2019 Porsche 911 (992)

Weird. I like it.

Reminds me of the 1984 SC/RS, though that car was a homologation special and some left the factory in road spec but basically ready to rally. But I doubt anyone buying the 911 Dakar will do anything close to rally.

52506787594_54202b1953_b.jpg

52507067848_d118109814_b.jpg

Should be a permanent trim level. People that live around road roads and inclement weather, that don't want to buy another SUV, could be a good option.

I guess one could save money and buy an old Impreza 2.5RS Coupe, but if your accountant insists you spend that 100k, might as well put the order in.

Should be a permanent trim level. People that live around road roads and inclement weather, that don't want to buy another SUV, could be a good option.

I guess one could save money and buy an old Impreza 2.5RS Coupe, but if your accountant insists you spend that 100k, might as well put the order in.
100k? This thing starts at 222.000 €

Weird. I like it.

Reminds me of the 1984 SC/RS, though that car was a homologation special and some left the factory in road spec but basically ready to rally. But I doubt anyone buying the 911 Dakar will do anything close to rally.

52506787594_54202b1953_b.jpg
I didn't even know this model existed until recently when ROFGO Hamilton advertised having 1 of 6 Works examples in their hands & noted Porsche built 20 of them altogether.

Makes this 992 actually have a bit of historical linkage in Porsche's history. Still not sure of why Lamborghini has gone down this weird road, though.

I didn't even know this model existed until recently when ROFGO Hamilton advertised having 1 of 6 Works examples in their hands & noted Porsche built 20 of them altogether.

Makes this 992 actually have a bit of historical linkage in Porsche's history. Still not sure of why Lamborghini has gone down this weird road, though.
It's a pretty obscure car, but it pops up from time to time in rally videogames, that's how I learned it existed. I saw one at Lime Rock Park last year as part of a display of one of the world's only complete 911 RS collections. As you can imagine, those seeking to collect all RS models will have a hard time trying to get one of the 20 cars, especially if you want one that has never been converted to full rally spec. Porsche does, however, have the 21st car which is a perfectly clean road example maybe they will sell off. :lol:

Course the SC/RS was not used in the Dakar rallies and it was RWD. Porsche has been promoting this 992 Dakar in photos alongside the Porsche 953. Had the 953 required production of homologation road cars, we'd probably have seen a more close historical link to the 992 Dakar.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does it look like they've moved the taillight bar to the actual rear of the car rather than on top of it?

Maybe? Maybe they've moved it slightly down and rearward but it's hard to tell, not more than an inch or two if they did. Thusfar the 992's light bar looks like it is mounted above the peak of the rear wheel, far forward of the rear bumper, and up at an angle. This has always been by far the worst part of the car's design.

rp_-_porsche_992_911_carrera_4s-3.jpg

This illustration is a bit corny but it gets to the point I'm trying to make. Classic 911s always had low-slung rear taillights. That's just the way it's supposed to be.

porsche-911-redesign.jpg

430703.jpg

To me, I think it's roughly in the same location. It seems like there are now two bars rather than one that both go the full width of the car. The Porsche logo also appears to be lit up

Rumor says the top of the line 992 will be a GT2 RS Hybrid making more than 700 bhp

Due in 2026, the top-of-the-line, limited-run Porsche 911, which is expected to cost upwards of £250,000, is being engineered with a newly developed hybrid drivetrain that will target “more than 700bhp”.

This will be achieved using tech originally developed by Porsche Motorsport for the Le Mans 24 Hours-winning 919 Hybrid and further developed for its successor, the recently unveiled 963 LMDh racer.

The new petrol-electric drivetrain is envisaged to be launched in the Porsche 911 GT2 RS before being offered in other, less extreme 911 models by the end of the decade.

Contrary to earlier speculation that the 911 would get a plug-in hybrid system similar to that in the Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Panamera, Autocar can confirm that Porsche’s new 911 drivetrain is based around a mild-hybrid system, with an electric motor boosting the internal combustion engine.

The system is described as being “even more advanced” than what has been created for the new LMDh car: a 630bhp turbocharged 4.6-litre V8 petrol engine supported by a 67bhp Bosch electric motor that’s activated above 80mph.

The Porsche 911 Turbo acts as the basis for the new GT2 RS, with its twin-turbocharged 3.8-litre flat six engine being supplemented by a battery like that used by the 919 Hybrid.

How the production car will be set up underneath hasn’t yet been detailed. However, 911 Turbo prototypes fitted with the new mild-hybrid drivetrain have received a gearbox-mounted electric motor and air-cooled lithium ion battery positioned low down behind the front seats. The production car will have the battery behind the rear seats for a 39:61 weight balance.

The production battery will, without direct charging, also rely on energy recuperation for storage. Together with a multi-stage brake energy recuperation system, Porsche is said to be developing a variable-geometry turbine within the exhaust tract to allow it to generate electric energy under acceleration – a Porsche Motorsport system used by the 919 Hybrid.

Unlike the 800V electric drivetrain being developed for the upcoming fourth-generation Porsche Boxster/Porsche Cayman, the 911’s drivetrain operates via a 400V system in the interests of weight and compactness, say Autocar sources, who add that the new drivetrain will deliver “significantly more power” than the previous 690bhp GT2 RS.

A target of “more than 700bhp” will be accompanied by a “significant increase in torque”, say insiders.

Whether Porsche holds firm to a traditional manual gearbox rests with its ability to handle the added torque delivered by the electric motor, which is said to total more than 184lb ft.

To offset the weight of the electric motor and battery, Porsche is developing the new 911 GT2 RS Hybrid with a lightweight body with measures similar to the Weissach Package offered by its predecessor and the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS. Porsche is said to be aiming at a weight gain of no more than 100kg.

Possible GT2 RS mule spotted with a turbo engine and new exhuasts

porsche-911-gt2-rs-test-mule-spy-photo.jpg

Although we sadly can't hear images, we're being told the test vehicle sounded like it was turbocharged as opposed to the naturally aspirated flat-six powering the most hardcore 992-gen sports car to date. In fact, those side air intakes seem modified, presumably to accommodate the intercoolers.

Another change is noticeable at the rear where the dual exhaust tips sticking out from the apron are fake. The real ones are positioned to the left and right, between the gap that separates the diffuser from the bumper. Bear in mind the 911 GT2 RS is unlikely to debut until near the end of 2025, so what we're probably dealing with here is an early test mule.

Last edited:
Porsche's money printing machine continues to print money

Porsche 911 S/T, essentially a GT3 RS with a Touring package and a manual

1690939295253.png

1690939321745.png

1690939583081.png

1690939589996.png

1690939621931.png

1690939631746.png

The 2024 Porsche 911 S/T debuts combining elements from the GT3 Touring and GT3 RS to create a lightweight, road-focused model that harkens back to the 1969 911 S. Porsche is making just 1,963 examples of them, and prices in the United States start at $291,650 after the $1,650 destination charge. The public debut will be at the Rennsport Reunion 7 that will start on September 28, and deliveries will begin in spring 2024.

The 911 S/T weighs 3,056 pounds giving it the lowest weight of any 992-generation 911. It tips the scales at 70 pounds less than a 911 GT3 Touring with a manual gearbox.

Power comes from the 4.0-liter flat-six engine making 518 horsepower from the GT3 RS. The only gearbox is a close-ratio six-speed manual. Porsche fits a unique lightweight clutch and single-mass flywheel that reduces the rotating mass by 23 pounds. The automaker claims the car: "now builds revs with especially bracing speed and directness."

The 911 S/T accelerates to 60 miles per hour in 3.5 seconds versus 3.2 seconds to 62 mph for a GT3 RS. The top speed is 186 mph.

The 911 Dakar has just went round the Nordschleife not entirely on the track. Massive cuts at Adenaur Forst, cuts out the Karussel completely, and has a cut at the last chicane.

The part where he went through the forest felt like a cheat code in a PS2 racing game. :lol:

And a pretty good one at that

shortcut.png

Last edited:
Porsche 911 GT3 R rennsport

For example, beneath that larger-than-life rear wing (which requires extra support braces to handle the downforce it creates) is a naturally aspirated 4.2-liter flat-six engine. It's borrowed from the GT3 race car, but this isn't built to GT3-class specifications so it makes 611 horsepower. The engine is tuned to run E25 fuel and gets bespoke pistons and camshafts. The compression ratio is higher, and we can only imagine what it sounds like spinning to 9,400 RPM.

The body is arguably the big story here. Porsche says only the hood and roof are shared with the GT3 R. The face draws inspiration from the racer, but it's a radical interpretation of the text with the reshaped vents, panels, and fins. Moving further back you'll see no side mirrors – instead, there are cameras that feed displays in the rennsport's special cockpit. We've already talked about the rear wing, which is clearly reminiscent of the iconic 935/77. In fact, Porsche sees the 911 GT3R rennsport as a modern-day 935 successor.

"Porsche has been shaped by its rich history," said Thorsten Klein, Style Porsche project manager for the GT3 R rennsport. "This is especially true in racing. This has subsequently inspired us, of course, but by no means did we want to produce a copy or an obvious retro paint job. The three options we selected are new interpretations."

Buyers will have to act fast and spend large to put one of these special 911s in their garage. Porsche is only building 77 GT3 R rennsports, and prices start at $1,046,000.

1695955658529.png

1695955763184.png

1695955778793.png

1695955797356.png

Last edited:
Some new photos from last night by Porsche

1696015995784.png

1696015902057.png

1696015924342.png

1696015933249.png

1696016120741.png

1696016129492.png

1696016133622.png

So all that fuss about the swan neck wing on the RS and then we get an even more extreme 911 that reverts back to a 993 GT2-esque wrap around wing?

I think it's a more aesthetic design than a functional design. Swan necks are scientifically more efficient than standard wings. I think the goal of this was to replicate the style of the 935

1696029519549.png

From their press release

As a thoroughbred racing car, the form of the 911 GT3 R rennsport continues to follow function – but it does that in an extremely emotional and attractive way.

[...]

This extraordinary sports car was designed by Grant Larson and Thorsten Klein from the Style Porsche team. "The 911 GT3 R rennsport will take its place as the logical successor to the modern Porsche 935. While the 935 was technically based on the near-standard 911 GT2 RS Clubsport, the 911 GT3 R rennsport uses the current 911 GT3 R of the 992 generation as its basis. Beneath the extensively redesigned carbon skin is a thoroughbred racing car," Larson emphasises.

[...]

The huge rear wing is the dominant component facing the airflow. Its design is reminiscent of that of the legendary Brumos Porsche 935/77, with which the American Peter Gregg, together with the Dutchman Toine Hezemans and the German Rolf Stommelen, took the seventh overall victory for a Porsche at the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1978.

The bold interpretation at the rear end develops a visual impact that is also reflected in the downforce numbers: to ensure that the load on the horizontal elements remains within the limits defined in the standard, they have been provided with two additional vertical supports.

992.2 with no camo

1698561638471.png

1698561647121.png

1698561657006.png

What you see here is a prototype of what appears to be the 911 GTS judging by that wing at the back and the lack of center-locking wheels and side air intakes at the back. More importantly, this trial vehicle has barely any camouflage giving us a very good look at the design changes expected with the facelift.

[...]

As opposed to a GTS prototype from about a month ago (see the related links below), this test car doesn't have a yellow sticker on the rear window. This means it is not a hybrid and based on a recent interview with Frank Moser, Vice President of Model Lines 911 and 718 at Porsche, it seems likely that the 911 GTS 992.2 won’t be electrified. The 911 family is getting some sort of electric support but it won’t arrive until the middle of the decade, which likely means it will be introduced on the hotter derivatives.

I'm very excited for a hybrid 911. It'll probably be similar to the Panamera, so a 911 Turbo S e-Hybrid or perhaps even a GT2 RS e-Hybrid

Back