Open Wheel 2020 NTT IndyCar Series Season

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by jake2013guy, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

If Alonso wants to have an actual chance to win it, he needs at least a full year of oval racing.

Northstar and Kingofweasles like this.
  2. Roo

Roo Premium

I didn't notice during the broadcast, but the Borg Warner trophy had a teeny tiny facemask:

[​IMG]

Quakebass, DK, Northstar and 5 others like this.
  3. Earth

Earth

Scary seeing that camera angle and a single tire laying there with no car in sight. It was like someone hit it at full speed and the car disintegrated.

I think racing the first 5-6 races of the season would be enough. That and hoping Andretti switches to Chevy power by 2023

4. StPeterMartyr

StPeterMartyr

A tribute to the pit attenuator : the true 2020 Indy 500 Winner.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  5. NAXEHT

NAXEHT

I can warmly recommend this video by David Land where he discusses the yellow flag finish from various perspectives.

Dylan likes this.
  6. Northstar

Northstar Premium

What the hell just happened? :odd:

7. Tornado

Tornado

Oh well. Almost got it.

8. AnthonyD1993

AnthonyD1993

Damn, I forgot about the race today.

9. DG_Silva

DG_Silva

Wow, just wow! Sato's move made me shout out - I had my headphones in and the other half looked over at me. I'm not giving anything away, but well worth a watch.

10. Northstar

Northstar Premium

If Askew can develop some more McLaren is going to be a very formidable team in the future.

Also, hopefully they do something special for Kanaan since it sounds like tomorrow could very well be his final IndyCar start.

11. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

Not only that, but with how the qualifying draw pans out, the
    Kanaan has already expressed interest in racing in next year's Indy 500 if the event will have spectators. This is going to be his last start for AJ Foyt's team though.

12. Northstar

Northstar Premium

That's why I said could be. :sly:

He said he would need to find the funding to make it happen, which was already an uphill battle pre-Covid. Granted a few sponsors came back to fund him this year so perhaps he can get 7-11 or another company he has a history with to back him.

Still, NBC should still do a video package pre-race just to give him a fitting sendoff just in case.

13. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

Did anyone tell the drivers that today's track time is also a race for points?

14. Roo

Roo Premium

Not sure which had fewer overtakes, this or the F1 race.

If you've not watched it, stick to the highlights and save yourself 90 minutes.

StPeterMartyr likes this.
  15. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

I thought Spa was boring and hoped for a more 'spicy' race 2 (race 1 was superb). I fell asleep again...
    Hopefully next two races more enjoyment.

StPeterMartyr likes this.
  16. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

I honestly think that the current IndyCar package for ovals under 1.5 Miles is just plain bad and not really conducive for the kind of racing that draws the little fans that are left and still interested out there in. On top of that, as time has gone on more and more fans are basically expecting the gimmicky, dangerous "Let's make the end of the race like a movie!"-kind of finish NASCAR puts on every week, regardless of whether it's safe or not. It doesn't help that quite a few motorsports journalists seem to be beating the drum of how racing is an "Entertainment 1st, Sport whatever" business model now more than ever...

Combine that with the second WWT Gateway race ending under yellow and nobody in the grandstands staying around to see the winner cross the finish line, let alone cheering for anything that happened in the race in general, makes me think IndyCar's days as a series that exists outside of the Indy 500 are numbered.

17. Dotini

Dotini Premium

I wonder why the Saturday race was so good and the Sunday race so bad? Was it the heat? Or was it the 190 gallons of oil spread on the track then hastily mopped up with 4000 lbs of oil dry, much of which was left on the circuit and on the drivers fuming in their cars waiting to start for 45 minutes?? If I were driver forced to endure this inanity in so much as a kart race, you can believe I'd be in a bad mood too. Speculations aside, the performance of rookie VeeKay, sophomore O'Ward and the 1-5 finish of Chevrolet was interesting. But the Sunday racing was done in the pits and the strategy box. Packs developed as leaders found themselves unable to pass back markers.

18. Northstar

Northstar Premium

StPeterMartyr and r_outsider like this.
  19. JackRyanWMU

JackRyanWMU

AAAAND it's on a weekend that I can't attend. Because of course it is. :banghead:

20. Northstar

Northstar Premium

TheHun99 likes this.
  21. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

I've heard its a 2 year deal on street and road courses (I assume Indy will be an exception).

22. L8 Apex

L8 Apex

Yeah, pictures of Jimmie in a firesuit with Honda and PNC Bank branding wouldn't go over well with Chevrolet or Ally, methinks...

23. Northstar

Northstar Premium

IndyCar is not setting the bar very high for exciting racing this weekend. :indiff:

24. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

I blame Will Power and Team Penske for being better than everybody else, with nobody even close enough to challenge him.

Just like the rest of the Indycar "Fans" out there!

25. AnthonyD1993

AnthonyD1993

If the rain comes this ending is going to be chaotic.

26. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

Dixon finally showed he's human.

27. Northstar

Northstar Premium

It's nice to see Colton get the win and Andretti finally have a good showing with a 1-2-3.

Overall a rather uneventful weekend though, hopefully Indy will be more exciting.

28. Northstar

Northstar Premium

29. Northstar

Northstar Premium

dlshearon, Dotini and TheHun99 like this.
  30. Carbonox

Carbonox

Reminds me of Vancouver first and foremost.