2019 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 1,414 comments
Some of you need to grow up. Just because you paid to attend or watch on tv, you must accept that driver and spectators safety is paramount, regardless of your thoughts, you weren’t racing or responsible for red flags. Race organisers would be blamed for injuries or fatalities....Thats motosports, its too dangerous to gamble with these things. Deal with it or choose another sport to follow!

The track was basically flooded and the rain was relentless despite efforts to dry the circuit. Cars were aquaplaning all over the place.

When conditions in sportscar or single seater racing become too dangerous for even the most extreme wet tire compounds as well as the most talented and experienced drivers, then its only right to call a red flag.

Its not an ideal end to the race, but extreme weather like that means taking the necessary precautions to avoid drivers or track marshals getting killed or seriously injured.

That weather would have stopped every racing series short of offshore powerboats and the America's Cup.
Naw man, even Off-shore Powerboats wouldn’t race in that weather due to poor visibility.

....Volvo Ocean Race or Vendee Globe on the other hand :lol:

—-

In regards to drivers being spoiled brats because they voice their opinion on track conditions...have you not heard of Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda, or Ayrton Senna, to name just a few “spoiled brats” who have voiced their concern about driver safety over the years.

As far as “no one being in danger”, that’s complete BS. You’re driving a car at over 200km/h with near zero visibility, that is dangerous, period. The idea that these modern cars are so safe that no one gets hurt, anyone who says this clearly just started watching racing last week, as Pietro Fittipaldi broke both of his femurs in a Ford GT GTE car at Spa last year. Any driver at Daytona could have had an incedent like the one Tony Vilander had, and if speeds had been higher, someone could have got seriously messed up.

This arguement is so rediculous. It’s an outdoor sporting event. There is a limit to how much weather is reasonable to tolerate. If there was a hurricane, should the race go on? If a tornado touches down during the Indy 500, should the race go on? Earthquake during the Suzuka 10 hours...the race must go on. Give it a rest :lol:

Last edited:
Pietro Fittipaldi was with the Dragonspeed LMP1 team when he crashed at Spa last year.
Oops my bad...who crashed at Spa in a Ford GT that was pretty massive then?

Either way, he broke his legs in an LMP car, which is basically what all the DPi cars are. Point is, the drivers are not invincible even in these modern racecars.

Oops my bad...who crashed at Spa in a Ford GT that was pretty massive then?

Either way, he broke his legs in an LMP car, which is basically what all the DPi cars are. Point is, the drivers are invincible even in these modern racecars.
Harry Tincknell.

You are not a true racing fan if you could care less for driver safety. I’ll say it again, you have no place, and I mean no place whatsoever to make any sort of comment about how you feel like it was wrong for the drivers to not want to race in unsafe conditions.

Racing is not a death match and it is not meant to be one ever. I can’t understant how dense you must be to not understand the fact that drivers are the priority, not the fans. When drivers say that conditions are unsafe, they are.

You do not know better than a professional racecar driver nor do you know any better than any amateur racecar driver or even someone who has just driven a single track day in the wet. You have no knowledge on what it takes and no place as someone sitting at home to criticize drivers and race stewards for red flagging a race for unsafe conditions. I can’t believe you’re still arguing this.

Probably because they could still see where the hell they were going....

Ah, so now Alonso is proof everyone should've kept racing but was also entitled, & whined to stop the race?

Red flags accounted for roughly 4 hours. The first red flag happened w/ 7 hours to go; you got 17 hours of racing up until then. The race resumed with around 5 hours to go. Second red flag happened with 2 hours to go. All-in-all fans got roughly 20 hours of racing.

The fans got more than enough racing action for 1 weekend, and have 11 more races to enjoy.

3 more laps? For 10 minutes of racing at best as the slowest cars were lapping 1:45-1:50 lap times before the very end? Yeah, that's not really worthy any team's effort except for 10 opponents to actually try and compete off the start for 1st. Prior to that, Konica had a 13-second gap over 2nd and 3rd in DPi, BMW had a 1 second lead over Risi in GTLM, and Grasser had a 5-second lead over Montaplast; 3rd-5th in GTD were back by 30 seconds.

It answered your question.

That other sport would have covered itself in the same bubble foam if it encountered the same weather.

Being more dangerous is a failed argument. Where as Indy is more dangerous than IMSA, IMSA is more dangerous than other sports. So why do other sports stop because of some heavy snow or rain if IMSA drivers are taking more risks in dry conditions? Because logic dictates all athletes, regardless of being in a car or on their feet, are at greater risk of participating in harsh weather.

I suggest you build a time machine and travel back to the 30's-50's if driver risk is your fetish, then....

And I've lost the very small amount of respect I have for you. Go watch NASCAR where they send cars to crash intentionally. In fact, I think you'll love the inevitable mess at Daytona in a few weeks.

You've adopted the spoilt brat mentality. You're expecting people you don't know or have relationships with to drive on a dangerous track purely for your entertainment. That's a spoilt brat. Not somebody who's annoyed at being told to drive in conditions where they actually could get injured or lose a car.

Your replies just show you're completely ignorant. You complain about the spoilt brat mentality and want a green flag finish for no reason. That's why you should watch NASCAR. Go watch the Daytona (Whatever It Will Be After the GWC attempts). You'll never be dissatisfied. Unless it rains. Then you'll complain "Mummy. Those cars aren't racing for my entertainment. I don't care if they don't have wet tyres on ovals and would spin anyway, they must race for my entertainment." Because you have the spoilt brat mentality you accuse everyone else of having.

Applauding is not the same as respecting a decision. Though, nobody's applauding you. Or respecting you.

Please do ignore the times where his car was visibly aquaplaning in various places.

The insults are having a field day. In hindsight I should not have said that most racing drivers are spoiled brats. Nonetheless, you probably know what I'm getting at when highlighting Alonso's entitled attitude. Many F1 drivers in recent years have behaved in ways uncalled for, but this has little to do with IMSA or other series in general. My bad for suggesting so.

Apparently it also needs to be stressed once more that I do care about driver safety! What I do not appreciate is how aquaplaning is considered to be something beyond the limit of modern sports car racing, especially in this day and age where the discipline has become very safe. And like I've said all along, the best drivers can handle such downpour, which Alonso proved yesterday.

I do not object the notion that intense spray on the back straight was becoming too much those times the race was red-flagged, but I will always argue that the race should have been allowed to end properly after the track had been blow dried long into the final hour. Looking ahead, IMSA and their host venues should begin to impose some higher standards for drainage. Perhaps not a change to make overnight and expensive too, but doable if ambitions are consistent with progress seen in other areas of the sport

It's not about applauding the call, it's about accepting it for what it is without getting all angry german kid.gif about it.

Nice comparison.

What I do not appreciate is how aquaplaning is considered to be something beyond the limit of modern sports car racing, especially in this day and age where the discipline has become very safe.
Be-because it is just that.
hydroplaning-water.jpg

Aquaplaning or hydroplaning by the tires of a road vehicle, aircraft or other wheeled vehicle occurs when a layer of water builds between the wheels of the vehicle and the road surface, leading to a loss of traction that prevents the vehicle from responding to control inputs. If it occurs to all wheels simultaneously, the vehicle becomes, in effect, an uncontrolled sled. Aquaplaning is a different phenomenon from when water on the surface of the roadway merely acts as a lubricant.
What good is discipline when you're an "uncontrolled sled"?
And like I've said all along, the best drivers can handle such downpour, which Alonso proved yesterday.
Alonso disagrees with you.
Speaking after the race, Alonso said the worsening conditions in the run-up to the second stoppage were such that he was calling for the race to be neutralised before he passed Nasr.

“I called a lot of times, when I was second, over the radio that a safety car was necessary,” said Alonso. “The last five, seven laps of the race were not I think right, for anyone on track.

“The visibility was nearly zero, we could not be flat-out on the straights, the car was moving, the TC [traction control] was coming in sixth gear at 200mph, there were parts of different cars in different parts of the track, because people were losing bodywork here and there.

“I was calling the team for a safety car immediately because I could not see anything. Felipe went a little bit long into Turn 1, we took the lead. We were just lucky in that moment.

“I think conditions were also ok to stop the race seven laps before we did, and at that moment we were second.”

Be-because it is just that.

What good is discipline when you're an "uncontrolled sled"?

Alonso disagrees with you.

I agree if we're talking the entire surface being covered in a layer of water, but skidding over a puddle here and there is manageable. The latter scenario is what they'd have had to cope with if the race was allowed to run the last few laps after the blow drying.

One of the Ferrari GTLM drivers was saying the reason that Farfus was able to drive past him in the BMW was because the M8 has a taller ride hight than the 488, which was literally aquaplaning on the floor. The car was a boat...that is “beyond the limit”.

Could the drivers have plodded around at 50mph, weaving between puddles and rivers? Of course...but what for? What would it prove? We’re not in the days of “is it possible to race a car for 24 hours? Will it make it???” Yes, yes it’ll more than likely make it (unless it’s a Mazda). No one is charting any new territory here, or doing important research, or anything that is dependent on the race being completed in full no matter the conditions. Most of these guys are just doing it for fun.

That’s something else not being mentioned. This is a Pro/Am race. Yes, there are some ex-F1 drivers who race, but there’s also a whole gang of bronze and silver drivers who do this as a hobby. One of the LMP2 drivers was talking about how his neck was going to be killing him when he went back to work on Monday. A lot of the cars in that field are extremely narrowly funded programs - even if the lower rated driver wasn’t driving the car in the terrible conditions, if there was a “big one” where multiple cars got torn up (and we’ve seen those before with multiclass racing in low visibility conditions), even if no one got hurt, it could easily mean fewer cars on the grid for Seabring, or even the rest of the season. And for what?

I was glad Race Control gave it a shot, and I was glad they stopped it when they did. They pushed it further than almost any other series I can think of would have pushed it, but it didn’t need to go any further.

I agree if we're talking the entire surface being covered in a layer of water, but skidding over a puddle here and there is manageable. The latter scenario is what they'd have had to cope with if the race was allowed to run the last few laps after the blow drying.
Amazing. You weren't even there, yet you continue to know better than all the people who were.....

Running for the last 10 minutes would be pointless.

There's no denying on my part that rain on the track is riskier than no rain, but advances in overall driver safety have done plenty to ensure that no one was in exceptional danger.
And yet drivers still get life-threatening injuries or worse in serious accidents. How you make the jump from "safety is better" to "safety no longer matters" baffles me. Racing is still a dangerous thing, despite all the attention to safety. There is no reason to subject the drivers to increased risk, particularly when they no longer could control their cars (e.g. turn 1 and the bus stop).

So those of us who watched on TV don't matter? You do realise that IMSA is trying to expand cooperation with various broadcasters worldwide?
Of course viewers matter, but not above the safety of the drivers. And what was going on before they red flagged it was no longer racing. It was cars spinning out just about every lap in a demolition derby waiting to happen. That was no longer quality racing due to the deteriorating conditions. How do you not understand that. And of course IMSA wants to expand, but what does that have to do with anything? Keeping the cars out there leading to added injuries, not to mention the costs of damaged equipment, would undermind everything IMSA is trying to do for growing the sports car world.

Nothing personal. Any driver having an entitled mentality needs to back off when a higher up says no.
This isn't regular sports players complaining to the refs after every call. This is about life and death. Giving feedback on dangerous track conditions is not the same thing as disrespecting authority "saying no".

Your point of view is so confusing to me. Ironically, you're forcing me to play devil's advocate with myself, because my initial reaction was one of huge disappointment that the race ended under red. I hate it. The racing was great when we had it. At first the rain didn't look that bad live, but I was mostly watching on my phone so it probably looked worse on a large screen and obviously in person was a whole other story. Either way, the drivers could no longer control their cars safely. It seemed another car would spin out just about every lap! It was no longer racing at that point, but simple survival and dumb luck as to who managed to avoid accident and continue going in the right direction.

I'm unhappy with the way the race ended - with the rain - but what would you have had IMSA do? They tried to run the cars but the weather was too much.

I know you like to repeat "safety has come so far" and it has, but it is still not perfect. Even in enclosed cockpits there are still plenty of risks. With visibility so poor and so much standing water drivers could no longer control their cars and that is a problem. Further, race cars cost money, and risking a greater chance at damaging equipment benefits no one and actually pushes teams away. This is not a demolition derby.

I'm sure DIS has looked at ways to deal with heavy rain and that they will continue to do so. But there is only so much you can do given the local climate and surrounding area/water table. Ultimately Mother Nature wins. This isn't the 1960's where we just throw caution to the wind - "real men race no matter what!" The bottom line is it was not safe to continue in those conditions.

Edit:
The race director was wrong to not give the cars at least three more laps at the end. The track was being prepared for it, which is kind of the whole root of this discussion.
Are you seriously suggesting they should have ended a 24 hour race with a green-white-checkers even in undrivable conditions? Come on, now. I'm all for ending a race under green, but the (unlimited) G-W-C is a gimmicky joke in Nascar and there is more at stake here than just your personal entertainment.

Edit 2:
Did you and I watch the same race? Hydroplaning going into a turn at 180-200 mph, where there may be other cars already spun out, is hardly manageable. It is dangerous and an unnecessary risk to life and equipment.

Last edited:
Well, next time someone races a car in a video game under wet conditions, when you crash, don't hit exit race. Just stay there. Don't exit the game, don't get up, don't shut off the screen. Just, stay there.

Amazing. You weren't even there, yet you continue to know better than all the people who were.....

You must know that drivers have techniques for controlling the cars through puddles, which are commonly applied when full wet tires are fitted and water accumulates in lower parts of a track. Obviously, the blow dryers were working to restore the track to a condition where full wet compounds could operate. Anybody could tell lightyears away.

Running for the last 10 minutes would be pointless.

Much can happen in 10 minutes, so I disagree.

And yet drivers still get life-threatening injuries or worse in serious accidents. How you make the jump from "safety is better" to "safety no longer matters" baffles me. Racing is still a dangerous thing, despite all the attention to safety. There is no reason to subject the drivers to increased risk, particularly when they no longer could control their cars (e.g. turn 1 and the bus stop).

You misunderstood my point, but you're not the first to assume that I'm some psycho spectator. The track had been restored by those trucks to a condition where full wet tires could operate during the final minutes. This not only suggests that safety is better than years ago, but it also reinforces how driver safety matters more than ever. Despite of this, the race was not allowed to end properly.

Of course viewers matter, but not above the safety of the drivers. And what was going on before they red flagged it was no longer racing. It was cars spinning out just about every lap in a demolition derby waiting to happen. That was no longer quality racing due to the deteriorating conditions. How do you not understand that.

It was quality racing by those who managed, exceptional actually.

Anyway, by now you must all realize that I do not disagree with the decision to stop the race when many drivers had weather-related incidents. What I disagree with is how the race didn't restart despite successful efforts to make it happen.

And of course IMSA wants to expand, but what does that have to do with anything? Keeping the cars out there leading to added injuries, not to mention the costs of damaged equipment, would undermind everything IMSA is trying to do for growing the sports car world.

It has everything to do with it. Again, no one would have been in exceptional danger if allowed to race for the last 10 minutes or so. The call not to resume the race despite having restored the track was a disservice to the event.

This isn't regular sports players complaining to the refs after every call. This is about life and death. Giving feedback on dangerous track conditions is not the same thing as disrespecting authority "saying no".

Fair point in this case, but some drivers really need to back off with their tone and attitude, especially some of those brats from F1. Sometimes it's like they are giving commands to race control rather than providing feedback. To repeat a previous remark, there's a difference between voicing concern and repeatedly persuading with zero respect for an authority above you.

Your point of view is so confusing to me. Ironically, you're forcing me to play devil's advocate with myself, because my initial reaction was one of huge disappointment that the race ended under red. I hate it. The racing was great when we had it. At first the rain didn't look that bad live, but I was mostly watching on my phone so it probably looked worse on a large screen and obviously in person was a whole other story. Either way, the drivers could no longer control their cars safely. It seemed another car would spin out just about every lap! It was no longer racing at that point, but simple survival and dumb luck as to who managed to avoid accident and continue going in the right direction.

I'm unhappy with the way the race ended - with the rain - but what would you have had IMSA do? They tried to run the cars but the weather was too much.

I know you like to repeat "safety has come so far" and it has, but it is still not perfect. Even in enclosed cockpits there are still plenty of risks. With visibility so poor and so much standing water drivers could no longer control their cars and that is a problem. Further, race cars cost money, and risking a greater chance at damaging equipment benefits no one and actually pushes teams away. This is not a demolition derby.

I'm sure DIS has looked at ways to deal with heavy rain and that they will continue to do so. But there is only so much you can do given the local climate and surrounding area/water table. Ultimately Mother Nature wins. This isn't the 1960's where we just throw caution to the wind - "real men race no matter what!" The bottom line is it was not safe to continue in those conditions.

Edit:

Are you seriously suggesting they should have ended a 24 hour race with a green-white-checkers even in undrivable conditions? Come on, now. I'm all for ending a race under green, but the (unlimited) G-W-C is a gimmicky joke in Nascar and there is more at stake here than just your personal entertainment.

Edit 2:

Did you and I watch the same race? Hydroplaning going into a turn at 180-200 mph, where there may be other cars already spun out, is hardly manageable. It is dangerous and an unnecessary risk to life and equipment.

There's hardly any point in responding to this in great detail. Many of you seem to think I want to see drivers exposing themselves to danger. I surely don't. What I do want is the race to be resumed when it can be resumed safely. It didn't happen yesterday because race officials were being far too cautious. Yes, you can be far too cautious because all motorsport should be banned if you can't.

Last edited:
You must know that drivers have techniques for controlling the cars through puddles,

I'm guessing you haven't done much driving on icy roads? Because even if you do everything the experts say you should do, you're still a passenger once you hit a patch of black ice. I would imagine it's much the same when aquaplaning at 150+ mph.

Much can happen in 10 minutes, so I disagree.

Yes, we could have ourselves a NASCAR finish! BOOGITY! BOOGITY! BOOGITY! :dopey:

It was quality racing by those who managed, exceptional actually.

So we're just ignoring the fact that even those who managed it were also concerned?

Of course a big reason we had any close racing during the rain was because people were crashing so often they never got spread out due to constant safety cars. To me that's not quality racing, actually that's why I stopped watching NASCAR.

Last edited:
Anyway, by now you must all realize that I do not disagree with the decision to stop the race when many drivers had weather-related incidents. What I disagree with is how the race didn't restart despite successful efforts to make it happen.

It has everything to do with it. Again, no one would have been in exceptional danger if allowed to race for the last 10 minutes or so. The call not to resume the race despite having restored the track was a disservice to the event.

There's hardly any point in responding to this in great detail. Many of you seem to think I want to see drivers exposing themselves to danger. I surely don't. What I do want is the race to be resumed when it can be resumed safely. It didn't happen yesterday because race officials were being far too cautious. Yes, you can be far too cautious because all motorsport should be banned if you can't.

So we've focused your argument to the fact that the race didn't restart at the end. Well, that was a judgement call that rests with IMSA. From my warm, dry seat at home, it didn't look too bad on TV but it's really hard to judge that way. All I know is the radar looked terrible, with little to no clearing and no window to work with, and everyone was reporting that it was bad on track. At that point, it was a judgement call for IMSA. They had already restarted once with disastrous results (cars wrecking on the way to the starting line and continuous spinning after), and so they decided enough was enough. You can certainly disagree with this, but it is hardly a travesty or killing the sport that they went above and beyond trying to get the race in but the weather just didn't cooperate.

You claim the track was sufficiently dried (with it continuing to rain) to do a 10 minute shootout at the end. How do you know this? I saw the jet driers running relentlessly, but as fast as they dried one strip, another one was full of water. Were you out on the track inspecting conditions? Did you drive some test laps? From what I could see, the ground was saturated after, what, 7+ hours of basically continuous rain. The tri-oval infield had a small lake forming! I would have liked nothing more than for the race to finish under green, but when it comes to track conditions I go with the people who were there.

I wouldn't have been crying bloody murder if they had restarted with 10 minutes to go, but I also don't think we lost a great opportunity for racing, given the conditions, by not restarting. What would people be saying if a 10-car pileup had happened, or if someone had been seriously hurt or worse, all due to lack of visibility and hydroplaning? People would be ripping IMSA a new one. We as race fans want to see it end under green, but I am willing to accept that the weather would not allow it.

I am very disappointed the race got rained out. I think we missed out on a great fight to what was shaping up to be a classic finish. The difference is, I blame Mother Nature, not IMSA or the drivers. At this point, I will agree to disagree with you in the interest of moving on.

Bring on Sebring!!!!!!!

I'm guessing you haven't done much driving on icy roads? Because even if you do everything the experts say you should do, you're still a passenger once you hit a patch of black ice. I would imagine it's much the same when aquaplaning at 150+ mph.

My experience on public roads is hardly relevant, but I know what race drivers have managed cope with over the years, including in recent years.

Yes, we could have ourselves a NASCAR finish! BOOGITY! BOOGITY! BOOGITY! :dopey:

Have you never watched an endurance race where the results changed in the final minutes? Many things can happen that don't resemble NASCAR carnage.

Of course a big reason we had any close racing during the rain was because people were crashing so often they never got spread out due to constant safety cars. To me that's not quality racing, actually that's why I stopped watching NASCAR.

Many who never even cared to watch a NASCAR race would disagree that close racing is boring.

I'm sorry, all this debate over weather and what-ifs is boring me and getting excessive. Can we go back to talking about the race, the cars, and what we could see this season?

I agree, but we can't have people like me questioning whether the right call was made. That makes me a whiner and some kind of pervert.

I agree, but we can't have people like me questioning whether the right call was made. That makes me a whiner and some kind of pervert.
I can only speak for myself, but when you basically say the drivers should just deal with it, that strikes a nerve with me. I have seen enough of my favorite and most respected drivers, Dale Earnhardt Sr, Greg Moore, Dario Franchitti, Alex Zanardi, Dan Wheldon, Memo Gidley, Robert Wickens, etc, etc, get seriously injured or killed - I don't need to see them take extraordinary risks in an already dangerous sport.

Edit: Sorry, I felt that was worth pointing out. Again trying to move forward, let's go Sebring!

At this point, I will agree to disagree with you in the interest of moving on.

Disagreement is fine with me.

I can only speak for myself, but when you basically say the drivers should just deal with it, that strikes a nerve with me.

I never basically said that. This is where my opinion is being misunderstood, and fingers crossed this is clear by now.

From a photographer out there that night.
Just starting to go through my pictures from Daytona, but I think this one sums it up pretty well. When the rain came, it came hard. I have read a lot of people complaining about IMSA stopping the race. But for those of us that were out there we experienced just how bad it was. I think they should have stopped the race even earlier. No reason to endanger, cars, drivers, fans and officials when the conditions are so ridiculous.

I think I would give NBC an A- grade on their first broadcast of IMSA and the Rolex 24. The regular NASCAR guys mispronounced drivers names a few times which is probably to be expected first time out. The Peacock Pitbox turned out to be pretty good. Having Townsend Bell and AJ Almendinger both driving and commentating was very good and insightful as to what it was really like out there. The Rutledge Wood segments were actually ok after I first thought I would be hating them.

Big props for the majority of the race to be on NBCSN and only a few hours on the app.

Back