2019 F1 Constructor Thread Personnel/DevFormula 1 

I mean you've been saying it for quite some time, so on a long enough time line...

Ha, yes :)

Since Ghosn's corporate demise I thought the future could be bleak, the poor performance of the team over the last season-or-so coupled with the loss of F1 customers... I fear the worst at this point. Nitsurenaultbishi have some cost-cutting to do and so the F1 project has to be seen to have a positive return, even if that's not entirely financial. I don't know if it could be argued that it does at the moment.

The FIA is live-streaming their press conference regarding the 2021 Regs on Youtube right now. EDIT: Live stream has concluded, replay now available on Formula 1's YouTube page.

Highlights so far:

• $175M budget cap per team on performance-related spending; driver salaries, marketing, and payment of the Top-3 team personnel for each constructor not effected. Heritage bonuses are also exempt, so Ferrari will still be making bank each year (actually, looks like they'll be making more of a profit due to the enforced spending). Edit: Ross Brawn has made it very clear that if a team breaks the cost regs "you will lose your championship."
  • Significant reduction in aero in order to reduce dirty air. The objective is to reduce the downforce reduction and instability during slipstreaming and to allow closer, tighter racing.
  • Standardized components introduced to reduce costs, fuel system parts in particular. Apparently Turbochargers in particular will come from the same supplier...?
  • 18 inch rims, calling for bigger brakes and rotors. Standardized brakes & rotors will be introduced in 2023. Brake pad changes per year will be restricted.
  • Power unit remains unchanged, 1.6L Turbo-Hybrid V6 stays. The materials used to build them, however, will be changed to use cheaper materials. Exhaust systems will also have a finite number of allowed replacements (6) before incurring penalties. Curious to see how that effect overall vehicle performance and reliability.
  • Car weight will increase, by how much hasn't been said. Combined with the reduction of aero, looks like the cars will be slowing down quite a bit.
  • Teams will still be able to use their own gearboxes, however the final gearbox design for each team will be frozen for the next 5 years.
  • Heavily simplified suspension systems, including the banning of Hydraulic suspension. Tyre blankets will stay until 2022, albeit there will be fewer allowed per team and they will operate at lower temperatures, in order to reduce cost.
  • There will be components where the design will be made and owned by the FIA, however the teams can use the FIA design and modify them to their needs. The FIA will then decide if the component is still legal.
  • Max number of races per year is capped at 25, however the race weekend will be shortened from 4 to 3 days. The pre-weekend press conferences will take place Friday a few hours before first practice.
  • Development of new parts during race weekends will be restricted. Teams can develop and test new parts during practice sessions, but the parts will not be able to be used during the actual race. I'm presuming that parts development will also influence the yearly budget cap for each team.
  • Proper wind-tunnel testing will be heavily restricted per week, in order to get teams to utilize CFD (Fluid Dynamics) simulations more often.
Still a lot of information making rounds, and certain aspects aren't 100% set in stone, but this seems to be the general gist of things.

Last edited:
Yeah... I feel like there should be a wheelbase length restriction, since the cars have just continued to get bigger. I think if we could go back to 2010 lengths but the same 2m track, we’d reach peak F1 proportions and probably drop 100kg

Yeah... I feel like there should be a wheelbase length restriction, since the cars have just continued to get bigger. I think if we could go back to 2010 lengths but the same 2m track, we’d reach peak F1 proportions and probably drop 100kg
But where would they fit all the energy recovery and deployment bits? ;)

EIOipgLXYAAF-ke

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/new-era-2021-f1/

Might as well enjoy the renders..the real deal cars will probably be as hideous as the current ones (i.e. every available envelope/space filled with thousands of carbon fiber winglets, etc.).

Regarding the changes, I see very little to be excited about. The insulting "heritage" payment scheme still means that the richer/legacy teams will continue to partake in the sport for far less cost than the lower teams. The "aero fix for better racing" is something we've seen trotted out for 10-15 years without it ever really happening. Some fixed components is smart, but the savings will be minimal...as the smart teams are already doing this. Heavier and slower is 100% fine, as that has little to no impact on the quality of racing.

The cap of 25 race is hilarious, as if they're doing the teams a favour...how many more did they imagine they'd fit in the schedule if they didn't cap it? :D Pointless bulletin point is pointless.

I won't be impressed until F1 manages to take back its own sport from the teams.

The "aero fix for better racing" is something we've seen trotted out for 10-15 years without it ever really happening.
Have you not read that they will be going back to allowing ground effects aero?

That's a big piece of the change in Indycar, which has made for much closer racing.

I think the key here is they kept talking the talk while allowing a lot of development on front wings in particular, which caused a lot of dirty air effect.

When they cap the calendar to well above the amount of races they already have you know it's meant as a suggestion of how many they want rather then a cap.

The Heritage payments are my biggest concern though, 18 inch Wheels is a good thing though, hopefully we see designs come through that can be sold to road going cars.

One thing that could be renegotiated with the heritage payments is that the prize money can be more evenly distributed down the chain, as Ferrari, Merc, McLaren, et al can't spend the money they are given in prizes.

How about the money award for winning is subtracted from your Heritage payment. Thus if you're Ferrari and you win the series...you get nothing. If you're a newer, non-heritage team you'd still earn money. The Heritage money and the overwhelming power/control that the teams have...over the sport they're supposedly "participating in" is easily the biggest scam/joke in the sport at the moment.

The bigger rims look much better concave in the McLaren render than in the official renders 👍 Apart from that the only thing I find weird is the top mounting of the rear wing - looks a bit out of place with the newer design. Also where will DRS be mounted?

Apart from that the only thing I find weird is the top mounting of the rear wing - looks a bit out of place with the newer design.
The “swan neck” mountings are just an example of the various designs teams can develop. During the presentation, a few other designs were shown off, with a couple of more traditional mountings. Those examples had the DRS actuator in the same position teams currently have them in.

After all the suggestions that Ferrari are doing something illegal with their engine the FIA have issued a technical directive. The suggestion seems to have been that Ferrari were delivering extra fuel in between flow measurement intervals, possibly masking it by using electrical noise. I should point out that Ferrari deny any illegality with their engine.

So Roger and Merc are in talks about him buying the team. Seems to be serious one at that, guess the big moves for him continue.

So Roger? What is that, a company, and which team?

EDIT: Hang on, is this the AMG Mercedes team? Is that the business that's keeping Toto away from Brazil this weekend?

Penske did say that he wants to bring an F1 race to Indy. I guess buying into the top team in the series as well as being the new owner of the track would certainly give him a lot of clout to make that happen.

Back