• 1,414 comments

Northstar

The Original Party Worm
Premium
United States
Anoka, MN
IMSA.jpg

Schedule:
Jan 4-5: The Roar Before the 24 (Daytona)
Jan. 24-27: Rolex 24 at Daytona (Daytona)
March 13-16: Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring (Sebring)
April 12-13: Bubba Burger Sports Car Grand Prix at Long Beach (Long Beach)
May 3-5: Acura Sports Car Challenge at Mid-Ohio
May 31-June 1: Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix
Jun 27-30: Sahlen's 6 Hours of the Glen
July 5-7: Sportscar Grand Prix (MoSport)
July 19-20: Northeast Grand Prix (Lime Rock)
Aug. 2-4: Road America
Aug. 23-25: Michelin GT Challenge at VIR
Sep. 13-15: Laguna Seca
Oct. 9-12: Petit Le Mans (Road America)

C8.R testing at Sebring. After hearing this video, words can't express how much I'm going to miss the C7R. I think I'll have to make the trip to Road America again next year to hear them one more time.

For what it's worth.
From an article about the Shanghai 6 hour race Corvette raced at:

"Corvette Racing team manager Ben Johnson previously told Sportscar365 that the team has faced a “daunting” logistics window to get the car ready for Shanghai.

It will likely use a mix of its two IMSA crews for the event, which comes a month after its most recent race at Motl Petit Le Mans, and seven weeks before its next engagement at the Roar Before the Rolex 24."
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/gavin-shanghai-run-out-will-help-corvette-stay-sharp/

And from another article about the roar.

"The GTLM field will feature nine cars, among them the aforementioned No. 66 machine for the defending race champions as part of a two-car Ford Chip Ganassi Racing program. Defending GTLM series champions Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia also will be in the field in the No. 3 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C7.R alongside their endurance racing co-driver, Mike Rockenfeller, as part of a two-car entry from the team."

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/imsa/imsa-reveals-roar-24-entry-list#ixzz5YzyYWQIq

Wiz
C8.R testing at Sebring. After hearing this video, words can't express how much I'm going to miss the C7R. I think I'll have to make the trip to Road America again next year to hear them one more time.

Was just about to post this. Still, this Corvette Homologation Special is intriguing

Knowing GM with the Vette, I'm going to guess an engine of similar displacement will end up in the production model. Sill would rather hear the cross plane 5.5 though even though that engine would probably be give a better chance of favorable BoP in a class full of mostly smaller displacement turbo engines.

The C7.R has easily been one of my favorite GT cars of the last few years. Certainly going to miss it, but it's one of the oldest, if not the oldest car on the grid, so it's definitely time for a new package. Also going to miss the thundering note booming from the powerplant, but I guess that's the way we're going now. Long as the C8.R's still a winner, I can't complain.

Starting to work out the details for the Mid-Ohio race, which I'm trying to attend this year! Hopefully schedules line up so I can go. Would make for a really fun weekend!

Starting to work out the details for the Mid-Ohio race, which I'm trying to attend this year! Hopefully schedules line up so I can go. Would make for a really fun weekend!
Yeah, I highly recommend it. Me and my family went last year, it was a ton of fun. Plus I got to see these 2 legends.

Last edited:
The C7.R has easily been one of my favorite GT cars of the last few years. Certainly going to miss it, but it's one of the oldest, if not the oldest car on the grid, so it's definitely time for a new package. Also going to miss the thundering note booming from the powerplant, but I guess that's the way we're going now. Long as the C8.R's still a winner, I can't complain.

Oldest still competing in its original form. Technically the Porsche 911 would be the oldest overall, sans mid engine remix

The C7.R is not in its original form: it debuted in 2014, and was updated in 2016 with larger front splitter and rear diffuser, along with side rocker splitters and a relocated rear wing.
True. It has received upgrades along the way, though the basic shape and features have stayed the same compared to the 911's engine being moved to the middle

So the 'Vette is going full mid-engine. This will be interesting to see.

This has been know about for almost two year actually...

True. It has received upgrades along the way, though the basic shape and features have stayed the same compared to the 911's engine being moved to the middle

But the basic shape and for the most part features have stayed the same for the Porsche too. They moved the engine a bit forward and it has altered the balance. The Aero package on the Vette has changed the cars performance as well, not much else they could do since they run front mid already. The changes though being wider floor, much more aggressive front splitter, with stepped turning vanes and dive planes, massive rear diffuser, bigger cooling inlets, and the rear wing was pushed back further. This would be quite a change to the balance of the car too. Sure overall wise it looks like the same car but it'd be safe to call it an Evo version of the Vette.

Hmmm, really bizarre news thus far.

Sad to see Madison Snow withdraw - being young and obviously talented. I suspect Nielsen will get picked up, but one wonders if there is more behind the move than budget issues. I think the Legge move to a twin-lady car could be more of a PR stunt than a smart racing move, particularly for someone who was in competition for the championship this year. I would like to see Parente return somehow.

Interesting to see Magnus switching to Lambo (though I wonder how different the two cars are, really). Excited for a revised version of the Audi R8, though that car is getting ooooooollldddddd...

Aschenbach is a bit surprising. He was absolute fire in almost everything he drove up until he started Weathertech. Genuinely extremely talented driver in Pirelli, also in Continental...and just kinda fell off the face of the Earth after moving to the big show.

I suspect Nielsen will get picked up, but one wonders if there is more behind the move than budget issues.

My guess is that she is shopping around since Wright wasn't really that great last year (and I'm sure being a Posche partner team comes with a premium seat price that may not be worth it).

I think the Legge move to a twin-lady car could be more of a PR stunt than a smart racing move, particularly for someone who was in competition for the championship this year.

Their options were pretty limited with Legge getting bumped to gold, so they would be stupid to turn away a driver with a full season of funding.

I was aware of the plans for the 'Vette to go mid engine. I just didn't quite believe it completely.

It will be interesting to see how the new car does.

And to get a good look at it.

When do you think the new C8.R will debut? We know that the C7.R will run on next IMSA season, so I don't believe it will happen on IMSA.

I have the feeling that it could debut on WEC's Silverstone 4H, in September...

Huh, so Wright may be out then - with Long jumping ship to Park Place, and Nielsen leaving as well. I thought they were going to do big things last year, guess it didn't happen.

When do you think the new C8.R will debut? We know that the C7.R will run on next IMSA season, so I don't believe it will happen on IMSA.

I have the feeling that it could debut on WEC's Silverstone 4H, in September...

Rolex 24 in 2020 is my guess.

Figured I would do an update on the GTD field.

Full Season (15):
AIM Vasser Sullivan - 2 Lexus
Magnus - 1 Lamborghini
Meyer-Shank - 2 Acura
Moorespeed - 1 Audi
P1 Motorsports - 1 Mercedes-AMG
Park Place - 1 Porsche
Paul Miller - 1 Lamborghini with a possible 2nd
Pfaff - 1 Porsche
PPM - 1 Lamborghini
Riley - 1 Mercedes-AMG
Scuderia Corsa - 1 Ferrari with a 2nd possible for NAEC
Starworks - 1 Audi with a possible 2nd
Turner - 1 BMW

Sprint Only:
Compass - 1 McLaren

Endurance Only:
Grasser - 1 Lamborghini
Land - 1 Audi (Surprisingly)

Daytona Only:
Herberth - 1 Porsche

Unknown's:

3GT - Stated they wanted to continue, but nothing has been announced (and I doubt there will be)
Flying Lizard - Lots of rumors about them and McLaren, nothing announced yet.
GMG - Purchased a new Porsche, no announcement where they are racing it though
CJ Wilson/Gradient Racing - Gradient formed by former CJ Wilson employees, no word on plans for either team yet.
HART - Status unknown
Wright - Both drivers left after 2018, nothing announced for 2019.
Team WRT - Possible Daytona entry with an Audi

Supposedly another full-season Audi is in the works as well as the possibility of an Aston Martin later in the year.

Last edited:
Back