2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
It's America, even with society getting a bit more politically sensitive, I see a Fortune 500 company sayings, "Screw it", and taking the risk. Especially if a Hendrick seat is still in play. Michael Vick went to prison for a heinous crime, yet not only came back to the NFL, levied that into a analyst gig @ Fox. His actions have been largely forgotten or at least looked over in the decade since.

I know it's not exactly NASCAR related, but Trans-Am has confirmed they will continue supporting NASCAR during the Road America weekend. :D

Good for him. I believe he's seen the error of his ways. Whether a sponsor will touch him or not is the real question.

I think it could be a great opportunity for a sponsor if they present it right. Use Kyle as a role model for change type of deal.

Larson could be a legitimate saint for the rest of his life, and someone will still hate him for what he did. It's not as bad a Michael Vick, who would have to visibly ascend to heaven before many stop spewing hatred his way, but he opened his mouth and stuck both feet in. Under regular circumstances, I'd wager we would never have known about it, so as long as he keeps himself in check someone will take a chance on him.

Well that's a step up for both teams. Especially in the #14 car. Though I am worried about SHR taking on two drivers who are fairly inexperienced. Hendrick took a step back with the signings of Bowman (I don't really know how much he learned driving around in the back for 3 years) and Byron, but we'll have to see.

Well that's a step up for both teams. Especially in the #14 car. Though I am worried about SHR taking on two drivers who are fairly inexperienced. Hendrick took a step back with the signings of Bowman (I don't really know how much he learned driving around in the back for 3 years) and Byron, but we'll have to see.
Hendrick's step back coincided with the Camaro's introduction and Johnson's fall off. Eventually they were going to drop off as replacing a legend (Gordon) and a great driver (Dale Jr.) would be next to impossible. On top of it all, Chevrolet is clearly not as strong as it was even 5 years ago.

I think Jones will struggle in the 43. A driver with zero funding who will probably overdrive the car every week isn’t a great choice for a team who always seem to be on the brink of bankruptcy. A reliable funded driver would’ve been a better choice, though there’s not many of those currently available other than maybe Allgaier.

Lost in all of this is that the 37 seems to be yet another mid-pack car disappearing after this year. The Marks/Suarez #99 is rumoured to be using their charter next season.

I think Jones will struggle in the 43. A driver with zero funding who will probably overdrive the car every week isn’t a great choice for a team who always seem to be on the brink of bankruptcy. A reliable funded driver would’ve been a better choice, though there’s not many of those currently available other than maybe Allgaier.

Lost in all of this is that the 37 seems to be yet another mid-pack car disappearing after this year. The Marks/Suarez #99 is rumoured to be using their charter next season.
I didn't hear that JTG was reducing its stable. That would be a tough hit.

The Marks/Suarez #99 is rumoured to be using their charter next season.

I thought that they were going to use the #13's charter? Because Germain is closing down his whole operation and Ty Dillon is probably going down to an Xfinity series ride... Unless I'm thinking of the Jordan/Hamlin team for next year doing that?

I thought that they were going to use the #13's charter? Because Germain is closing down his whole operation and Ty Dillon is probably going down to an Xfinity series ride... Unless I'm thinking of the Jordan/Hamlin team for next year doing that?

No, the Jordan/Hamlin deal was part of Leavine team shutting down.

Right now I have 32 full time entries. Maybe a low count this year due to teams no wanting to spend the money when they have a new car coming in 2022? Or the start of a trend?

Yes, the Jordan team is using the #13 charter.

Spire bought the #95 charter and are running two cars next season.

I’ve heard that the #99 is leasing a mysterious third Spire charter, but no one really knows where they bought it from. The 37 is the rumour.

Last edited:

Another one (mostly) bites the dust.

I imagine they’ll be like Tommy Baldwin and will run more races or even a full schedule if the right pay driver comes along.

Guess the #78 will end up with this charter with Matt Tifft making his return as a co-owner/driver

Last edited:

Another one (mostly) bites the dust.

I imagine they’ll be like Tommy Baldwin and will run more races or even a full schedule if the right pay driver comes along.

Guess the #78 will end up with this charter with Matt Tifft making his return as a co-owner/driver

The charter system made sense maybe a decade ago when you had full 43 car fields. Now? It has no value and probably should be abolished.

The charter system made sense maybe a decade ago when you had full 43 car fields. Now? It has no value and probably should be abolished.

At this point it seems as just a profit sharing program. “Buy into our group to get paid.” Notice the time this program came out was when the purses no longer were public info?

Only benefit I see today is that buying a charter reduces some risk, as when your team goes broke, you won’t lose the house as you can sell the charter for a few million (though unless entries go up, the lack of demand will nose dive the charter’s value).

Last edited:
The charters were always meant as some form of guaranteed income. The idea, as I understood it so take this with a grain of salt, was to provide stability for investors, basically making the teams more akin to corporations to bring in more money...I think it's backfired, but not because of it's existence. The wane in popularity, the lackluster racing, and so many other issues have compounded it's shortcomings, and the economy...existing...means companies and potential investors want something that will bring in as much money as it can in short order, something racing doesn't deliver across the board.

Again, I could be well off-base, but that's how I understood it and how it looks to my eyes.

The charters were always meant as some form of guaranteed income. The idea, as I understood it so take this with a grain of salt, was to provide stability for investors, basically making the teams more akin to corporations to bring in more money...I think it's backfired, but not because of it's existence. The wane in popularity, the lackluster racing, and so many other issues have compounded it's shortcomings, and the economy...existing...means companies and potential investors want something that will bring in as much money as it can in short order, something racing doesn't deliver across the board.

Again, I could be well off-base, but that's how I understood it and how it looks to my eyes.

It’s also had the side effect of reducing driver talent. There’s no incentive for the bottom half of the field to hire someone who will drive the car to its maximum potential when there’s no DNQs and the amount of purse money you get every week is more or less fixed, rather than being variable based on finishing position. It’s a much more viable business to just let someone like a Gase or Houff pay to drive the car as long as they can keep it out of the fence, while being a moving chicane to the rest of the field, rather than someone like Cassill or Kligerman (who will actually require a salary) who are going to get the most out of that car, but probably only finish 3-5 positions higher even though they’ll only be 2 or 3 laps down rather than 10-15.

The same can be said for the equipment itself. It only has to make minimum speed if you’re just going to show up and try to finish, rather than trying to finish the best you possible can.

It seems like the only money that’s actually variable nowadays is the year end points fund.

As much as everyone hated the start and park era, it produced talented drivers who had to put everything on the line to qualify garbage cars into the race.

Last edited:
kYlE bUsCh alert but this thing looks pretty badass

122451477_10157765373937129_356094445662679349_o.jpg

I see Rhodes is now going for the pit maneuver to get his way and he thinks he was wronged.
That was uncalled for from him. Between him and Sauter deciding to punt their brains in favor of desperate acts,NASCAR has the "excitement" they've been wanting. It's funny to me, but I'm not invested anymore.

Any chance they will get this race in tonight?

I've flipped away to watch something else once they went to replaying the Kansas race. I do check Nascar.com, but it doesn't say much.

I have a feeling that will be the case. Haven't checked in the last hour though. Was surprised they were still running when the light drizzle started. I'm wondering with tire technology as it is, if we could see an oval rain tire coming.

Back