Endurance Racing Discussion Thread - WEC, ELMS etcSports Cars 

• Thread starter Kowhai
  • 825 comments
I was also wondering if it could be because they are going to be so close in speed and this is to avoid having a LMP2 possibly win overall in one of these big races.

But we don't yet know what the new LMDh/GTP are going to be capable of.
Funny, MP and Goodwin talked exactly about that maybe on Monday, specifically mentioning the Tower LMP2 entry as secret favorite.

Here we go!!

I wonder whether we will actually see any Le Mans-specific bodykits. 992 Moby Dick maybe? I don't follow the McLaren road cars but don't they have some LT versions, as well? I can see a reasoning behind such kits but honestly I'd prefer just plain regular GT3s - it would cost less for the teams, drivers and OEMs and that means better longevity imho.

EDIT:

While not outright confirming elimination of the class in the FIA World Endurance Championship, the FIA and ACO have stated there will be “rational adjustments” to the WEC grid beginning in 2024, with Hypercar and the newly-named LMGT3 class taking priority.

“To accommodate these two classes comfortably, the ACO and the FIA may possibly restrict admission to the FIA World Endurance Championship to Hypercar and LMGT3 challengers from 2024,” a statement from the FIA and ACO read.
EDIT2:

New quali format, tire warmers banned in WEC and ELMS as expected.

Last edited:
WEC will have a second Middle East round in Qatar from 2024 on, and Glickenhaus plans to be in WEC 2023, still tbd when they would enter the championship. They definitely want to attend Le Mans, maybe with 2 cars but no words on drivers - and they want to return to the Nürburgring. Personally I love the Glickenhaus LMH design, it looks stunning both in red and blue, I'd like to see them more often.

Regarding Qatar I was a bit surprised seeing Lusail, from MotoGP I remembered seeing Losail - turns out both are apparently correct...

WEC will have a second Middle East round in Qatar from 2024 on, and Glickenhaus plans to be in WEC 2023, still tbd when they would enter the championship. They definitely want to attend Le Mans, maybe with 2 cars but no words on drivers - and they want to return to the Nürburgring. Personally I love the Glickenhaus LMH design, it looks stunning both in red and blue, I'd like to see them more often.

Regarding Qatar I was a bit surprised seeing Lusail, from MotoGP I remembered seeing Losail - turns out both are apparently correct...

I knew Penske was keen to try and get WEC to Indy but Toyota didn't want that.

I knew Penske was keen to try and get WEC to Indy but Toyota didn't want that.

Just read the article, interesting. The cynic in me would say that Qatar was willing to pay more than Penske. I don't know the circuit though, no idea how it will be. I can also see Peugeot's point about South America but I'm not particularly familiar with the track there apart from Interlagos. I catch some Argentinian racing action on YouTube but the tracks I've seen don't seem to be ready for WEC - not that they would be bad per se, just don't have the kind of infrastructure like the big name ones. From the market perspective it would be good for Toyota, too I'd say.

Last edited:
Just read the article, interesting. The cynic in me would say that Qatar was willing to pay more than Penske. I don't know the circuit though, no idea how it will be. I can also see Peugeot's point about South America but I'm not particularly familiar with the track there apart from Interlagos. I catch some Argentinian racing action on YouTube but the tracks I've seen don't seem to be ready for WEC - not that they would be bad per se, just don't have the kind of infrastructure like the big name ones. From the market perspective it would be good for Toyota, too I'd say.
F1 raced Lusail last year and is scheduled to go back in 2023 but I thought Qatar was building a new track to host F1 in future years.

Interlagos is the only South American track I know also. I'm sure Argentina and Chile might have some tracks but I just don't know them.

I would like to see the Super Sebring weekend get a proper opportunity to succeed now that the WEC is finally on the upswing again and we hopefully won't be having another global shutdown anytime soon. Having said that I wouldn't blame them for cutting their losses either considering in the 4 years they've tried it 2 were killed by Covid and the other 2 were probably the worst race of the weekend including the support races.

Cadillac will be at Le Mans this year with Action Express. I skipped this year for paying up for watching the race but will have to do it next year and properly follow the race.

Getting back to the Qatar topic: the dailysportscar.com article suggests that Qatar Airways had a strong presence at the event maybe points to better air freight possibilities for WEC.

We also learned about the Ferrari 499P's endurance tests and that it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns - but that was to be expected. Again, Mr. Goodwin has some nice pictures where Mr. Glickenhaus and Kobayashi-san take a good look at the 499P displayed during the Qatar event - and another confirmation that there will be 2 Ferraris in Le Mans.

Potential entering cars for WEC and IMSA for '24 and later.

Welp, guess that Vanwall entry is NOT a go then. Granted I did wonder how they even pulled off getting it while this case was going on.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back