2020 NTT IndyCar Series SeasonOpen Wheel 

I’m SO thankful that Pigot was able to walk away from that. My biggest fear with Indianapolis is someone hitting the end of the pit wall. My heart sank when they cut to that camera.

Failed F1 driver to 2 time Indy 500 winner.

It is just turning left though. :lol:
Meanwhile the successful F1 driver can't get it together and control the peasants.

Can we get over this superiority mindset? They're different cars, different rules, and different situations. Success in any car doesn't mean success in every car, even in the same series.

Good race, Sato wins and both O'Ward and Harvey have impressive finishes!

Meanwhile the successful F1 driver can't get it together and control the peasants.

Can we get over this superiority mindset? They're different cars, different rules, and different situations. Success in any car doesn't mean success in every car, even in the same series.

I think you missed the sarcasm in his post. ;)

Since 2015 that's 3 "failed F1 drivers" to win the 500 (Sato x2 and Rossi). Alonso not only finished 21st, he was a complete non-factor.

Pissed it was such an anticlimax.

I’m not certain Dixon would’ve been able to get past. Even if they threw the red flag, it’d restarted with maybe 2 laps remaining. And Dixon would’ve had to deal with a whole bunch of fast guys behind him all wanting to take second into T1.

Don't care about Sato either way, but pretty bummed they didn't throw the red flag so they can have a finish under green.

Don't care about Sato either way, but pretty bummed they didn't throw the red flag so they can have a finish under green.
From what I heard, it would have taken at least an hour to get the attenuator cleaned up.

I'm guessing the decision to finish under yellow was ultimately made by NBC. It sucks but it's far more beneficial for IndyCar if the finish is seen on broadcast TV compared to CNBC or MSNBC.

I wouldn't think the TV network would be the one to ultimately decide how a race finishes* but I think there's a couple factors the race control team had to take into consideration when making the decision to let it finish under yellow.

*Aside from NASCAR...

Honestly if they red flagged it, it would have been a one lap shoot out, (Sato was coming to 4 to go when the caution happened) that would have taken place 30 minutes later (minimum) after repair work was done to the pit wall and Pigots wreck was cleared away and all debris cleaned off the track.

Hamilton should score 8 F1 WDCs then 'retire' to do IndyCar, he'd smash it.
Just a small counter-argument... Lewis has never been in a racecar that even tops out at the speed the slowest car qualied today. There's a fair bit of difference in the skillset between F1 and Indy.

Alonso 21st lol
He started in the middle of row 9, the car wasn't a winner. Today's "lol" goes to Andretti sinking from pole position to 13th.

Definitely sucks that the race didn't finish under green but it was clearly a big cleanup effort and Sato was gaping Dixon with the backmarker in between them.

He started in the middle of row 9, the car wasn't a winner. Today's "lol" goes to Andretti sinking from pole position to 13th.

To be fair, it was Marco. Fact he didn’t even make it to turn one shows how much the field had over him. I’m not sure he even cracked the top 10 in any practice session.

He started in the middle of row 9, the car wasn't a winner.

I'm not sure but I think his car was the only one to pit on all of the first three yellows. With this odd strategy, he came up to 15th place. But his car was always oversteering and had lost the clutch. He had to be pushed from the stops then snick it into gear.

If 43 year old Sato and 40 year old Dixon are any example, Alonso should still have a few years left to run this race.

Back