Formula 1 2020 Formula 1 Calendar thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Dennisch, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

I don't know if Macau is a good idea for anything wider than a bicycle, for what it's worth......

2. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

Touring cars can hit the walls and not lose a wheel or wing so they're always gonna race harder, not that most touring cars would care if they lost a wheel or wing anyway..

3. Roo

Roo Premium

4. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Sigh, no. All those 3 factors contribute and so does width. No matter how stable the car is you can't overtake if there's no space to pull alongside.

Brakes being too good is another factor (less ability to brake later). Paddle shifts are another - I listened to a podcast with one of the older drivers and they say a big proportion of overtakes in the old days are when the driver ahead makes a misshift.

5. Frank McGank

Frank McGank

Even the narrowest track averages 10 metres in width. I’ll admit maths aren’t my strong suit, but I’m fairly certain 2 metres plus 2 metres is less than 10 metres. Reckon there’s plenty of space to get along-side. Width is the least important factor when it comes to overtaking ability, and the people focusing on it I can guarantee have only been watching F1 for a decade or less and are thus only familiar with the 1.8m cars of 1998-2016. The main issue is as I stated: aero making it difficult to follow closely, weight/length making it difficult to be aggressive and take different lines, and brakes making it harder to be brave under braking.

6. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

It doesn't work like that. Physically there is space to fit 2 cars if they're parked, but under racing conditions you need more than just 2x2m for side by side racing. This isn't scalextrix where the cars run on fixed lines. It's possible to make your car "wider" than it physically is if you take good defending lines. Just watch Senna v Mansell Monaco 1992. Just like a wider track makes overtaking easier, so does a narrower car. Although I agree it's not the most important factor because there is a limit to how narrow you can make the car, for obvious reasons.

7. Frank McGank

Frank McGank

51944151-872A-4DB9-9ECC-432C81BD4E51.jpeg
    Narrowest part of the narrowest circuit, two 2017-now cars side by side and they take up less than half the road. Look at Verstappen at Monaco in 2018, was able to slice through half the field and challenged a Mercedes for track position.
    The reason the Senna Vs Mansell battle is so well-remembered precisely BECAUSE of the defensive drive put on. Because back then, you could overtake at Monaco. Overtakes didn’t fall off a cliff until around 1994-1995, and the absolute WORST era for on-track action was 1998-2008, when the cars were the NARROWEST they’ve ever been. That’s why circuits like China and Russia put on awful shows despite being massively wide, whilst Brazil and Suzuka put on great shows despite being narrow. Width is the least important factor.

Pezzarinho17 likes this.
  8. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

Seeing as F12020 was on sale this weekend I bit the bullet...

Holy crap the Vietnam track is garbage. Lets not go there ever, please.

SlowGrayAudi likes this.
  9. Robin

Robin Premium

I kinda think, if they've build it lets at least go there, once :p

Macau is absolutely fine most of the lap apart from the hill section which is similar to Monaco.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    mastergracie likes this.
  10. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

11. Liquid

Liquid Premium

More than fair. Congrats to Lewis.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they renamed the track after him.

TenEightyOne likes this.
  12. Dotini

Dotini Premium

I like the idea of renaming Formula 1 into Formula Hamilton - until such time as his records are broken!

13. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Just wouldn't sound as cool as when foreign circuits do it.

Autodromo Carlos Pace
    Circuit de Gilles Villenueve
    Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari
    International Racetrack of Lewis Hamilton?

I jest of course. I'm sure one day a circuit will name in his honour.

14. Wiegert

Wiegert Premium

Not naming one or more corners the 'Lewis Hamilturn(s)' instead? C'mon, Silverstone.

TheCracker likes this.
  15. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

They should name another straight after George Russell just to annoy Nikita Mazepin.

Wiegert likes this.
  16. SlowGrayAudi

SlowGrayAudi

They should rename brake markers after Mazepin since thats where all his victims end up.