2020 Nissan Sylphy (aka Sentra)

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 50 comments
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/19/2020-nissan-sentra-redesigned-la-auto-show/

(engine size in the article title is wrong.... :rolleyes: )

2020_nissan_sentra_sr_001.jpg

2020_nissan_sentra_sr_002.jpg

2020_nissan_sentra_sr_037.jpg

2020_nissan_sentra_sr_038.jpg

2020_nissan_sentra_sr_021.jpg

From those pictures, it actually looks quite nice. But sadly, I doubt anyone will actually buy one in bright blue or orange, or in that trim level. Sadly, I bet 80-90% of these Sentras (just like the outgoing model) will be the base model with tiny hubcaps and be either grey or white in color, because most Sentra buyers buy them since they’re the cheapest compact sedans available, or because Nissan is the only brand that will accept such a low credit score.

From those pictures, it actually looks quite nice. But sadly, I doubt anyone will actually buy one in bright blue or orange, or in that trim level. Sadly, I bet 80-90% of these Sentras (just like the outgoing model) will be the base model with tiny hubcaps and be either grey or white in color, because most Sentra buyers buy them since they’re the cheapest compact sedans available, or because Nissan is the only brand that will accept such a low credit score.
I think with the nicely equipped, attractive new Versa out now, that may change. Anyone that might buy a cheap Sentra would take a good look at a loaded Versa instead.

Kid with none to slight credit tells guy with experience in the car area that the company he works for sells cheapest compact for piss poor credit.

Alright...

KIA and Hyundai have actually been much cheaper on entry to the compact econo car market than Nissan or any other. The Sentra is in similar range of other japanese makes all of which are more than you spend on an Elantra.

Kid with none to slight credit tells guy with experience in the car area that the company he works for sells cheapest compact for piss poor credit.

Alright...

KIA and Hyundai have actually been much cheaper on entry to the compact econo car market than Nissan or any other. The Sentra is in similar range of other japanese makes all of which are more than you spend on an Elantra.

Define much. Seems the current Sentra is a few hundred dollars more than the Elantra (base to base), but nearly the same. I don't think it invalidates anything he said regardless. People buy Sentras because they are cheap and, probably, because "Nissan" seems a little more legitimate than "Hyundai" or "Kia", however flawed that sentiment is. Perhaps the new Sentra will change things, but I imagine Nissan will still count on cheapness to move the cars.

Define much. Seems the current Sentra is a few hundred dollars more than the Elantra (base to base), but nearly the same. I don't think it invalidates anything he said regardless. People buy Sentras because they are cheap and, probably, because "Nissan" seems a little more legitimate than "Hyundai" or "Kia", however flawed that sentiment is. Perhaps the new Sentra will change things, but I imagine Nissan will still count on cheapness to move the cars.

I'm talking last few years and being a buyer of both. Also the price, for the Sentra was 17.9k to 24k, while the elantra 17.2k to 22k. KIA being the same price the number of cars moved between the two are the same, so any stigma about "legitimate" is only on those that may seemingly feel the company is still the same shotty group from 12 years prior.

Also saving a few hundred for people who by and large buy in this segment is a big deal, I know it was for me. Because That money I save goes toward a better warranty or down payment. Also Versa is their biggest mover for the first time or a to b buyer that is cheap and can be had at 14k.

Last edited:
Website price isn’t the whole story. The Mitsubishi Mirage, for example, has a higher starting price than the Versa, but actually sells for a cheaper price than it (oftentimes only 11-12k new) because most of them are heavily marked down.

Looks promising. I was recently in the back of the prior Sentra. It felt like the car was doing jumping jacks over every bump and dip.

Nissan Canada has made the mind-boggling decision to not offer the quilted leather interior at all.

It’s a shame, as our guy liked the car well enough on the launch. But it’s a cutthroat market here, and that would’ve been one of the Sentra’s USPs.

Nissan Canada has made the mind-boggling decision to not offer the quilted leather interior at all.

It’s a shame, as our guy liked the car well enough on the launch. But it’s a cutthroat market here, and that would’ve been one of the Sentra’s USPs.
At least you get the 6MT that isn't great. ;)

I caught a couple of them in the streets this past week, and I am surprised at how good looking these are now...

I am actually liking what Nissan has been doing since the latest Altima and now this Sentra.

Nissan is reborn out of its ashes ?!?

My Altima company lease is due for renewal next month so I'm looking to replace it with an Aspen white Sentra SR with black roof and the premium package. Will update if/when that happens.

Heard through the grapevines that Nissan Canada will offer the manual gearbox on the Sentra SR 2021. It'll be interesting to see if it actually sells.

Last edited:
Back