2019 (?) Suzuki Jimny - Redesigned model spotted testing

• Thread starter lbpomg95
  • 74 comments
England
A field in England
I just realised this thread should be in the Auto News section - my mistake. Any mods reading this feel free to move it.

Not sure if this thread should go here or not - I did look to see if anyone else had made one.

I've always loved the Suzuki Jimny, so when Suzuki announced they were changing it after 2018 I was a little worried. After those DC100 Land Rover Defender prototypes I wondered if Suzuki might take away the retro styling of the Jimny as well. However, I'm not worried about that anymore!

This article on Motortrend shows the testing mule in its camouflage and it still looks very retro and utilitarian.

img_8963.jpg

The old Jimny had a wheezy 1.3 litre inline-4 petrol engine, making about 83BHP. But what made it so good off-road was its low kerb weight and small size. Barely weighing over a tonne (about 1090kg if I remember correctly) meant it could skip over some obstacles bigger off-roaders would get stuck in. Hopefully this one will keep that low weight.

As for engines, in the European market Suzuki doesn't offer many.

The 1.2 dualjet 4-cylinder in the Ignis and Swift with 92BHP - probably the most likely engine to be used.
The 1.0 boosterjet 3-cylinder with about 110BHP
The 1.4 boosterjet 4-cylinder with 140BHP
The 1.6 N/A 4-cylinder in the current Vitara with 116BHP

It's unlikely they'll use the Fiat 1.6 Diesel or a newly built engine but you never know.

Either way I'm pretty excited about this based on how it looks! I've driven a few older Jimnys and they're great fun (albeit for the wrong reasons)! What do you guys think?

EDIT: Some leaked photos have been found from a Suzuki presentation.

suzuki-jimny-001.jpg

suzuki-jimny-002.jpg

suzuki-jimny-003.jpg

suzuki-jimny-005.jpg

suzuki-jimny-004.jpg

Clearly the interior is a little more upmarket than the current generation (not that it would take much) and more colours and personalisation options are likely to be offered.

Based on the leaked images, it looks as if the car is a base model, going by the steel wheels and plastic trim. Not that it's anything to go by, but the test mule has LED rear lights where the leaked image shows basic plastic box-units. If the current generation is anything to go by, the higher-spec models will likely have LED lights, alloy wheels, leather seats and painted exterior trim, among other things.

Last edited:
With the Swift coming down to about 880kg, maybe this will be close to that.
I have my doubts because it's not on the same lightweight high-strength steel chassis as the Ignis, Swift and Baleno. It'll run a similar body-on-chassis design as the old Jimny, but will need a lot more safety equipment to satisfy current regulations, as well as updating the interior. I'm sure it'll end up similar to the old one, but I'd be really surprised if it came in at under a tonne.

This car actually makes agricultural motoring look hip and trendy. Could be a decent seller in urban areas too if weight is reduced by about 10% and it's equipped with modern power units.

I have my doubts because it's not on the same lightweight high-strength steel chassis as the Ignis, Swift and Baleno. It'll run a similar body-on-chassis design as the old Jimny, but will need a lot more safety equipment to satisfy current regulations, as well as updating the interior. I'm sure it'll end up similar to the old one, but I'd be really surprised if it came in at under a tonne.
Weight for the current 5-speed Jimny, is about 1045kg.
The Jimny may have side and curtain airbags. So, add to that, the infotainment, (Swift)climate controls, flares and bigger glass, it could weigh the same or more. However, even with the ladder on frame construction, I feel Suzuki will be clever and shave weight off the Jimny. I agree 160kgs is a stretch but under 1000kg(the new top of the line Swift turbo, still comes in at 915kg) could be possible.

Retro done right. While Land Rover is farting about wondering how on earth to replace the Defender, Suzuki will be churning out these...
...which will probably handle the rough stuff just as well as Land Rover's future barge. Just like the current Jimny does.

Yup. People aren't beyond making them even better for off-roading too (though the ability to slot down narrow paths might be compromised in this one)...

905c4e8742eab2eea2794a3f1f6a6a74--mini-x-jimny-suzuki.jpg

Just feels like Suzuki is keeping its priorities where they should be with this new Jimny. Whereas JLR really is in a flap about what the next Defender should be, they should have just built one more or less the same as the current car but with more modern technology, safety features etc - the people that continued to buy defenders when they were otherwise hugely out of date - the military, farmers, proper off-roading types - wanted one for the very specific requirements of that particular car. The brand has a load of other SUVs they can offer to people who want leather and infotainment so why compromise the Defender with too much lifestyle garb?

The Jimny is just Japan's equivalent, and it looks like they've wisely kept it more or less the same as the current car - just with presumably more powerful and efficient engines and a nicer cabin, and an extra helping of retro with the styling.

Suzuki's on a roll at the moment. The new Swift is brilliant, the Ignis is a great city car, and they seem to have some pretty funky kei cars in their Japanese lineup too. Throw in a new Cappuccino and they'd be set...

Yup. People aren't beyond making them even better for off-roading too (though the ability to slot down narrow paths might be compromised in this one)...

Just feels like Suzuki is keeping its priorities where they should be with this new Jimny. Whereas JLR really is in a flap about what the next Defender should be, they should have just built one more or less the same as the current car but with more modern technology, safety features etc - the people that continued to buy defenders when they were otherwise hugely out of date - the military, farmers, proper off-roading types - wanted one for the very specific requirements of that particular car. The brand has a load of other SUVs they can offer to people who want leather and infotainment so why compromise the Defender with too much lifestyle garb?

The Jimny is just Japan's equivalent, and it looks like they've wisely kept it more or less the same as the current car - just with presumably more powerful and efficient engines and a nicer cabin, and an extra helping of retro with the styling.

Suzuki's on a roll at the moment. The new Swift is brilliant, the Ignis is a great city car, and they seem to have some pretty funky kei cars in their Japanese lineup too. Throw in a new Cappuccino and they'd be set...
I'd love to see a Cappuccino...

The Swift has been a great little car since the 2005 model came about. Even the Vitara is a good car, even if it's not the off-roader it once was.

But yeah JLR mentioned the new Defender will be more luxurious than the old one. Priorities don't seem right there...

Makes me wish Suzuki didn't leave North America.... :(

I bet Samurai enthusiasts would be ecstatic to see that. I'd love a cheap compact 4x4 that isn't a crossover.

The brand has a load of other SUVs they can offer to people who want leather and infotainment so why compromise the Defender with too much lifestyle garb?

How they lose their way with the new Discovery*, you can bet a new Defender will be an equal step in another direction.

This Jimny - with a three cylinder turbo and steel wheels.. Yes please!!!

* Not from a driving point of view, but from a what the car reflects point of view

How they lose their way with the new Discovery*, you can bet a new Defender will be an equal step in another direction.

* Not from a driving point of view, but from a what the car reflects point of view
Probably more likely to have the 1.2 dualjet (still a cracking little engine).

But imagine if it had the 1.4 turbo from the Vitara S or the upcoming Swift Sport? That'd be friggin' awesome...

Three cylinder turbo is the answer.. Always :cool::cool:
I've driven a few, and the reliability of Ford's ecoboost is a little bit questionable, and I'm not entirely convinced. I love the sound of 3-cylinder cars, and the Kei-cars are great, but I'm not too trusting of the 1 litre units everyone's doing all of a sudden.

Frankly I'd take the old whizzy 1.6 from the old Swift Sport if I had any choice :P

I think the latest Discovery is one of Land Rover's lesser ills - while the styling is a bit grim at the moment it'll make a fantastic family wagon for people and I'm guessing it still does all the off-road stuff better than most too. It's also dropped about half a ton in weight which I'm all for!
Probably more likely to have the 1.2 dualjet (still a cracking little engine).

But imagine if it had the 1.4 turbo from the Vitara S or the upcoming Swift Sport? That'd be friggin' awesome...
I expect the Boosterjet 1.0 will probably feature - it's too good an engine not to drop in everything they can.

The 1.4 Boosterjet would be a little too much engine for something this small. In terms of performance and possibly size - if this is anything like the last Jimny, the basic body will also be used for the kei-car version (basically, remove those wide arches and it'll probably be narrow enough to be a kei).
I've driven a few, and the reliability of Ford's ecoboost is a little bit questionable, and I'm not entirely convinced. I love the sound of 3-cylinder cars, and the Kei-cars are great, but I'm not too trusting of the 1 litre units everyone's doing all of a sudden.
They can be hit and miss, but for smaller cars I'd err more on the side of hit. VW, Ford, Vauxhall and Suzuki's 1-litre turbo triples are all excellent engines, and Suzuki's is probably my favourite of those.

They're in appropriately-sized cars too, so I don't think the usual "downsizing" worries apply quite as much here. An Ecoboost 1.0 in a Mondeo is probably stretching things too far, but the same engine in a Fiesta - even if it's making the lowest ~100hp output - feels more than enough and shouldn't be over-stressed either. The Boosterjet-engined Swift I drove recently didn't take much throttle at all to get going at a decent pace.

I expect the Boosterjet 1.0 will probably feature - it's too good an engine not to drop in everything they can.
They didn't put the boosterjet 1.0 in the Ignis to keep its price low. Considering the Jimny's target, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case.

They didn't put the boosterjet 1.0 in the Ignis to keep its price low. Considering the Jimny's target, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case.
Good point - though the Jimny is already a more expensive car (£13k at its low limit compared to £10.5k for the Ignis) so consumers would presumably be prepared to pay a little more regardless.

Interestingly, a Boosterjet Swift is also £13k right now.

Good lord, as much as I love the M16A, it really wouldn't be much use in a Jimny!

Back