2019 Mazda3

United States
Marin County
Well, it looks like we are less than a month away from the reveal of the 2019 Mazda3. I am quite excited about this, as I'm considering one for my next car. Mazda has released this teaser:

So this is obviously going to be drawing heavily from the Mazda Kai concept shown last year.

akrales_180328_2315_0331.0.jpg

My observations: The production car has a little bit more definition to its character lines compared to the Kai. At the same time, they aren't as overwrought (IMO) as on the current Mazda3 and Mazda6 and to my eyes the car looks like it will be similar in appearance to the revised CX-5 and CX-9. The way the top-of-fender character line flows from a hard edged surface 'kink' to a soft, curving form after the rear door is pretty sexy and reminds me of the coupe concept from last year. The extra-chunky C pillar from the Kai appears to have transitioned intact, and I think it's a real standout element...somehow gives the whole thing an Italian feel (I keep thinking of the magnificent Brera when I see the Kai). It looks like it's going to be a handsome car. I'm looking forward to the reveal.

The current car is still, IMO, the best looking & driving car in it's class (excluding high-performance trims) so I'm hoping that the 2019 car is going to be better still.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it is fair to judge the car based on patent drawings either, any car in this segment would look boring if drawn to that level.

I'm interested to see how this turns out - Mazda is one of the few, if not only, Japanese manufacturer which has a admirable design language throughout the entire range.

I do wonder about blind spots in the hatch. That is a big 'ol C pillar.

That's the trade off for a very coupe-like side profile. Not entirely sure families would be pleased with how dark it could get in the back too.

That is a badass looking interior. Based on the camo shots, this is pretty much what I was hoping for...a thoroughly refreshed version of the current car, which is still (IMO) the best looking car in it's segment despite being one of the oldest. Apparently the 2.5L engine will be standard. So figure 190hp or so in the base model, and probably around 2700lbs. Not bad, not bad. I'm probably the only one in the world who thinks this...but I wish it didn't have dual exhaust....doesn't belong on a 4 cylinder hatchback, IMO.

Also nice to see an array of classic instrument bezels.

Pretty sure that middle one is digital. Not quite classic. :D

Adjust your mirrors right and you won't have blind spots.

No amount of mirror manipulation/trickery can help me back out of a parking spot with any degree of confidence in my GF's Audi A4 Cab. You just have to go for it and hope that any unseen vehicles will stop and any unseen children will flee. :lol:

Looks like a nice evolution of the current car. Coming up on 40k miles in my 2015 and still love it. Nice to see the 2.5 standard this time around so maybe the 3 will finally get the turbo again soon.

Looks like a nice evolution of the current car. Coming up on 40k miles in my 2015 and still love it. Nice to see the 2.5 standard this time around so maybe the 3 will finally get the turbo again soon.

I'm curious to see what tuners will do with the 2 liter SPCCI engine, if anything. It has something resembling a supercharger from the factory...more 'boost' pressure? The compression is already in the stratosphere though. I have a feeling disabling spcci operation will be job one for custom tunes, sadly. Will be interesting to see. It would be truly awesome for them to bring back a MPS/Mazdspeed version.

Hmmm...I'm not sure I like the hatchback based on those images. I need to see more. I do like the sedan more than I thought I would, and the interior looks pretty special. I think the official reveal is 7:30pm, PST tonight, hopefully there will be more info.

Last edited:
Me either. The c-pillar is going to be hard to get used to visually. Definitely like the sedan.

Going back up to the photo of the camo'd car and comparing it to the closest-to-profile shot of the undisguised car, I'm thinking that they really selected a poor angle for the press release, because it doesn't look nearly as ungainly in the spy shot. Here's hoping anyways, because I really want to like the hatch....need moar picssss

2019-mazda-3-spy-shots-104-1542137810.jpg

The body to wheel ratio in the first hatchback picture is all kinds of wrong.

Back