2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
I'm wondering with tire technology as it is, if we could see an oval rain tire coming.

I don't think they would do it even if the tires could handle it (It's Good Year we're talking about, so that's a big if) simply because of visibility issues. Unlike road courses where the cars get spread out ovals usually have packs which would result in one massive water cloud, this would obviously cause issues for race control and make for a terrible viewing experience for fans.

Edit: It's been postponed to tomorrow at 10AM ET.

Last edited:
I don't think they would do it even if the tires could handle it (It's Good Year we're talking about, so that's a big if) simply because of visibility issues. Unlike road courses where the cars get spread out ovals usually have packs which would result in one massive water cloud, this would obviously cause issues for race control and make for a terrible viewing experience for fans.

Oh, I know it’d be a mess, but it’s also NASCAR. They haven’t been afraid to try some off the wall things recently.

Today's forecast isn't much better with a 70% chance of rain at race start. Tomorrow around 1 pm is when the chance of rain first falls below 40%.

They have been drying the track since before I listened in at 9:45 Eastern.

But

"

And then.

Last edited:
This is still gonna be spotty at best overnight. It's supposed to clear out around mid day tomorrow if the app I use is vaguely true.

They are again drying the track, have been for a little while.

But

Look back up to my initial post when I said the earliest the precipitation chance will be below 50%. That will be tomorrow from 1 PM until about 8 PM. That's the window they may want to look at. If that one doesn't work, then they will have to wait until Wednesday at around 4 PM.

At this point, they should NOT be focusing on finishing the full race, but making sure they can get an official race.

Agreed, Blitz24.

Turns 1 and 2 have now turned black again (moisture) and more than a mist reported currently.

EDIT I feel a decision at 6 o'clock coming.

EDIT Cancelled to 11 tomorrow

Last edited:
No track drying going on, it's too wet. NASCAR ready but Mother nature is not cooperating.

EDIT
Track drying started.

EDIT

Last edited:
Being that we are still without fans in the stands, why not nullify those 52 laps, and make this the season finale? While not the best race track, still better than Phoenix. This is going to lead to a processional race @ Martinsville if the teams get less than a day or two of setup prep as everyone has been stuck in Dallas.

Being that we are still without fans in the stands, why not nullify those 52 laps, and make this the season finale? While not the best race track, still better than Phoenix. This is going to lead to a processional race @ Martinsville if the teams get less than a day or two of setup prep as everyone has been stuck in Dallas.

They can't change the championship format on a whim like that. There is an eliminator coming up and a finale. Those races coming up are already set up/tickets sold and I heard Phoenix was sold out. Can't just go all willy nilly and make this the finale.

Last edited:
NASCAR MIGHT want to consider delaying Martinsville to Monday or Tuesday. The chances of getting in the race today are not great and tomorrow night seems to be the opening of the forecast.

They're still drying the track. I thought they may call it at this time but race control just told them to keep it up.

Anyone want to drive over to the track to drive around and help dry it?

UPDATE: NASCAR has given a tentative start time of 8:30 PM ET. I have to think if they do run at all tonight, they should only be focused on getting in 115 laps (which will officially be halfway).

Last edited:
Back