2019 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 448 comments
It's finally time. One last final game. What a time to be aLIVe! All of the predictions, all of the coverage, all of the other stuff all comes down to this. All 32 NFL teams dreamed of being in the position two teams are tonight. Of those 32, two of the best... or two of the luckiest... will clash in Miami, Florida to hoist the Lombardi Trophy and be declared champions of the historic 100th season of football in the National Football League. It's Super Bowl LIV!

Kansas City Chiefs. San Francisco 49ers. Enjoy the game. Congratulations to whomever becomes champion after tonight.

Congrats to the Chiefs on a well deserved win. It was a great close game from what i watched of the first three quarters - before i could no longer keep my eyes open (was about 2am GMT by that point). It had been pretty even at first but by the time i was starting to nod off the 49ers looked to be hitting their stride and had stretched it out to 20-10. I thought i'd wake in the morning to a San Francisco win, but typically that missed final quarter looks like it was the best part of the game.

Had it been a regular length half-time instead of that pointlessly glitzy medley show, i might have made it to the end. Thanks J-Lo.

I watched the first half live but had to go to my bed - but I figured that I'd be late for work had I stayed up anyway, so I watched the rest of the game this morning :lol:

Fantastic game - I thought the Chiefs had blown it but in that one crucial play when they were 3rd and 15 and Maholmes made a 44 yd pass, the entire game turned around. The 49ers had no reply - literally. 17 straight points for the 49ers were followed by 21 straight points for the Chiefs (all in the space of just 5 game-minutes at the end of Q4!) and by the time the Chiefs were ahead you could already see that the 49ers were a beaten side.

That said, I am glad that the game didn't hinge on the Chiefs' second TD, as it was very suspect to me. I must admit I didn't really understand how it was given other than the BBC guys explaining that there was nothing 'obvious' to overrule the decision, and in the absence of proof the other way, the on-field decision stands.

In any case, the Chiefs thoroughly deserved their victory and I'm very glad that I recorded it and got to see the whole match without spoilers.

I watched the first half live but had to go to my bed - but I figured that I'd be late for work had I stayed up anyway, so I watched the rest of the game this morning :lol:

Fantastic game - I thought the Chiefs had blown it but in that one crucial play when they were 3rd and 15 and Maholmes made a 44 yd pass, the entire game turned around. The 49ers had no reply - literally. 17 straight points for the 49ers were followed by 21 straight points for the Chiefs (all in the space of just 5 game-minutes at the end of Q4!) and by the time the Chiefs were ahead you could already see that the 49ers were a beaten side.

That said, I am glad that the game didn't hinge on the Chiefs' second TD, as it was very suspect to me. I must admit I didn't really understand how it was given other than the BBC guys explaining that there was nothing 'obvious' to overrule the decision, and in the absence of proof the other way, the on-field decision stands.

In any case, the Chiefs thoroughly deserved their victory and I'm very glad that I recorded it and got to see the whole match without spoilers.

If you're talking about the Damian Williams TD reception, it looked like he could have stepped out of bounds but at the same time it looked like he broke the plane of the goal line with the ball simultaneously. Luckily the ref called it a touchdown because if he had ruled he stepped out, you really didn't have conclusive evidence to overturn that into a touchdown either.

San Francisco didn't have the same dedication to running the ball this game as in the two previous games so they couldn't eat the clock up. That put the ball in Jimmy G's hands and as everybody had been talking about for two weeks questioning if he could deliver, he didn't and Mahomes did.

If you're talking about the Damian Williams TD reception, it looked like he could have stepped out of bounds but at the same time it looked like he broke the plane of the goal line with the ball simultaneously. Luckily the ref called it a touchdown because if he had ruled he stepped out, you really didn't have conclusive evidence to overturn that into a touchdown either.

Having watched the England vs France Six Nations rugby union match earlier in the day (we'll just leave it at that) it really highlighted some real differences in the nuances of the rules between what must be two of the most similar sports. Rugby has a 'try' and American Football has a 'touchdown' - both of which amount to the same thing in goal, yet in rugby the player has to actually touch the ball down behind the try line to score, where as in AF you don't have to touch down to score a touch down - braking the plane of the goal line will suffice. So many times will i see a touchdown and think WTF? how can that be a score, they barely clipped the corner post whilst in mid-air.

I didn't 'get' the pass to Kittle just before half time that was disallowed due to pass interference as he'd handed away potential tackler Sorensen. Seems inconceivable to someone who played rugby where that sort of thing is encouraged - although i guess one is 'in possession of the ball' and the other is 'not quite in possession of the ball' - but for such a physical game you'd have thought that would be more of a grey area that the officials could interpret on a case by case basis.

Excellent SuperBowl. I really had trouble predict who was going to win until nearly the end of the game. Both teams were operating at a very high level, and you got the sense that a big play could break the game at any moment. Also very fun that I was happy for either team to win, so I got to just sit back and enjoy some excellent football.

The halftime show though... what the actual...

Beyonce started the "I will shove my crotch at the camera" in the superbowl halftime show a few years back and my boy did those two run with it. Who is this appealing to? They do 10 seconds of each song, so you can't get into any of it, they have TWO performers crammed into a tiny time period, so you can't really enjoy that either. Ugly music, ugly dancing. Probably the best part what Shakira's little belly dance with the rope/snake around her arms.

Halftime shows are usually bad, this one was unusually bad.

Who is this appealing to?

50+-year-old men who are slightly drunk and want to watch two women who look way younger than they are shaking their ass for 20 minutes.

It wasn't bad, but it beat last year's sweaty Maroon 5 and a distinct lack of Spongebob.

Having watched the England vs France Six Nations rugby union match earlier in the day (we'll just leave it at that) it really highlighted some real differences in the nuances of the rules between what must be two of the most similar sports. Rugby has a 'try' and American Football has a 'touchdown' - both of which amount to the same thing in goal, yet in rugby the player has to actually touch the ball down behind the try line to score, where as in AF you don't have to touch down to score a touch down - braking the plane of the goal line will suffice. So many times will i see a touchdown and think WTF? how can that be a score, they barely clipped the corner post whilst in mid-air.

I didn't 'get' the pass to Kittle just before half time that was disallowed due to pass interference as he'd handed away potential tackler Sorensen. Seems inconceivable to someone who played rugby where that sort of thing is encouraged - although i guess one is 'in possession of the ball' and the other is 'not quite in possession of the ball' - but for such a physical game you'd have thought that would be more of a grey area that the officials could interpret on a case by case basis.

The few times I've watched rugby I would see a player on a breakaway run and when they cross the line with nobody even close to them they still had to "touch" the ball on the ground in order for the score to count. As an American I always thought that was a little strange but hey them's the rules as they say so I understand where you're coming from.

The Kittle play is a tough one, did he push off to create separation in order to make that catch, yes he did. Could you have made a case for possibly not calling that in that situation in the Super Bowl and let them play more, yes you could. In American football you see constant hand fighting between receivers and defensive backs and it's usually the defensive backs that get called for pass interference.

The Kittle play is a tough one, did he push off to create separation in order to make that catch, yes he did. Could you have made a case for possibly not calling that in that situation in the Super Bowl and let them play more, yes you could. In American football you see constant hand fighting between receivers and defensive backs and it's usually the defensive backs that get called for pass interference.

Yea, that was a push-off. I think it was a decent call, would have seemed less fair if they had let it go. It's once of those instances where people are going to get upset either way, but looking at it I think the way it went was the better of the two.

Yea, that was a push-off. I think it was a decent call, would have seemed less fair if they had let it go. It's once of those instances where people are going to get upset either way, but looking at it I think the way it went was the better of the two.

Yeah I agree. I thought it was the right call too because Kittle pushed Sorensen off right as the ball was getting there which greatly helped him to make the catch. It's not like it happened just outside of the 5 yard rule as he made his break. Shanahan obviously didn't think it was the right call :lol:

Now that the Chiefs have re-established themselves, what happens next. Many players are going to want a pay raise, same for San Fran, so how badly will that hurt, and does Andy retire from coaching while on top or keep at it a few more years before moving to the front office full time?

Stupid google ad going blatantly right for the feels.

source.gif

Excellent SuperBowl. I really had trouble predict who was going to win until nearly the end of the game. Both teams were operating at a very high level, and you got the sense that a big play could break the game at any moment. Also very fun that I was happy for either team to win, so I got to just sit back and enjoy some excellent football.

The halftime show though... what the actual...

Beyonce started the "I will shove my crotch at the camera" in the superbowl halftime show a few years back and my boy did those two run with it. Who is this appealing to? They do 10 seconds of each song, so you can't get into any of it, they have TWO performers crammed into a tiny time period, so you can't really enjoy that either. Ugly music, ugly dancing. Probably the best part what Shakira's little belly dance with the rope/snake around her arms.

Halftime shows are usually bad, this one was unusually bad.

I kept expecting a bed to roll out on stage and she gets roped down...but thats just me being me.

Jerome

Halftime shows are like intermissions for bathroom breaks and grabbing a fresh beverage, nothing more.

Not a stellar SB or 'one for the ages', bad QB play from both teams ensured that. Still, it was entertaining and the score was close enough through to keep it interesting. As a Seahawk fan, I couldn't have asked for a better ending than Richard Sherman getting blown up by Sammy Watkins for the game leading TD. Jimmy's 2 INT to one TD performance and his 2.5 Passer rating in the 4th qtr leaves those nagging questions unanswered too.

The 49ers fans crying bloody murder about the Game's officiating today... is like the cigarette after being intimate with you lover.

Last edited:
I'm realizing that the halftime show is just a way to bring in a wider audience. They went Mexican TV with the rump-shaking content of the halftime show, and that seems to be a marketing move. I guess I answered my "who is this for" question.

Now I'll speak up on Super Bowl LIV.

For one thing, let's face it- the 2019 Kansas City Chiefs are not good... they are DAMN good. I hate to admit that considering the epic fail my Houston Texans had at Kansas City during the Divisional games. Any team can face adversity; how many can fight back and win? Kansas City really took control once they hit paydirt twice in the 4th Quarter, closing out like the greats do. The Chiefs deserved to be champions. I even casually picked Kansas City to win as much as I predicted a Chiefs-49ers Super Bowl LIV when it was the Championship Game stage.

All things considered, Kansas City are atop the mountain. Question is... who will try to knock KC atop the NFL mountain next season, or can Kansas City stay on top overlooking all of the opposition? Enjoy your Championship, Kansas City; because all of the other NFL teams will be coming after the Chiefs to achieve the level of success the Chiefs have achieved this season. So get ready, KC!

And... that's the end of the historic 100th season of National Football League football. We went from 32 teams with the same dreams... and then all whittled down to top percentile teams making the playoffs, then all the way down to the two best (or luckiest) teams. Who knows what season 101 of the NFL will bring? This has been a most entertaining and intriguing season. But sadly, this season is over.

I may check back in to offer my thoughts on my Texans this past season. Alternatively, you all can make your own reflections on the 2019 season or talk about whatever NFL team(s) you want to chat about.

I may check back in to offer my thoughts on my Texans this past season. Alternatively, you all can make your own reflections on the 2019 season or talk about whatever NFL team(s) you want to chat about.

It's hard to know how good a team is when they lose in the Playoffs to the team that ultimately wins the Superbowl. The Texans might have been 2nd best for all we know. The Chiefs win over the Texans was more convincing than the 49ers, but teams match up differently against each other.

I think any team that gets trampled in the playoffs by the eventual winner can hold their heads a little higher than otherwise (GB being otherwise).

Just reading about the possible Domino effect coming, let's call it the QB Shuffle. This literally could be the craziest off-season we've witnessed in years. Rivers and the Chargers have made it official now, they are parting ways after 16 seasons. He is moving to Florida.

Whether Tom Brady will be a Patriot or not is anybody's guess. There are rumors of Gisele checking out schools in the TN area too (Brady to the Titans?). And what about Cam Newton? Will he be a Bear next season? Does Rivers replace Jameis Winston as the starting QB for the Buccaneers (since he's moving to FL and likes to stay close to home, this makes sense)? If that happens where does Winston go? And let's not forget Mariotta, though I predict he'll be a backup somewhere. Things are about to get weird....

Brady to the Titans doesn't seem to far fetched, but I can see both LAs, maybe San Fran as well, try to court him, and I'd weigh one last run with the Pats before retirement as my pick. As for the rest, I think Mariotta is done, but if Tannehill was anything to go by, a change in scenery and philosophy can do wonders...but I don't see anywhere better open. Pittsburgh maybe? Perhaps Carolina either as backup or replacement to Cam?

If Cam isn't legit 100% by training camp, he needs to hang it up. If he is, maybe he can get a refresh with the new staff, or traded to a team he might be an upgrade to, like Chicago.

Rivers to Jacksonville seems more like it, I don't think Arians will want a big name to fight with Winston, or there's a trade sending Jameis to either other Florida team to clear the spot. At this point, anyone signing with Miami is doing so for the money, and with how bad the team entirely was any old QB is asking for a concussion vacation.

I think the Chargers post could be one with a few actively interested, if Brees doesn't retire. Teddy Bridgewater showed he can still play, Taysom Hill's name keeps coming up constantly like he's the next big thing, they'll probably try for Brady, and maybe they even try to lure our Eli or Andrew Luck, I'd put very little past Dean Spanos and Co.

All that said, the NFL's QB roster is about to turn over, I think. The old guard is looking as such, sure they can still go but they all look less so than in the past. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Rivers all have hit walls of late and fallen off to varying degrees, some like Eli have already left entirely, and even some of the younger guys drafted to oppose them are there as well like Cam, Marcus, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, et cetera have already reached the cliff face or flown off it. If I'm honest, within the next 2-3 seasons I think anyone currently having 7+ years pro will be starting, save for Russell Wilson.

I've been way wrong before, but I can see it happening. Just like I can see Jerry Jones having already sewn the seeds for Dak Prescott's departure ASAP from Dallas. Someone's gonna pay him regardless, and I can see him going somewhere the staff wants him to be there unquestioned and at a small discount...maybe the Chargers?

The Titans have a decision to make at QB and RB as both Tannehill and Derrick Henry are free agents. Attempt to sign both at a reduced number? Give one or the other a mega deal because you probably can't give both of them that kind of money? If so which one do you choose? Let both go?

I'm just afraid that once Derrick Henry gets that big money his production is going to drop way off.

The Titans have a decision to make at QB and RB as both Tannehill and Derrick Henry are free agents. Attempt to sign both at a reduced number? Give one or the other a mega deal because you probably can't give both of them that kind of money? If so which one do you choose? Let both go?

I'm just afraid that once Derrick Henry gets that big money his production is going to drop way off.

I'd let Tannehill go before Derrick Henry, you do everything you can to keep a RB like that and then you make a play for Brady.

As semi-promised, I decided to look back on my Houston Texans in the 2019 season. Here's my summary.

I mostly thought the Texans were going to be a hot mess that wouldn't amount much to anything. The season began with a "walk-off" field goal kick loss at the New Orleans Saints after the Texans quickly scored late. The season continued with wins against Jacksonville and at the Los Angeles Chargers. We then lost at home disappointingly to Carolina. We smashed Atlanta followed by an improbable win at Kansas City. The Texans' House of Horrors bit the Texans in the backside again when they lost (again) at Indianapolis. The Texans would return home to take down the (then) Oakland Raiders. For the first time in franchise history, we played in London against the Jacksonville Jaguars. That was a fun game and a fun experience! Texans ended up winning that one. Then comes the Bye week.

What proved to be a potentially brutal start of the 2019 season for the Houston Texans would give way to several other key matches later in the season. Not only did we fail in Baltimore, we failed BAD- 41-7. The Texans then handled Indianapolis at home followed by an improbable (at least to me) win against New England on Sunday Night Football. The three-game home stand ended with a defeat to the Denver Broncos. Or in the words of Homer Simpson... "the DENVER BRONCOS!?" We finally faced our rival Tennessee Titans on December 15, 2019 and won at Tennessee. The Texans took down Tampa Bay the following week in Tampa Bay. The regular season ended in a loss hosting Tennessee. It also ended as the Houston Texans winning the AFC South.

Now comes the Postseason. We were able to down the samurai8juice's Buffalo Bills in Overtime making a wild comeback. Then came the Texans returning to Kansas City trying to do what they did earlier in the season- beat KC in KC. The Texans beat Kansas City... in the first quarter. Since? Play dead and don't do jack 🤬 since. I take nothing away from Kansas City, but this is the team that came back on you, won big, advanced in the Playoffs... and eventually became league champions. I didn't think Houston was going to beat Kansas City again. However, I didn't think they'd fall apart the way they did.

For a team that was so much of a mess management wise, I was actually pleasantly surprised at what the 2019 Houston Texans were able to perform. DeShaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins have proven to become top-level talent. These guys just need to play more consistently good to really become one of the best teams in the league. Offense and defense need to play winning football on a more consistent basis. Many people wanted Bill O'Brien fired as coach (myself included) after their epic fail in the Playoffs at Kansas City. Now, he's both head coach and general manager of the Texans. So if you don't like him... too damn bad, apparently. I just hope for a brighter, more promising future for the Houston Texans. Watson and Hopkins surely will make that happen.

And that's my long-awaited look back at my Texans in 2019. You can provide your own lookback if you like.

Replace "Lion" with "Bengal" and I'll leave it at that for my team. We have the 1st first pick, so there's something.

With the first pick of the 2020 NFL Draft, The Cincinnati Bengals pick Joe Burrow

As for the Lions, as an outsider, I never understood how the emphasis on the Run game could go missing for so many years. Stafford is a good QB, but he can only win you so many without being able to chew the clock with a ground and pound run game. I would like to see the Lions sign a good Free Agent running back this year.

Back