• 525 comments

Dennisch

Humongous member
Premium
Netherlands
Hilversum
Dennisch

image.jpg

Next year’s 21-race Formula 1 calendar, along with a handful of 2019 rule changes, have been signed off by F1’s governing body, the FIA, following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) on Friday.

For the third time in history, the world championship will be contested over a record 21 Grands Prix, equalling the total held in 2016 and 2018. Eleven of the 21 will take place in Europe, five in Asia, four in the Americas and one in Australia.

The 2019 season will begin on March 17th in Australia and finish on December 1 in Abu Dhabi. In between those – in China on April 14th – Formula 1 will celebrate the 1000th Grand Prix race on the calender since its inception in 1950.

March 17 Melbourne Australia

March 31 Sakhir Bahrain

April 14 Shanghai China

April 28 Baku Azerbaijan

May 12 Barcelona Spain

May 26 Monaco Monaco

June 9 Montreal Canada

June 23 Le Castellet France

June 30 Spielberg Austria

July 14 Silverstone Great Britain

July 28 Hockenheim Germany

August 4 Budapest Hungary

September 1 Spa-Francorchamps Belgium

September 8 Monza Italy

September 22 Singapore Singapore

September 29 Sochi Russia

October 13 Suzuka Japan

October 27 Mexico City Mexico

November 3 Austin USA*

November 17 Sao Paolo Brazil

December 1 Yas Marina Abu Dhabi

*Austin has some formalities to solve, according to the FIA.​

Last edited:
A Formula One season ending in December. Wow.

Back in the day it used to start in January.

Having tried, the best answer to haters with this is "Design a better layout in Hanoi". There literally isn't any, it's not a great city for street circuits.

Everyone said Baku would be a bad layout, it's generally provided some of the best racing in the last few years.

Here is the layout for the 2020 Vietnamese GP
formula-1-vietnamese-gp-announ-2.jpg

Unpopular opinion, but I think this layout looks great. They've taken cues from Baku and realised that a massive long straight works. I just hope it looks good on TV and is well supported by spectators.

I'm kind of mixed on it to be honest.
I like turn 1 and think it could provide some real fun, all of that kind of gets undone by the straight right after it... and then the even longer back straight. The biggest issue here I think will be the climate and the levels of grip

Looks alright to me. A Baku like straight, Russia's T3 and some curves a bit like Maggots/Becketts.

I've always liked tracks with a long straight and that have actual curves with a different radius to each other, rather than the same sharp right angles we so often get.

I think it looks interesting. Quite a lot of variety for a street circut, especially with the esses which you don‘t often find in a street layout. There‘s a bit of everything in fact.

And this is coming from a street circuit hater.

I really like the look of that Vietnam circuit. Those roundabout looking complexes are kind of unique looking (a little bit like China T13?), the long straights should hopefully provide good overtaking, and the eases are cool for a street circuit too. Hopefully it turns out well.

Here is the layout for the 2020 Vietnamese GP
formula-1-vietnamese-gp-announ-2.jpg

Unpopular opinion, but I think this layout looks great. They've taken cues from Baku and realised that a massive long straight works. I just hope it looks good on TV and is well supported by spectators.

That run from turn 9 to 11 is about as straight as the River Nile.

Liberty had said very early on that they wanted more street circuits since they're more accessible to fans, and if they can't get people on board with expanding the schedule then it's not too surprising that they'd start taking a hard look at their existing deals with current venues.

I doubt we'll be seeing Silverstone or Monaco going away soon, but I can think of a couple other tracks that might be in danger of being dropped if Liberty is serious about mixing things up in the near future.

Liberty had said very early on that they wanted more street circuits since they're more accessible to fans.

That's fine but this isn't CART.

An overload of street circuits is very Champ Car to me.

That's fine but this isn't CART.
This also isn't a time where track owners are tripping over each other and throwing giant piles of money around to host an F1 race. Getting a city government to set up a temporary street circuit is a lot quicker and cheaper than convincing track owners to pay to upgrade their facilities to accommodate a single race, or finding another morally dubious country that wants to dispose of a obscene amount of cash to build another track in the back end of nowhere. Though to be honest, I suspect the whole push for street circuits is really more to try and get away from said morally dubious countries and their PR headaches than any sort of fan engagement initiative.

Let's neuter great tracks by turning them into parking lots! Yeah Safety!

Let's go to the cities with minimal runoff! Who needs safety!
The pendulum does swing quite far in both directions, unfortunately. It's only a problem when someone gets injured or killed, and then the solutions usually just shunt the danger to another area that hasn't been noticed yet.

Monza talking about a revamp and yet another reconfiguration (what ever happened to the proposed changes to the first chicane and Curva Grande?)

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monza-track-remove-chicane-2022/4313019/

Everything the article says sounds good, I find the bit about restoring the banking pretty awesome if they do it.

However, it’s estimated at 100mil euros, and they plan on getting funding from local and federal governments, which lowers the likelyhood of this actually happening, at least in my opinion.

Are there any other Formula 1-ready tracks in Germany other than Hockenheim and Nurburgring? I'd love a race at Oschersleben or something.

Are there any other Formula 1-ready tracks in Germany other than Hockenheim and Nurburgring? I'd love a race at Oschersleben or something.
Not really no. None of the other tracks are suitable, and none would give racing as good as Hockenheim or the Nurburgring anyway. You just need to watch a normal DTM race at the other circuits like Oscher or Lausitz to see how boring they can be.

COTA using the state’s Major Events funding program has been a hot button issue since the US GP returned. If you look into it, COTA is gaming the system and abusing a fund that is supposed to be for one time sporting events, and the “estimates” that they’ve been using to justify the money they’re getting from the state have been questionable (when I looked a few years ago, the numbers they were using was based on the average out of state visitor spending nearly $5000 on food and hospitality over the weekend).

Also, some of the people involved, such as Billy Joe “Red” McCombs, the Texas billionaire former owner of the San Antonia Spurs, founder of what used to be called Clear Channal Comminications, are cut from the exact same cloth as Bernie.

Back