2020 NTT IndyCar Series SeasonOpen Wheel 

It will be interesting to see if Penske get involved. He obviously has pull on the Indy side but has a card he can use on the IMSA side as well.

Even if he doesn't wind up with Andretti I hope Alonso can get a seat. I don't think his name has the value it did at one point, but it's still a big name that genuinly wants to run the 500 and every effort should be made to get him a seat so he can at least make an attempt at getting in the race.

Last edited:
Don’t **** where you eat. Although I think his ties with Toyota don’t help either.

I hope he finds a seat with Ed Carpenter Racing, they use Chevy engines and usually have fast cars for the 500.

Conor Daily released his new USAF livery

I’ll be honest....I don’t get it.

It looks more like a Vodophone McLaren Mercedes tribute than a USAF tribute.

I told him on Twitter, and he responded with this:

Which, I suppose makes it make a little more sense?

The shark mouth, he had that last year, it’s kind of hidden, but I suppose that’s a decent tribute to “the history of the fighter plane,” as he put it.

The red and white candy stripes on the engine cover, and rear wing - yes, they’re a copy of that plane in the right picture, but honestly that candy striping makes me think of the reflective tape on an ambulance or construction equipment. It’s also in the wrong place on the car, it should be on the upper rear wing where it says “Aim High”.

I think it’s mostly the grey that’s throwing me off though. It’s totally the wrong shade and sheen of grey to invoke fighter plane imagery.

In my opinion, they should have either gone for light, matte grey, like on a modern fighter; or gone for a shiny silver, like on WW2 and 1st/2nd Gen jet fighters. The glossy, gunmetal grey they used just doesn’t work as a “fighter plane” for me.

I still think it’s a cool livery, but I find it a stretch to see a fighter plane tribute there. Could be that I need to see it from more angles, or on TV.

Conor Daily released his new USAF livery

I’ll be honest....I don’t get it.

It looks more like a Vodophone McLaren Mercedes tribute than a USAF tribute.

I told him on Twitter, and he responded with this:

Which, I suppose makes it make a little more sense?

The shark mouth, he had that last year, it’s kind of hidden, but I suppose that’s a decent tribute to “the history of the fighter plane,” as he put it.

The red and white candy stripes on the engine cover, and rear wing - yes, they’re a copy of that plane in the right picture, but honestly that candy striping makes me think of the reflective tape on an ambulance or construction equipment. It’s also in the wrong place on the car, it should be on the upper rear wing where it says “Aim High”.

I think it’s mostly the grey that’s throwing me off though. It’s totally the wrong shade and sheen of grey to invoke fighter plane imagery.

In my opinion, they should have either gone for light, matte grey, like on a modern fighter; or gone for a shiny silver, like on WW2 and 1st/2nd Gen jet fighters. The glossy, gunmetal grey they used just doesn’t work as a “fighter plane” for me.

I still think it’s a cool livery, but I find it a stretch to see a fighter plane tribute there. Could be that I need to see it from more angles, or on TV.

I think the designers of that livery were going for a 1960's-70's throwback look, like this:

F-102A_61378_Iceland_1962_1000.png

Except with the A10 Warthog mouth & eyes.

EDIT: Also, Bubba Wallace's USAF NASCAR Cup Car livery has the lighter shade of grey you're thinking of, but lacks the riveted body pannels detailing that Daly's ECR ride has.

I think the designers of that livery were going for a 1960's-70's throwback look, like this:

View attachment 890017

Except with the A10 Warthog mouth & eyes.

EDIT: Also, Bubba Wallace's USAF NASCAR Cup Car livery has the lighter shade of grey you're thinking of, but lacks the riveted body pannels detailing that Daly's ECR ride has.
It’s still the grey that’s not working for me. If the grey on the car would be grey like in the photo you posted, I think it would work a lot better.

On top of that, with the light grey as the base, all the sponsor logos should have been done in dark grey, in the same stencil style lettering that the Air Force uses. His driver number done in the same style as the tail numbers.

Edit: and white wheels with black centres.

I love the livery simply because from certain angles it looks like the rear wing says "IM HIGH" instead of "AIM HIGH". :lol:

Also, Jimmie Johnson was in the pits today, it seemed noticeable since it's right in the middle of the Daytona 500 week.

IndyCar Pit stops will now have a new man over the wall. Aeroscreen attendant.
Not allowed to jump over wall until car has come to complete stop. May only service the Aeroscreen. May only do so while rear tires are off the ground.

Was on twitter today and found this. Back when Newgarden did that promo run at Charlotte last year, he posted some onboard laps to his YouTube.

As with any prior season of IndyCar racing, I am looking forward to this season. Can't wait for the season to kick off proper this coming weekend on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida, USA. It's hard to believe how long the street course in St. Pete has been around. The modern race around the streets of St. Petersburg has been raced on since 2005. There apparentely used to be a race around St. Pete that ran between 1985 and 1990. I thought originally St. Pete is like Monte Carlo, only without the glamour and prestige. The man to beat is Simon Pagenaud. I'll also be cheering on one of my personal favorite racing drivers of any discipline of motorsport- Tony Kanaan, in his Farewell Tour. And of course... I'm always looking forward to that a race we call the Indianapolis 500.

So, uh... bring on the 2020 IndyCar season! I'm ready! Are you?

Back