2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
Pit stops are very relevant to racing to me, but even I have gotten tired of the same narratives in NASCAR. 75% of the new car is IMSA related already, install the chassis jacks and bring on the single lug. Fueling hoses would be fine too, it's not like NASCAR's the only series in the world the pit stop can be crucial in.

There is, however, something that I'm not exactly sure how to get over. CF bodies, as long as they don't splinter and send shards everywhere, fine. Dallara being the only chassis builder? DPi's aren't as big as I think they are, Indycars aren't as small as I think they are, the NASCAR tub would probably be relatively close so supply shouldn't be a big deal, but...I think I'm hung up on the thought that the chassis builders have a hand in performance, and going spec negates that.

I think the biggest hurdle I'm having with the car itself is the "one common body" line. We went through that with the COT, I can recall the migraines from talking to people about it (when I had some to talk to), and that was a big reason Gen 6 had brand specific panels. Yeah, I know that everything between the pillars is the same, but the panels that are different did change how people looked at them. And now from how I'm reading it (interpretation may be wrong, my idiocy seems to have become advanced of late) NASCAR's gonna rely on just a sticker pack to distinguish the brands.

I would like to give a few thoughts though. 1) Pull a WWE and operate outright as NASCAR instead of trying to maintain the acronym. 2) If these cars ARE going to be almost completely spec, as it would seem, then they need to be something other than a "stock car" because stock was left back in the 70's somewhere. 3) Don't bother with the car names. Chevy, Ford, Toyota, anyone who may join. If the engine is gonna be the only difference, go by that. Otherwise *builder*-Dallara.

That said, I may be way off base and off in my own little world, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I like how they keep mentioning IMSA as the source for all these new ideas when it's been standard racing technology in just about everything else around the world for the past two or three decades.
This is because A: NASCAR has a financial stake in IMSA. B: IMSA is putting out a better product than NASCAR.
C. Easiest and fastest relation they could probably think of.

Pit stops are very relevant to racing to me, but even I have gotten tired of the same narratives in NASCAR. 75% of the new car is IMSA related already, install the chassis jacks and bring on the single lug. Fueling hoses would be fine too, it's not like NASCAR's the only series in the world the pit stop can be crucial in.

There is, however, something that I'm not exactly sure how to get over. CF bodies, as long as they don't splinter and send shards everywhere, fine. Dallara being the only chassis builder? DPi's aren't as big as I think they are, Indycars aren't as small as I think they are, the NASCAR tub would probably be relatively close so supply shouldn't be a big deal, but...I think I'm hung up on the thought that the chassis builders have a hand in performance, and going spec negates that.

I think the biggest hurdle I'm having with the car itself is the "one common body" line. We went through that with the COT, I can recall the migraines from talking to people about it (when I had some to talk to), and that was a big reason Gen 6 had brand specific panels. Yeah, I know that everything between the pillars is the same, but the panels that are different did change how people looked at them. And now from how I'm reading it (interpretation may be wrong, my idiocy seems to have become advanced of late) NASCAR's gonna rely on just a sticker pack to distinguish the brands.

I would like to give a few thoughts though. 1) Pull a WWE and operate outright as NASCAR instead of trying to maintain the acronym. 2) If these cars ARE going to be almost completely spec, as it would seem, then they need to be something other than a "stock car" because stock was left back in the 70's somewhere. 3) Don't bother with the car names. Chevy, Ford, Toyota, anyone who may join. If the engine is gonna be the only difference, go by that. Otherwise *builder*-Dallara.

That said, I may be way off base and off in my own little world, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

C. Easiest and fastest relation they could probably think of.

I’m pretty sure that only the chassis are going to be spec, the bodies are going to be similar to Gen 6 from what I’ve read with subtle manufacturer differences. It doesn’t seem like Dallara is going to be actually manufacture the chassis anymore either, they just helped with the initial design. There’s some other N.C.-based company I can’t remember the name of who seems to be the front runner, but they could very well be just a Dallara subsidiary.

I imagine the bodies will be along the lines of Holden and Ford in Supercars in terms of manufacturer differences, since that seems to be the target.

Edit: it’s some company called Technique Inc.

First BIG news about the 2021 schedule!

Edit:
Clash will run on Tuesday.
Cup Qualifying on Wednesday.
ARCA will run after the Xfinity Series race on Saturday.
Rest of schedule will remain unchanged

Double edit:

Last edited:

Edit:

And apparently they’re running the old Gen 6 cars in the Clash on the Road Course, should be fun. A true last hurrah.

I’m happy about all of it except perhaps keeping the Clash name, should be called something new, and then they won’t be beholden to the old pole winners format.

But let’s be honest, it’s clearly a test to see if Cup cars work on the road course so they can use it for the second Daytona race in the future, same as they’re doing with Indy with Xfinity this year.

The question is why is it on Tuesday? I know they're aiming to shorten up the schedule a bit, but a Tuesday? Are they planning to run it under the lights? Seems odd.

NASCAR seems to be making lots of good moves lately. This of course means the Coronavirus is wiping out humanity. :lol:

But let’s be honest, it’s clearly a test to see if Cup cars work on the road course so they can use it for the second Daytona race in the future, same as they’re doing with Indy with Xfinity this year.

I could certainly see that happening now that the second Daytona race is no longer on the 4th of July weekend.

I’m not so sure that we will see the Cup series racing on the Indy road course though unless they add a second race or do a bizarre double header with a race on each version (I would love to see it though).

Edit:

Double edit:

I like it. I like it a lot. Also, I love how much of NASCAR beyond 2020 is just gonna be IMSA lite with ovals. It's something I've been waiting to happen for a long time.

EDIT: If they plan on running the Busch Clash on the road course under the lights they better be able to tack on some headlights or we're gonna have a problem.

Last edited:
They will continue using the carousel layout at Sonoma, I didn’t catch the 2019 race so I can’t say if it helped the racing at all.

Hopefully they will run the boot at the Glen as well.

EDIT: If they plan on running the Busch Clash on the road course under the lights they better be able to tack on some headlights or we're gonna have a problem.

IIRC they have more lights in the infield but don’t turn them on for the 24 in order to make it actually feel like nighttime.

Granted even if they don’t temporary lights are easy enough to set up.

They will continue using the carousel layout at Sonoma, I didn’t catch the 2019 race so I can’t say if it helped the racing at all.

Hopefully they will run the boot at the Glen as well.

IIRC they have more lights in the infield but don’t turn them on for the 24 in order to make it actually feel like nighttime.

AFAIK they run the 24 hours with all the lights at partial strength, so they're not running effectively in daylight. It works great for TV too, because you can actually see the cars but still feel an element of the darkness.

I'm so removed from the Nascar fan I was growing up. Now I watch sports car racing - primarily IMSA. I would like to see Nascar do more road courses, and the longer versions like at Sonoma, the Glen, etc. I'm curious to see how these changes work out.

Oh boy...

giphy.gif

I'm not sure what Brian thinks he will accomplish by doing this. It will be very difficult to prove that a parody account with 15k followers has done damage considering he has had a very public DWI. And even if this does somehow get to court and they find in his favor it's not like he will actually get anything since I'm guessing the person behind the account isnt some rich person.

Sadly this will negatively impact NASCAR as well since people usually glance over "former".

Or more likely this will be the first and last time we hear about it, since no one actually gives a damn about Twitter drama anymore and NASCAR looks set to be delivering a number of more interesting and important announcements over the next few months.

Or more likely this will be the first and last time we hear about it, since no one actually gives a damn about Twitter drama anymore and NASCAR looks set to be delivering a number of more interesting and important announcements over the next few months.

This

Based on what I saw both in the first roval race, and in Daytona races in general they're gonna need a lot of extra lighting to compensate for no headlights.

AFAIK they run the 24 hours with all the lights at partial strength, so they're not running effectively in daylight. It works great for TV too, because you can actually see the cars but still feel an element of the darkness.

I'm so removed from the Nascar fan I was growing up. Now I watch sports car racing - primarily IMSA. I would like to see Nascar do more road courses, and the longer versions like at Sonoma, the Glen, etc. I'm curious to see how these changes work out.
That's interesting about the lights. And that's basically me too. Watched it a lot when I was a kid (this was the 2000's when NASCAR was at its peak) and have long since started following sports car racing more than NASCAR. Hence why I said IMSA has been putting out a better racing product.

Blaney has signed an extension with Penske, so there goes my theory out the window. Now it’s down for Keselowski vs Erik Jones for who gets the 48 (I still think Larson will go to the 14 if he leaves Ganassi).

I'm a life-long participant and spectator in racing, but only started consistently watching NASCAR about 3 or 4 years ago. I watched the Phoenix race and was absorbed and very satisfied. I thought the best of the veterans and rookies were able to distinguish themselves. IMHO a great race in every respect.

This morning I found a review at racer.com which finds much to like in the latest aero package, tires and format for the short track.
https://racer.com/2020/03/08/phoenix-a-good-start-for-new-short-track-aero-odonnell/

Back