find the tobacco sponsorship banning that logical, but whatever makes people "feel" better I s'pose.

Yeah, I don't find the tobacco sponsorship banning that logical, but whatever makes people "feel" better I s'pose.

It's the only way that children can be exposed to "tobacco logos", they don't appear anywhere else.

* although I don't quite see Mission Winnow as "tobacco" despite having smoked for many years

In more pressing matters, Williams are in more trouble. This time their front suspension is not legal and thus need to be changed by Australia and considering FP1 is in 10 days that's not much time...

They also had to change their mirrors, they had an interesting set up for that as well. The set up was concave with 3 distinct pieces, it has since been changed to a more standard looking mirror. Here is what it looked like prior.

zpiv8NR.jpg

78b5crak6qh21.jpg

Modified new version
williams-fw42-mirror-detail-1.jpg

Suspension can be seen in the top two images here is what the issue is more clearly in the following image.
williams-fw42-suspension-detai-1.jpg

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/c...-e-non-solo-la-sospensione-anteriore/4347052/

In more pressing matters, Williams are in more trouble. This time their front suspension is not legal and thus need to be changed by Australia and considering FP1 is in 10 days that's not much time...

They also had to change their mirrors, they had an interesting set up for that as well. The set up was concave with 3 distinct pieces, it has since been changed to a more standard looking mirror. Here is what it looked like prior.

The mirror's a relatively easy fix, I presume for the suspension they'll just have to reshape that part. There's no way they'll be able to redesign a more conventional geometry and make the parts in time for Australia, surely?

In other news Paddy Lowe is soon to be available for gardening jobs.

The mirror's a relatively easy fix, I presume for the suspension they'll just have to reshape that part. There's no way they'll be able to redesign a more conventional geometry and make the parts in time for Australia, surely?

Back in the day the front suspension of most British F1 cars started with a Triumph Herald upright, a few Heim joints, brazed steel tubes and geometry copied from an old Lotus. The work of an afternoon.

I show the fix in my original post for the mirrors it's the third image, the issue is that they ran all of testing with that design thinking there was no issue. Then they get hit with an even bigger negative from the FIA, it's not only another hit to the morale of the team but sets them back. Especially from what they should be focused on, which is having a decent run in Australia.

Sad to hear. Someone on Autosport had pointed it out during a testing video. I forgot who it was, but he didn't come out and say "that's illegal", but rather a kind of "I don't think that's going to be legal, but we'll see". Definitely not the way to start off the season (though one could say that about starting the season wearing a Williams outfit...)

I never understood how a designer like paddy Lowe can go from designing championship winning cars from one year to pieces of trash the next... I understand that it’s tougher for the smaller teams to keep up with R&D, but I always assumed the upfront cost on the first iteration of the car wasn’t much lower than that of the bigger teams

I never understood how a designer like paddy Lowe can go from designing championship winning cars from one year to pieces of trash the next...

One of the reasons is that you need a good R&D team to test every single part of the car to perfection. You can have a crap design that's tuned well or a great design with crap implementation. Either way you're off the pace.

One of the reasons is that you need a good R&D team to test every single part of the car to perfection. You can have a crap design that's tuned well or a great design with crap implementation. Either way you're off the pace.
It's not too implausible to think that there was a fair amount of hurried resume updating going on at Williams near the end of last season as well, and that the more capable of their technical staff have landed elsewhere.

Also, let's be honest, motorsport is just that, a sport. In almost every single sport you're only ever as good as your last win - particularly if you're not an on-the-field superstar. Even someone like Paddy Lowe can create a dud or put himself in a position where the team doesn't function the way he's used to, or he's under pressures he hasn't experienced before.

He doesn't have the luxury of resting on his laurels. We all know that having a different boss or support structure can infinitely change the way one gets along at work, etc.

Back