2020 Hyundai Sonata

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 60 comments
This car looks incredibly well detailed inside and out.

Best of all....

DAT SHUTLINE
FXBdIjr.jpg

Makes me think its less a pedestrian safety thing as others have suggested, and more a cost cutting thing. Good on you Hyundai for doing it properly!

I feel like Hyundai & Genesis have basically taken the space that Nissan & Infiniti used to occupy, but you also get the sense that they are just getting started. Pretty sure it was the great financial crisis that [effectively] killed N & I, so I'll be curious to see how Hyundai can navigate economic storms.

Hyundai have their bread & butter SUVs. Motor racing programs, especially electrification. Looks like they awill remain pretty solid to me.

I'm a pretty big fan of the interior especially, and that N-line will be on my shopping list in a year or so.

God, those two long chrome strips in the hood which integrate into the headlamps look very awful. :yuck:

Sat in one of these. Horribly uncomfortable. Didn't like it at all. The touch points are all in weird positions. Arm rest on the door is weird. Can't stand the folded cow tongue shift assembly... Really cuts into your knee. Not sure what hyundai was thinking here. The Kia should hopefully be much better. There is nothing that would make me spend more than 30 grand on a Hyundai car.
As far as I'm concerned, they should junk everything and just sell Palisades.

Sat in one of these. Horribly uncomfortable. Didn't like it at all. The touch points are all in weird positions. Arm rest on the door is weird. Can't stand the folded cow tongue shift assembly... Really cuts into your knee. Not sure what hyundai was thinking here. The Kia should hopefully be much better. There is nothing that would make me spend more than 30 grand on a Hyundai car.
N Performance cars say hello.

What do you expect? They're only trying to emulate Lexus in this segment, after all. :lol:

I think the even bigger problem is that the lower valance has serious tumblehome instead of being vertical or sticking out; which apparently shows nobody learned anything from the final F-body Camaro.

Does anyone know if the new Sonata will eventually get a better engine than the 191hp Smartstream 2.5GDI? 191hp seems rather underpowered for the higher-up trims of the Sonata.

Saw my first new Sonata on the road yesterday (haven't been doing much driving lately, let's be honest). It was fine. Maybe black isn't the best color but yeah it was good. I don't think it looks any more notable than the current Accord or Camry but it's on par with them at a glance.

@GranTurNismo Yes it's getting an N-Line version for 2021. 290 HP!

Rear 3/4 looks fine and the interior too. Except that steering wheel.

The car almost gives me an Opel/Vauxhall/Holden VXR vibe, with those wheels.

I reckon this looks really good for a mid sized fwd sedan... unfortunately its only available as an N-Line here so $50k plus and it still has the same 2.5 turbo 8 spd fwd thing booting thru some kind of electronic weak LSD so enjoy those one wheel peels.

I suppose they might have the same 1.6 turbo 4wd option as the Kia but then people would complain about power.

Despite the current generation Sonata's lack of sales success, especially considering how much Hyundai touted it as far more advanced and more aesthetically upmarket then any other generation, I guess it's refreshing that Hyundai isn't pulling the plug on mid-size sedans and is committed to an ever bigger Sonata redesign in the near future.

I do wonder why the "new Sonata" hasn't really taken off. I guess the easy answer is that less and less buyers are buying sedans these days, but this Sonata has done significantly worse than others sales-wise. I've seen much more Kia K5s than Sonatas of this generation on the road despite the two being almost exactly the same price and size.

I get strong 90s Buick vibes from that steering wheel, LOL.

But if you've ever used one you'll know they're the best wheels. I love a four spoke wheel because of the open slot at the bottom where I rest my hand while on the highway. With the weight of your hand on the bottom, any slight pull on the highway is self-centering. Effortless cruising. All these people with their three spoke wheels are suffering and don't even know it.

Official announcement of the Sonata facelift

2024-hyundai-sonata-facelift.jpg

Official images show the standard model and the sporty-looking N Line.

The more desirable of the two gets a new design for the quad exhaust tips and exclusive 19-inch alloy wheels.

The 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster along with the infotainment touchscreen of the same size are enclosed in a piece of curved glass

Other modifications we're noticing is the continuous air vent design, a new steering with the four dots (H in Morse code), and the gear selector moved to the steering column to give the center console a cleaner look. Doing so has allowed Hyundai to extend the central armrest and add a palm rest for extra comfort for the driver. Overall, it appears the quality inside the cabin has gone up a notch with the mid-cycle facelift.

Hyundai intends to have the 2024 Sonata on display beginning March 30 at the Seoul Mobility Show where it’s expected to release details about the technical specifications.

It's a good looking car though I'm starting to worry the unibrow lighting elements as a design move are getting stale. This is a better update than the Elantra though, which I thought had a face a bit incongruous with the rest of the car.

Latest Posts

Back