2019 Formula One World ChampionshipFormula 1 

• Thread starter mustafur
  • 197 comments
When you thought Williams could not sink lower

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143522/w-series-leader-chadwick-gets-williams-f1-role

Figures according to Bloomberg;

PkTkpN1.jpg

While many bemoan the current state of the sport, it's important to put it into perspective. Pay-TV is destroying access to the sport.

Even without Pay TV I have hard to believe anyone could seriously be interested in watching the races and It´s not only the Mercedes domination that is the reason.

It's not been a great omen for the rest of the year, sure, but let's be honest...it's not 2004.

(Anyone who remembers 1992 wanna pitch in at this point as well?)

I've lost interest in the past few years of F1; or at least, distanced myself from the sport's recent declining excitement–to–over-saturation ratio.

It is shaping up like '04, but at least Bottas is allowed to seriously compete against Hamilton. Mercedes can even afford a race or two where they come to contretemps, and even then, only a few stat fanatics would notice by season's end. And like 2004, we have a competitive field that's tighter than ever before, yet somehow too rigid to show flexibility in results.

Yeah, 1992 was snoozy, but it was the first time in five years Senna wasn't at sharp end of the grid. Mansell finally got a measure of justice, though at the expense of not wanting to be Prost's teammate the following year. At least you had some mixing up towards the rear of the grid between the DNQs while the mid-pack shuffled constantly.

I feel like F1 is a sport chasing the hopes and dreams of a younger generation and it's succeeding a bit. If I was 13-to-25 again, I'd probably be jolly ecstatic that my obscure sport offered so much access these days. But after 33 years of it, I just care a whole lot less about the manufactured drama and "memeification" as the same silver cars win, utter petulance, lacking driving standards, in quiet, gruesome vehicles which run around for the same raft of sponsors on mostly TrackCorp Circuits. I'm not impressed with how many times these millionaires can bark out obscenities or stir each other over minor things, re-filtered with all the elegance of pro-wrestling. Should I expect anything else from 21-year-olds who've lacked life experience before encasing themselves in electronics and carbon fiber?

Last edited:
I've lost interest in the past few years of F1; or at least, distanced myself from the sport's recent declining excitement–to–over-saturation ratio.

Last year was a really good season, we had Ferrari coming out fighting and Merc struggling to get on-top of their car. What we saw for the first half of the season was Vettel vs Hamilton. The season looked to be Ferrari's/Vettel's and then the German GP happened, Lewis won from 14th on the grid and Vettel, from pole DNF'd. Lewis would go on to pull out an insane quali lap at Singapore and cement his now dominant position over Vettel.

Just out of perverse curiosity, I'd love to see Mercedes completely whitewash the season (1-2 all races or at least win all). Just to see it written in the record books, and see what sort of knee jerk rule changes the FIA does for the following season. BOP and/or success ballast anyone? :lol:

Just out of perverse curiosity, I'd love to see Mercedes completely whitewash the season (1-2 all races or at least win all). Just to see it written in the record books, and see what sort of knee jerk rule changes the FIA does for the following season. BOP and/or success ballast anyone? :lol:

I’m almost rooting for them just for the spectacle of achieving a perfect season. This is a rare opportunity to make it happen.

Generally speaking I’m a fan of king-topplers, underdogs, sometimes favored teams/drivers/brands, and in rare cases (but applicable in F1) national representation, and there isn’t a huge amount for me to latch on to in the top end of things. I still find the midfield fun to follow though.

So standardised gearboxes won't be introduced for 2021.

Weren't they on about introducing gearboxes with 6 gears to replace the 8 gear ones a couple years ago? What happened to that idea?

Pay TV is great for short term profit when they offer more money than free to air rivals. Just not for when you want to put it up for renegotiation and you find the viewership has invariably dropped.

For god sake Lewis, stop being such a whiny b:censored:
With Lewis getting all spiritual about Niki being with him during the race, I can't help but wonder how many times Niki would've actually smacked him over the head with all the whining he was doing.

Besides that, we finally got ourselves a "Lewis, it's James..." moment this season.

Back