2019 Mazda3

I looked at a hatch in a dealer showroom recently while my 2012 was in for routine maintenance. It did seem bigger, and of course the materials and interior treatment appears much more high end. I'm pseudo-tempted, but I still like mine. If they had a manual in stock I may have taken it for a drive, but this dealer might keep manuals special order. (My 2012 on the other hand was one of a few manuals in stock at the time).

Also, the whole dealer/showroom has been renovated and is much more upscale. It's quite a change from being in what was the used portion of a Ford/Mazda lot a few years ago. I wonder if this is a Mazda-dealer wide initiative. Related to that, I was going to attend this dealer's grand opening for the new building, but when a couple miles away I got called to help after a tornado.

Also, the whole dealer/showroom has been renovated and is much more upscale. It's quite a change from being in what was the used portion of a Ford/Mazda lot a few years ago. I wonder if this is a Mazda-dealer wide initiative.
The dealer near where I go to get oil filters for my Hyundai recently renovated too, so it might be.

Saw a base hatch parked at the beach. Soul red with red taillights. Love it. Needs to be lowered with 17s.

Been noticing some comparison tests pop up on my news feed. Thought I'd post a few.

Motor Trend: Corolla Sedan vs 3 Sedan
Winner: Toyota

Motor Trend: Civic Sedan vs 3 Sedan
Winner: Honda

Car and Driver: VW Golf vs 3 Hatch
Winner: Mazda, but probably not over the Golf GTI for similar money (vs 6M Hatch)

Autoguide: Civic Hatch vs 3 Hatch
Winner: Honda

The overwhelming constant I see through all of these reviews is that the new 3 isn't as good to drive as the old one, despite being more refined. I think this has always been my biggest concern, and I think it reflects a change in direction for Mazda. I think it's safe to say that "Zoom-Zoom" has been put to bed, which is a bit sad. Strangely, with things like the new Corolla, Toyota seems to be the one chasing the sort of cheap-thrills mantra.

I think Mazda is going to be in a challenging position soon. They don't have the market share to absorb anything other than a sales success. The old 3 was a darling of the press, and that visibility and those plaudits surely contributed to sales. The new one doesn't seem to have the same universal admiration - there always seems to be a caveat (It looks great inside and out, but....). So it's more expensive than most of its competitors and not as fun as the Toyota (what?) nor as practical as the Honda (not that anyone should have expected it to be). How much does design, refinement and premium feel count in the context of a non-premium branded vehicle? To what extent is somebody going to pick a less useful or less fun vehicle for more money if they aren't getting a blue-chip badge? It's a risky strategy...but Mazda has not really been one to play it safe. I'm curious to see how this all plays out, but I'm not betting one way or the other.

Maybe they are doing like what they've done to the ND. Not making the ND a Mazdaspeed, but upping the performance a bit.
Might be the same for the 3 in the near future. Especially with a possible Mazda3 TCR(by Mazda Motorsports USA) in development.

What's worrying there is that these are against the Corolla, which has never been a dynamic standout, and the Civic, which is okay, but not really dynamically fantastic when you're looking at non-Type R variants.

Mazda has gotten the rear torsion beam right on the 2. I'd be shocked if they couldn't get it to work on the 3. The torsion beam tuning would explain complaints regarding handling and braking... soft braking may be due to the system having to work around rear wheel traction... which was an issue on the older Mazda 2 (rear tires went light under hard braking) but not as noticeable on the current one.

Arguably a mis-step. What matters is how they adapt from this point.

I firmly believe they went torsion beam to save costs so they could put that money elsewhere in the car, like the interior & NVH.

Bad move. Funny, just as Mazda is switching to the TB, everyone else offers or will offer IRS in some or all trims.

More than the torsion beam, I think the new 3 is simply too heavy....up to 3250lbs with AWD. For comparison, the previous gen base model was around 2700lbs. That's quite a bit of weight for an n/a 2.5 to lug around but also makes the car feel generally less agile. The Corolla, depending on configuration could be up to 400lbs lighter. Even the larger Civic is lighter.

Scope creep has really pudgyed-up the compact car class....and the selection of sub-compacts in the US is pitiful.

Mazda declares that there will not be any performance version offered for the new Mazda3.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/mazda-says-it-has-no-intention-of-making-a-mazda3-hot-hatch/

At this point, I think it's safe to say that the MazdaSpeed nameplate is dead, and we should expect any MazdaSpeed products in the future. The last new MazdaSpeed vehicle came out in 2009 (2nd-gen Mazda3), and nothing else. Doesn't necessarily mean that Mazda won't make any more sporty packages again, though. That being said, I don't see why Mazda won't offer at least some sort of sports trim for the 3. I don't think poor sales would be the issue, as the 3 is generally perceived as the highest quality and best looking hatchback in it's class, and it's theoretical rival in the US, the Golf GTI, is already a strong seller. Or, it could fill the void of the soon-extinct Focus ST. The hot hatch market in Europe is more crowded than ever before it would make sense for Mazda to compete. Furthermore, even if it isn't a star seller, a hot, sporty Mazda3 would freshen up the brand's image and give them more publicity, which would translate to a slight increase in sales of other Mazda vehicles, the "normal" 3, the 6, and CUVs.

While I know the new 3 is still new, I've seen worryingly few out on the road. The area I live in should be prime territory for the customers Mazda wants - young and upwardly ambitious. But I've seen, I believe, 2 sedans and 1 hatchback since release.

By comparison, I am now seeing multiple 2020 Corolla sedans daily, a car that was released later and with nowhere near as much hype.

It's anecdotal and lacking sufficient data for sure, but I don't see much success for the new 3 yet.

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

The 'Rolla hatch had a bit of a headstart, but in terms of sedans I'd say it's nearly 1:1 here. That ratio is roughly the same for the hatch/sedan too. Then again, Ontario (and Toronto in particular) has always seemed to be a 3-loving area.

Well, the MAzda3 all over the place now. Orders must have come in. The hatch is dominating what I see. Such a beautiful front end. Aggressive, stealth, futuristic. If I were to get one, it'd be Boring White. Just so I could have the contrast of the blacked out front and dark red tailights. Awesome car.

Well, the MAzda3 all over the place now. Orders must have come in. The hatch is dominating what I see. Such a beautiful front end. Aggressive, stealth, futuristic. If I were to get one, it'd be Boring White. Just so I could have the contrast of the blacked out front and dark red tailights. Awesome car.

I started seeing more today as well here in the US. Its about time, I love the hatch a lot more than the sedan. I saw a white one today with the taillights blacked out, really cool.

Noticed an uptick out west too. In the flesh, I think the sedan is more elegant, but the hatch does have some presence. Would love to see what Mazdaspeed version would look like, especially on the sedan.

Seen 1 sedan on the road, 1 hatch at my work.
I actually had a chance to drive this hatch. Almost immediately I could tell it had a torsion beam. Didn't get a change to try out any major handling moves but you could tell with the ride quality in the back. Other than that, drove relatively nice and the interior was quite fancy. Was a ~15 minute drive, would need more time in it to get a better impression.

Look like the Marilyn Manson of front clips. Such a baddy. I'd seriously buy it just for that front.
BT_20190705_MMAZDA5_3827011.jpg

While I know the new 3 is still new, I've seen worryingly few out on the road. The area I live in should be prime territory for the customers Mazda wants - young and upwardly ambitious. But I've seen, I believe, 2 sedans and 1 hatchback since release.

By comparison, I am now seeing multiple 2020 Corolla sedans daily, a car that was released later and with nowhere near as much hype.

It's anecdotal and lacking sufficient data for sure, but I don't see much success for the new 3 yet.

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

Apparently my observations correlate with a right pummeling the new 3 is getting in the market. 2019 is set to be the worst year for Mazda3 sales ever.

I still haven't quite figured out who the 3 is meant to be for. It's too expensive compared to the other mainstream brands to attract value shoppers, it's zoom-zoom has been reduced enough to blunt the enthusiasm of the enthusiasts, and that leaves it as a premium-esque hatchback...a no mans land that I just don't see being occupied by very many buyers. Premium vehicle shoppers want a premium badge...it's almost entirely the point.

Mazda lost me at 1 & 2. I like the car...but I don't think it's worth paying $28k just to get a manual in a car with only 185hp, a torsion beam, and more than 3,200lbs to carry around. It's...disappointing, and I can't help but feel many previous Mazda owners feel the same.

Apparently my observations correlate with a right pummeling the new 3 is getting in the market. 2019 is set to be the worst year for Mazda3 sales ever.

I still haven't quite figured out who the 3 is meant to be for. It's too expensive compared to the other mainstream brands to attract value shoppers, it's zoom-zoom has been reduced enough to blunt the enthusiasm of the enthusiasts, and that leaves it as a premium-esque hatchback...a no mans land that I just don't see being occupied by very many buyers. Premium vehicle shoppers want a premium badge...it's almost entirely the point.

And sales are down across the board. 29% decrease for the Mazda6. It seems like the premium strategy did not work out. They made a misstep. In a time of decline for sedans and hatchbacks, they released a car with a price tag that is too high. And they can't cash in on the premium image like a Lexus or the like. :(

And sales are down across the board. 29% decrease for the Mazda6. It seems like the premium strategy did not work out. They made a misstep. In a time of decline for sedans and hatchbacks, they released a car with a price tag that is too high. And they can't cash in on the premium image like a Lexus or the like. :(

I don't think it's over yet. The CX-5 is still doing well, and unlike a hatchback, I think it can do the premium-esque thing as the premium competitors are built on largely similar (unibody, fwd-based) platforms. That is to say, a Mazda CX-5 looks compelling against a Lexus RX, or Audi Q5 (I think that's the CX-5 sized one) in a way that the Mazda3 doesn't as there isn't much to compare it to, other than the far more reasonably priced competitors from Japan and Korea. The SUV/Truck market seems more...hmmm...egalitarian - Jeeps and 4Runners can compete against more luxury nameplates, something about the utilitarian nature of the segment I guess. I don't think this works with (economy) cars, the buying public sees them as largely interchangeable and disposable, so the brand recognition is more important.

If Mazda does indeed build an inline-six rwd luxury sedan, than I think they have a much better shot at making the premium thing stick. It will still have to be priced aggressively compared to the Germans, but I think it stands a far better chance than the current Mazda6.

If Mazda does indeed build an inline-six rwd luxury sedan, than I think they have a much better shot at making the premium thing stick. It will still have to be priced aggressively compared to the Germans, but I think it stands a far better chance than the current Mazda6.

I wish Mazda offered an AWD option for the 6 GT/GTR/Signature. It currently, aside from the MX-5, is the only model to not offer it. CX-3/CX-5/CX-9/Mazda3 offer it. I currently have a customer who is comparing an A6 to the Mazda6 and while I was successful previously from converting him from a Q7 to a CX-9 Signature, this time around, i'm struggling as I have no answer to the Audi's driving dynamics when the second you touch the gas pedal in the Mazda6, the tires break loose.

It's coming down to the point where I'm offering the guy a Stinger GT AWD instead.

Reluctantly, I agree. The "premium" re-branding of Mazda may have made enthusiasts happy but it's not sustainable from a sales perspective. The current Mazda6, for example, seems to be in a class of it's own right now; it's a few thousands more than a CamCord or Malibu or Sonata, but still less money than a Lexus ES or Buick Regal or Acura TLX. This seems to be a very awkward position for the 6, since most buyers would rather spend less on a cheaper mid-size, or spend extra for the premium badge. The same can be said for the Mazda3; more money than an Elantra or Corolla or Cruze, but much less than an Audi A3 or Mercedes A-Class. A very awkward place to be.

I think Mazda is beginning to realize this now, or if not yet, in a few years. Bottom line is, if you're going to make a premium car, it must be under an already premium marque to be successful. You simply can't change a company's reputation a run-of-the-mill economy car maker to a slightly more upscale and refined brand. Buyers will always see Mazda as just another Japanese car marque, no different than Honda or Toyota or Nissan. That being said, I'd assume that the next-gen 3, and the 6 if it's still around, will lose the "premium" image, will cost less, and in turn be a blander and more conservative offering. Because even though cars like this would be more boring, they would likely yield in more sales.

Volkswagen was in the same boat as Mazda 10-15 years ago. In 2006 for example, the Jetta and Passat were slightly more "premium" than their American or Japanese rivals (but not quite entry-level luxury), and they lagged behind the competition in terms of sales. Now, the Jetta and Passat are more mainstream, blander, and in the same price boat as their rivals. This strategy has worked better for the Jetta than the Passat, though.

Reluctantly, I agree. The "premium" re-branding of Mazda may have made enthusiasts happy but it's not sustainable from a sales perspective.

I don't think the enthusiasts care and it looks like non-enthusiasts don't care either. Actually, the premium focus and extra baggage turns enthusiasts away.

Latest Posts

Back