2020 Hyundai Sonata

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 60 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/2020-hyundai-sonata-officially-revealed-as-sleek-four-door-coupe/

9afb86d3-2020-hyundai-sonata-1_1.jpg

5527d2e1-2020-hyundai-sonata-2_1.jpg

12cefaf7-2020-hyundai-sonata-3.jpg

Not sure about the Civic taillights. Also, the fact that the HVAC controls are not in line with the vents above them is making my OCD go nuts. :lol:

That chrome beltline that goes all the way to the headlights is atrocious.

The taillights looks like a hybrid between the Honda Civic and Polestar 2 designs.

I literally went to bed last night talking about how it seemed time for the next Sonata. Yes, my life really is that thrilling.

I like it quite a lot. If there's one thing we can credit the crossover boom with, it's allowed the mainstream sedans some room to become almost aspirational. Look at the Camry, and now the Sonata: they're both far more stylish than they used to be.

God damn I need to hurry and get a Hyundai before they all become hideous. This thing is disgusting in pictures.

Not sure about the back (might be the taillight bar) but damn the rest is great, interior looks like a really nice place to be.

I literally went to bed last night talking about how it seemed time for the next Sonata. Yes, my life really is that thrilling.

I like it quite a lot. If there's one thing we can credit the crossover boom with, it's allowed the mainstream sedans some room to become almost aspirational. Look at the Camry, and now the Sonata: they're both far more stylish than they used to be.

The sedans becoming “stylish” is one of the major factors accelrating the crossover boom, in North America at least. Lower hip points and coupelike rooflines that cut into headroom are not endearing them to an aging customer base. If every sedan was still the 1992 Camry the crossover’s rise would’ve been much slower.

On the other hand, the crossover’s overt femininity has pushed sedans into becoming overly masculine to combat them.

It’s a cool design, typically derivative but with some unique touches, but like you said it’ll depend highly on colour and trim level. In the base trim with 16” wheels and black plastic instead of chrome it’ll look dorky, but that’s the point I guess.

A hybrid wagon of that would be pretty nice... Will only be in Europe like the Toyota Corolla Hybrid Wagon...

Too bad they won't do factory orders like Volvo with their wagon.

It's not for me. I liked the thumbnail of the 3/4ths view on the front page, but upon further inspection I was completely turned off by the car as a whole.

Then I seen the back...

:yuck:

The taillights looks like a hybrid between the Honda Civic and Polestar 2 designs.

To me the back of the car, as a whole; looks like the current Civic crossed with the GM EV-1.

Last edited:
The only two offputting designs I see are: the steering wheel and the curved windows at the C-pillar. The whole car has angles and kinks, the window should have a kink as well.

I can see why they made it curve, to balance the thinness of the body in profile. It's just throwing me off. Still a good design for this car, from this brand/company.

My biggest disappointment is that for a second I thought it was a lift back... I love lift backs.

Not many options here though.

Buick Regal (pretty nice car though)
Audi A7 (expensive new, cheap used but everyone knows what they say about cheap used luxury cars...)
Kia Stinger (alright, but a little iffy on the taillights, dealing with a Kia dealership and the fact that dealers only carry the most expensive trim with all the options...)

On know Europe has much better options for lift backs, especially for cheaper ones...

The sedans becoming “stylish” is one of the major factors accelrating the crossover boom, in North America at least. Lower hip points and coupelike rooflines that cut into headroom are not endearing them to an aging customer base. If every sedan was still the 1992 Camry the crossover’s rise would’ve been much slower.
I'd say this is more of the cause and effect than crossovers giving the sedan space to become more impractical. As soon as everyone started copying the original CLS profile for style, you needed to have a crossover to match the interior space for the footprint and any ability to see out of it.

And what the hell, they're only a little more a month.

The front end looks a little bit like a Mondeo

The taillights look small in comparison with the car, which doesn't look good.

I decided I don't hate it although I do find it really odd that they chose a Buick jellybean shape for the side windows instead of following the body line. I think that looks very out of place. The headlights are also extremely weird and not cohesive with any other aspect of the car.

So this isn't just a re-badged Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport* then?

*Buick Regal, Holden Commodore and, of course, Opel Insignia too.

Back