2020 NTT IndyCar Series SeasonOpen Wheel 

I thought the same thing at first regarding the conflict of interest. However, despite being rival team owners, both Ganassi and Andretti see it as a positive move. Assuming he doesn't somehow run everything into the ground and the other owners are on board, it doesn't look like it will be an issue.

If I remember correctly, Penske was an advocate for the guaranteed starting spots for full season teams in the Indy 500 right? So we can basically expect that to be implemented in the next year or two.

If I remember correctly, Penske was an advocate for the guaranteed starting spots for full season teams in the Indy 500 right? So we can basically expect that to be implemented in the next year or two.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Such a move benefitted him as a team owner, as a business owner it would hurt as bump day with is much more interesting if big names are at risk of missing the race.

He's still got the 1995 embarrassment living rent free in his mind, eh? :dopey:

I could see Andretti in 2022 looking like this:

#60 Andretti-Shank - Harvey
#27 Andretti - Rossi
#28 Andretti-Steinbrenner - Herta
#98 Andretti-Herta - Daly

and I would basically live and die by this team

I just booked my hotel for the Iowa weekend and couldn't get a room at the hotel I stayed at last year since it was already booked up (I didn't book a room until right before the race last year). Granted I have no way of knowing for sure that all the rooms are filled with people going to the race, but the seat selection screen was also pretty picked over already when I got my seats a week or so ago.

Hopefully this is a sign that Iowa will have a good turnout!

I could see Andretti in 2022 looking like this:

#60 Andretti-Shank - Harvey
#27 Andretti - Rossi
#28 Andretti-Steinbrenner - Herta
#98 Andretti-Herta - Daly

and I would basically live and die by this team

No RHR? :confused:

I just booked my hotel for the Iowa weekend and couldn't get a room at the hotel I stayed at last year since it was already booked up (I didn't book a room until right before the race last year). Granted I have no way of knowing for sure that all the rooms are filled with people going to the race, but the seat selection screen was also pretty picked over already when I got my seats a week or so ago.

Hopefully this is a sign that Iowa will have a good turnout!

No RHR? :confused:
Hunter-Reay will be 39 next month. 41 by 2022. It's a safe bet, I think.

Eva
Hunter-Reay will be 39 next month. 41 by 2022. It's a safe bet, I think.

This guy is 42....

04CJ6941.jpg

Unless RHR has a massive drop off in performance or becomes toxic to sponsors, I don't see him leaving Andretti and 41 isn't really that old.

This guy is 42....

04CJ6941.jpg

Unless RHR has a massive drop off in performance or becomes toxic to sponsors, I don't see him leaving Andretti and 41 isn't really that old.
On the age thing, it is kinda expected that drivers won't stay too long past 40. Helio got pulled at 42. TK should have probably stopped at 42 and not gone with Foyt. Bourdais is a weird one. Can't imagine Power or Dixon will stay more than 4 years. 2022-2023 is definitely a reasonable ballpark figure. I think it is more about consistency. With Sato, he's had a resurgence. The last three years have been the best of his IndyCar career, which can't be said of RHR, who is not by any means in a preferred spot at Andretti. He's 3rd gunner now to Herta and Rossi, for sure.

Looking at @FutureF1 and his 2022 prediction, I also don't see Shank and Andretti being a long term thing. I think Shank wants independence at some point, it'd be really weird if he didn't. Daly does not deserve a top tier Andretti seat, not even in place of Marco, and again, money. I don't see them quite getting rid of Veach, though I will place Veach in the same boat as Daly. Shouldn't be in Andretti. I see Andretti hunting for youth through their Road to Indy program.

I already started hating it when Hinch got screwed over.

Also, paying driver is never an uplifting statement regarding the replacement. I'm getting Dracone flashbacks here.

Also, paying driver is never an uplifting statement regarding the replacement. I'm getting Dracone flashbacks here.
They want a driver who's going to bring money to the team because that's why Bourdais isn't there. Honda pulled support for Bourdais.

Dracone is actually a pretty bad example of that as he didn't have the money to do a full season. The problem is who would fit that bill and want to drive for Coyne in IndyCar? I'm thinking a driver who comes from F2 and has sustained a budget there.

Kimball will be back full time in a Foyt car. It's certainly not going to result in them moving up the grid any, but it will at least help fill the void that ABC's reduction has left.

https://racer.com/2020/01/22/kimball-confirmed-for-full-season-with-foyt/

I'm kind of wondering what's going on at Carlin as well. All signs point to them continuing on with 2 cars (mainly according to Marshall Pruett), but the lack of announcements seems odd. Hopefully it's just a case of needing to work out the final details and not a sign of impending doom.

Ferrucci moves over to the DCR V/S Sealmaster car. Makes sense for him to get into the main DCR car. Needs to evolve into a team leader now without Bourdais

Alonso/Andretti deal blocked by Honda in Japan...

Thank you Honda for stunting the growth of Indycar over a petty dispute. 👎

You can thank Alonso and his big mouth for that.
Anyone in his scenario would be frustrated. Media blew the whole thing out of proportion. It also happened 5 years ago. Time for Honda to move on... Nothing he said was false. Their engine was horrendous.

Anyone in his scenario would be frustrated. Media blew the whole thing out of proportion. It also happened 5 years ago. Time for Honda to move on... Nothing he said was false. Their engine was horrendous.

But you can't blame Honda for no longer wanting someone with such an attitude towards their product. If you have an issue, and especially someone with the experience of Alonso, you know this will bite you in the ass. He should have kept it behind closed doors.

Back