2019 Porsche 911 (992)

It's carbon but looks like plastic. Looks even worse with the Weissach package when you add the carbon body parts with texture. Don't know that they were thinking

Riviera blue since there isn't Miami blue anymore in the config

992rs-1.jpg
992rs-2.jpg
992rs-3.jpg
992rs-4.jpg

They're all good, but the Hagerty one includes footage of Henry riding shotgun with Jorg Bergmeister doing a couple laps & really showing off the car's performance.

The adjustable settings this thing has is crazy, though.

They're all good, but the Hagerty one includes footage of Henry riding shotgun with Jorg Bergmeister doing a couple laps & really showing off the car's performance.

The adjustable settings this thing has is crazy, though.
On slicks I'm willing to bet it's faster than the Cup car. It looked so planted.

On slicks I'm willing to bet it's faster than the Cup car. It looked so planted.
In the first reveal video from earlier, they had already said it corners faster than a Cup car on slicks
"The contact patch on [the rear wheel] is really remarkable. It shows, because you need a lot of contact patch, a lot of grip, when you can produce so much downforce. And together, you end up at cornering speeds with Cup R-Compound tires on [the GT3 RS] that are beyond that a Cup car on slicks. Full stop."

This car is absolutely insane

Porsche had the Nurburgring all to themselves today and talk is that the RS ran a 6:49.3. But, it was very windy which would definitely effect the car, especially as it was a head wind going down Dottinger Hohe. So I expect them to try again before making it official.

Ring lap onboard

Lap cutting out the straight to T1 was timed at 6:44.8, making it faster than the Aventador SVJ and only just behind the AMG GT Black.

Last edited:
Ring lap onboard

Lap cutting out the straight to T1 was timed at 6:44.8, making it faster than the Aventador SVJ and only just behind the AMG GT Black.

Considering it's probably losing huge time on the straights to those two (down 200hp on the AMG, down 240hp on the SVJ) and has only 4 liters of naturally aspirated displacement...it's kind of incredible. This thing definitely has higher peak cornering Gs than any production car ever. The GT2 RS is going to be truly nuts.

Last edited:
The GT2 RS is going to be truly nuts.
There are quiet loud rumours they won't develop one and only very slim chances for a non RS GT2. Emission regulations, supply chain problems, expensive resources, Ukraine war, now the Porsche AG stock market launch. Wouldn't bet on it like I wouldn't bet anything on a 992.2 GT3 RS facelift.

So fast for a road car in the corners, will be interesting to see how fast a Valkyrie is in comparison given how limiting road legal tyres are. Impressive how hard the drivers push these cars on these kind of laps. Although the kind of racing these cars might end up doing might be mainly in the straights and even with DRS, this car appears to be lacking a bit of top speed but at least it should be stable at them speeds.

When GT3 becomes the standard road car category in 2024 we're in for some really interesting racing and engineering. I actually had no idea that the entire engine layout was different between the Porsche GT3 and GTE. Seems like they've decided against that massive benefit for GT3, or maybe the regulations prevent it.

Can't wait to see the Mustang enter GT3, and I really wish Dodge would create a new Viper for it.

I actually had no idea that the entire engine layout was different between the Porsche GT3 and GTE.
Yeah, I remember there were threads here talking about how crazy it was. Here's one from 2016

According to Wikipedia, they had to get a waiver from the FIA to move the engine, which is probably why they haven't done the same for GT3

Further reports by the German Auto magazine Auto motor und sport appeared to confirm the speculation, after it was revealed that Porsche had received a technical waiver from the FIA to move the engine forwards, and that Porsche had wanted to base its new GTE Class contender on the Porsche 918 Spyder, but it had been found to be too costly.

Last edited:
911 Dakar to be revealed at the LA Auto Show on November 16th

1668015829751.png

1668015810669.png

1668015817131.png

1668015821751.png

1668015962531.png

the development team tested the 911 Dakar around the world under extreme conditions to the tune of more than half a million km, including more than 10,000 km off-road. The Château de Lastours test track in southern France, for example, was used to test the car’s handling on typical rally courses and fine-tune the suspension.

Two-time world rally champion Walter Röhrl naturally couldn’t resist the opportunity to put the 911 Dakar through its paces at the extensive testing grounds in Arjeplog, Sweden. The thick ice of the frozen lakes offers Porsche test drivers the ideal basis for an approximately 90 per cent closed compacted snow surface – a more realistic scenario than pure sheet ice.

The new 911 Dakar also had to prove itself on fast sand tracks and high dunes. In Dubai and Morocco, test drivers mercilessly drove the off-road sports car up steep, 50-metre dunes in temperatures of up to 45 degrees Celsius time and time again.

Development driver Lars Kern was also surprised during the final fine-tuning drives: “At first I didn’t have the nerve to push the car to its limits. But I am very satisfied with the handling on loose surfaces. Even the ABS is optimised for braking on gravel. It’s amazing how much traction the off-road tyres deliver. The car is a blast to drive.”

It is really cool but what's it for? Rally raid? It's obviously not for WRC homologation, I think the car is far too big and I imagine wouldn't fit into WRC 1 regs at all. I know of precisely two people who would buy this immediately, both the 911 Roadtrip guy who camps in his 996 C4S and that Shaefen guy who snow drifts everything he can get his hands on.

It is really cool but what's it for? Rally raid? It's obviously not for WRC homologation, I think the car is far too big and I imagine wouldn't fit into WRC 1 regs at all. I know of precisely two people who would buy this immediately, both the 911 Roadtrip guy who camps in his 996 C4S and that Shaefen guy who snow drifts everything he can get his hands on.
I don't think it will be for anything in motorsport. Just another limited run of their "Porsche Heritage Collection" cars like the 992 units limited Targa 4S and the 1250 units limited 992 Sport Classic

tg.JPG

tg2.JPG
sc.JPG
sc2.JPG

They also showed the Safari concept car ~2 years ago so this will pretty sure be another Heritage Collection limited run car for the wealthy collector

sr.JPG
sr2.JPG

Isn't it more like a modern 959?
I don't think so. The 959 was a technological showcase at the time, a full-blown supercar that was adapted to off-road simply because it had good bones. As far as I can tell there's nothing really special about this Dakar 911, it's basically just a trim level of the 911, like a TRD Pro, with a warrantied lift kit and other goodies. I don't see a reason for it to go down in history, and frankly like the new Huracan thing, unless Porsche actually rallies this thing in WRC or whatever then I don't see a reason for it to exist. Besides a couple influential Instagrammers that I follow, market demand for these vehicles is marginal at best.

It'll sell like hotcakes and I don't make enough money to figure out why.

Last edited:
I don't think so. The 959 was a technological showcase at the time, a full-blown supercar that was adapted to off-road simply because it had good bones. As far as I can tell there's nothing really special about this Dakar 911, it's basically just a trim level of the 911, like a TRD Pro, with a warrantied lift kit and other goodies. I don't see a reason for it to go down in history, and frankly like the new Huracan thing, unless Porsche actually rallies this thing in WRC or whatever then I don't see a reason for it to exist. Besides a couple influential Instagrammers that I follow, market demand for these vehicles is marginal at best.

It'll sell like hotcakes and I don't make enough money to figure out why.
I’m saying 959 as in it has everything a 959 has and more. Not so much being a car that’s entered uncharted territory. I guess the first AWD 911 Turbo could have been that car too. That’s what I’m meaning.

911 Dakar

1668669130759.png

1668669155701.png

1668669143921.png

1668669164912.png

1668669182912.png

1668669196850.png

1668669205730.png

1668669215249.png

The 911 Dakar rides on a recalibrated suspension that lifts the car 2 inches, but a special lift system adds another 1.2 inches when needed. That's an extra 3.2 inches over a standard 911 Carrera, giving the Dakar ground clearance similar to many conventional SUVs. The lift system can be used at speeds up to 105 mph, at which point the 911 Dakar lowers to its standard setting. The top speed is 150 mph.

That's an electronically limited top speed, plugged in to preserve the special Pirelli Scorpion all-terrain tires made specifically for the 911 Dakar. They are 245/45-series 19 inchers in front with 295/40-series 20-inch tires at the back. They're designed for all-terrain, but they're still Z-rated for stiffness and capable on paved surfaces. For drivers seeking something more specialized, summer performance tires or snow tires are optional.

The 911 Dakar is certainly capable of reaching its top speed. It uses a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter flat-six engine making 473 horsepower (353 kilowatts) – the same output found in the 911 GTS. It goes to all four wheels through Porsche's eight-speed PDK gearbox, and with the help of launch control, it can reach 60 mph in 3.2 seconds. Speaking of which, Porsche gives the 911 Dakar two new drive modes – Off-Road and Rallye. As you might imagine, Off-Road is designed for rougher terrain and automatically engages the higher ride height. Rallye is for loose surfaces, sending more power to the rear wheels for faster fun.

The 2023 Porsche 911 Dakar price starts at $223,450 including destination charges. It will arrive at US dealerships in the spring of 2023.

Only 2500 units will be made

This is pretty cool but from what I've read this thing is almost entirely parts bin pieces and they're charging GT3 RS prices for it anyway. The 996 C4 ones where they jacked up the suspension a few inches, put a skid plate under the gas tank and put lights on the normal 996 roof rack (and that's it) seem a lot less hopelessly cynical.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back