2019 Peugeot 508: The Lion's New Flagship Sedan

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 31 comments

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
The current Peugeot 508 is getting pretty long-in-the-tooth, so the second-generation mid-size sedan is set to be unveiled at Geneva this year. It will feature all new styling, and supposedly it'll be heavily based off of the Peugeot Instinct concept from 2017, therefore it may have a coupe-like roofline. The new 508 will adopt semi-autonomous driving techniques,s similar to those present in Mercedes and Audi models. Expect a wagon and electric version of the 508 as well.

Peugeot says that the upcoming 508's design language will be used in other future Peugeots, sparking a "new era" for the marque.

Spied 2019 508:

2017 Instinct concept:

Peugeot%2BInstinct%2BConcept%2B-6.jpg

Peugeot%2BInstinct%2BConcept%2B-5.jpg

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/first-look-new-peugeot-508/
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/peugeot-508-debut-geneva-new-design-tech/

That's a very nice and rather upmarket looking back end on the 508, but I'm more interested in how that design language will be utilised on the next-generation 208.

Looks more like a natural evolution of the 406 than the two models that followed which is a good thing. Sharp up front and a rear that harks back to the 405/6 with its black rear panel and angular boot lip. Now to see how striking (or less so) it looks in non-GT trim.

With how few of the current 508 they've shifted in the UK, I half expected Peugeot to follow Renault and pull their flagship saloon from the UK/RHD market before the release of a new generation. Maybe being conspicuous without going full-407 will tempt a few more people here to choose this over an Insignia or other German offerings.

Last edited:
I think Peugeot used to sell cars here in the United States. If they were to return to the US market much like Alfa Romeo has tried to do, then I would surely welcome Peugeot models such as this impossibly handsome 508. This thing is very well styled.

They’re making some of the most fascinating interiors right now. I just don’t feel like the exterior gels as well with those proportions.

From the video, the rear 3/4 view is superb, but the profile and especially the front 3/4 view lets it down.

Looks fantastic! The interior looks even better then the outside. I used to drive the flagship 508 RXH. It also looked great. But after the first 10k km I realized the build quality was so so. Almost everything began to squeak or have a cracking sound. The switches and gear lever all felt light and cheap. Buttons were mushy etc. Significant difference from the Volvo I drove before and merc I drive now. Hopefully they improved in the quality and finish.

Looks fantastic! The interior looks even better then the outside. I used to drive the flagship 508 RXH. It also looked great. But after the first 10k km I realized the build quality was so so. Almost everything began to squeak or have a cracking sound. The switches and gear lever all felt light and cheap. Buttons were mushy etc. Significant difference from the Volvo I drove before and merc I drive now. Hopefully they improved in the quality and finish.
But on the other hand, the 508 had all of the instrument panel in Gill Sans MT.

Apart from the very retro numbers on the nose, it's as generic and blah as a fleet machine can be.

The rear looks nice but I'm not a huge fan of the angular front bumper.

Apart from the very retro numbers on the nose, it's as generic and blah as a fleet machine can be.

I see too many lines and angles for this to be "generic".

I see something that can easily be mistaken for a VAG product.

Generic sedan would suggest a minimum effort sedan. Peugeot clearly put some thoughts and twists into this design despite some resemblances to its competitors.

Last edited:
I see something that can easily be mistaken for a VAG product.
Most of today's cars can be easily mistaken for a VAG product. I don't see any resemblance though. The new Giulia - from which we expected far more, being an Italian car and all that - shares far more in common with a German product than the 508.

Back