2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Has anyone else in the North Americas noticed a serious connection problem in FIAs since PD merged South America with our region?

I did slot one earlier and had 1 red bar the whole race. I don't think there was any Canadian or US player that was over 3 yellow bars, while every South American player was 4 or 5 green bars. I'm hard wired to my PS4 and never have/had issues. Just in these last 2 rounds of FIA.

Made for a bad race for me, with lots of cars jumping around, etc.

Q13 P13 low A/S lobby, door #18, 86 points and lost 400 DR

May try again..

So I signed with Chevy. Tonight after getting home I had about 15 minutes before the entry opened. I ran a bunch of laps on hards.
I entered and had plate 12. I hit a pretty meh qual lap 44.0.
This places me 14th on the grid. I began in the middle of the chicane!
No prob tcs babe. Lmao.
Anyways an aggressive Aston overtook me and I was sitting fifteenth. I proceeded to settle in and try to find the groove.
Lap sixth I’m up to 12th back past the Aston but he’s pressuring.
I’m running close behind a 911. We had several 3 wide almost and 4 cars side by side into the hairpin.
All UBER CLEAN. I was really getting into the vibe from the outstanding cleanliness of the lobby. Loved that.
The 911 ahead is making headway as guys tires wear and I’m following suit...(I’ve raced here a lot and enjoy the track)
Lap 8 up to tenth...It’s a tight field no one crashed, it’s pretty darned realistic.
A loosely goose Ford GT was causing traffic. The Aston is being very aggressive too. Intense but calm lol. Catalunya has that smoooth groovy seventies vibe...
Lap ten I am still out; the 911 Aston go in I’m all over the Fud GT and get through clean into seventh...
Stayed out another, overtook a Porsche for the lead!
Lol short lived because I pit end of eleven.
I come out 14th haha. Aaaannd ok. At least I’m on softs and there’s a lot of traffic just ahead...
I start overtaking...By lap 15 I take the Aston at the hairpin for ninth...
2 911 are ahead. I overtake one per lap to finish seventh.
This race was totally epic. It reminded me why this game can be great. Everyone played so fair. There wasn’t a single unrealistic move. It was the most fun I’ve had in the game in a VERY long time.
Thank you Chevrolet! The heartbeat of America!

Cheers

Last edited:
One and done for me. It turned out to be a pretty fun race with a few familiar faces, which is always nice. Started P6 after a very ugly Q lap, I was pushing way too hard and the car was squirming all over the place, but I managed not to completely bin it at least. :lol: Gained a spot in T1/L1 when a Porsche 2 cars up went deep, or maybe got bumped, I couldn’t tell. After that it was trying to save tires and fuel, started on Hards and went 11h/6s, so I could push my Softs a bit more if needed. It worked out well and I ended had a fun race with a Jaguar, he seemed to be struggling with his tires a bit, so my tire savings came in handy and I was able to get past him in the end. Finished P4 for 231 points. :)

View attachment 1006010

Hey, Pigems, that was me in the Jag. Really great racing with you and those were some good battles.

When you stayed out at the end of lap 10 I knew that was going to be important later. Smart move and good tire management. I hope to see you in the next one.

Hey, Pigems, that was me in the Jag. Really great racing with you and those were some good battles.

When you stayed out at the end of lap 10 I knew that was going to be important later. Smart move and good tire management. I hope to see you in the next one.

Hey man, great racing tonight, that was a lot of fun! :cheers: Staying out was a last minute decision, I had saved more fuel than I expected too, so when you pitted I decided to stay out and push a little bit on that last lap. It was a gamble, but I got lucky this time and it paid off. I hope to see you again in the next race! :cheers:

First race at >40k DR. Got matched as #2 though so not a whole lot more points on offer than when at 35k.

Qualified 14th... in part thanks to a weird glitch that had my “Car Record” delta wrong... showed me UP on my best FP time of 1:44.0, when in fact I was a second and a half off it... but didn’t realize til the one good hot lap was over. I hadn’t pushed as hard as I could, trying to keep the margin I thought I had without a mistake. Oh well. Not my best track for speed anyway.

Then after running a very clean first half of the race, solidly in the top 10, avoiding all messes, I made the unfortunate decision to try and no stop it, on a whim. Started with fuel saving to avoid refueling, but then realized if I did that, why pit for tires if they are only worth 10-12 sec over six laps and the pit delta was over 20? (Was it??) It didn’t work out, though, as I ended up in first for a moment due to pits, but then slowly conceded position after position running the 1:54 laps that I could run on min fuel flow, having decided way too late to commit to the strategy. Then ran out of fuel at the last turn, to finish 13th. I’m no Alexander Rossi, and could have used a Bryan Herta on the radio to sort out a smarter approach. I otherwise threw away a good top ten in a nice lobby, wasting my only chance to run this round one. Oh well, live and learn. Not a disaster but disappointing, especially as I had raced really well to get into 8th or 9th on the “standard” strategy, with a stint on Softs to play still.

Has anyone else in the North Americas noticed a serious connection problem in FIAs since PD merged South America with our region?

I did slot one earlier and had 1 red bar the whole race. I don't think there was any Canadian or US player that was over 3 yellow bars, while every South American player was 4 or 5 green bars. I'm hard wired to my PS4 and never have/had issues. Just in these last 2 rounds of FIA.

Made for a bad race for me, with lots of cars jumping around, etc.

Q13 P13 low A/S lobby, door #18, 86 points and lost 400 DR

May try again..
100%. Used to run four or five bars, now I’m at three yellow ones most races. Sucks.

Last edited:
One and done for me. It turned out to be a pretty fun race with a few familiar faces, which is always nice. Started P6 after a very ugly Q lap, I was pushing way too hard and the car was squirming all over the place, but I managed not to completely bin it at least. :lol: Gained a spot in T1/L1 when a Porsche 2 cars up went deep, or maybe got bumped, I couldn’t tell. After that it was trying to save tires and fuel, started on Hards and went 11h/6s, so I could push my Softs a bit more if needed. It worked out well and I ended had a fun race with a Jaguar, he seemed to be struggling with his tires a bit, so my tire savings came in handy and I was able to get past him in the end. Finished P4 for 231 points. :)

View attachment 1006010

I choked away a rare for me good qualifier this race. Was the dumb Porsche that overshot T1. Then did the don't refuel button mistake after getting back in decent position & had to pit 2x.

So I signed with Chevy. Tonight after getting home I had about 15 minutes before the entry opened. I ran a bunch of laps on hards.
I entered and had plate 12. I hit a pretty meh qual lap 44.0.
This places me 14th on the grid. I began in the middle of the chicane!
No prob tcs babe. Lmao.
Anyways an aggressive Aston overtook me and I was sitting fifteenth. I proceeded to settle in and try to find the groove.
Lap sixth I’m up to 12th back past the Aston but he’s pressuring.
I’m running close behind a 911. We had several 3 wide almost and 4 cars side by side into the hairpin.
All UBER CLEAN. I was really getting into the vibe from the outstanding cleanliness of the lobby. Loved that.
The 911 ahead is making headway as guys tires wear and I’m following suit...(I’ve raced here a lot and enjoy the track)
Lap 8 up to tenth...It’s a tight field no one crashed, it’s pretty darned realistic.
A loosely goose Ford GT was causing traffic. The Aston is being very aggressive too. Intense but calm lol. Catalunya has that smoooth groovy seventies vibe...
Lap ten I am still out; the 911 Aston go in I’m all over the Fud GT and get through clean into seventh...
Stayed out another, overtook a Porsche for the lead!
Lol short lived because I pit end of eleven.
I come out 14th haha. Aaaannd ok. At least I’m on softs and there’s a lot of traffic just ahead...
I start overtaking...By lap 15 I take the Aston at the hairpin for ninth...
2 911 are ahead. I overtake one per lap to finish seventh.
This race was totally epic. It reminded me why this game can be great. Everyone played so fair. There wasn’t a single unrealistic move. It was the most fun I’ve had in the game in a VERY long time.
Thank you Chevrolet! The heartbeat of America!

Cheers

Ah was that you whose PSN starts with an S with some numbers at the end? I think we were in the same race, albeit I was a bit up ahead (TPC_Gooners, quali was 43.4)

But yeah lobby was clean from what I saw, no dumb moves.

The top 3 including me all started on Hards, to avoid the traffic issues you mentioned. 4th guy started on softs, got by us quick, but he had issues with traffic after pit which cost him. We all pit lap 10 to softs. Undercut was quite strong here (around 3 seconds from H -> S)

I'll keep an eye out for you future FIA rounds :cheers:

Last edited:
Hi all. Lurked here for a while so thought I’d say hello. Been playing for almost a year now so first proper go at FIA this time around. Signed with Porsche for the season proper and couldn’t have had a much better start. Q3 in an low A/S lobby. Went for a 11H/6S strategy that worked out perfectly (except for copping a penalty for hitting the wall on pit entry :lol:). Came out of the pits in 6th but by lap 15 everyone was struggling for grip. Passed 4th midway through final lap and had a run at 2nd in an R8 who was slipping all over the place coming into the final chicane. Unfortunately gave them a tap while trying to pass and conceded 2nd as a result. Very happy with a podium and 144pts.

So how is the Citroen working out for you? Glad you went with it?

So far; yes. It is a bit loose in the corners but it has got decent speed and control. (Think every car is loose on this track anyway).
First time ever that I sort of enjoyed driving Barfcelona. Never did that it the Peugeot or the Renault RSO.
There were two other Citroens in my race, more then I have seen in the past seasons!?

Looking forward to using the Gr 4!

I just don’t know if I can keep doing this. I don’t think I have the skill anymore. And I’m scared for my future.

You would be insane if you are not scared for your future. Think everybody is at the moment, I know I am. Use the game as an escape from real life, and if the game can not do that, find something elso to do. The competitive nature of FIA races just might not suit you at the moment?
It is so important to have activities that take your thoughts away. I do running, scale modelling, reading, gaming etc to forget about real life.

Take care mate!

A lot of this gaming helps, if some would watch real races. At least try to watch the real GT races at certain real circuits we race.

Watching a Blancpain GT3 race at Barcelona helps with a bit of immersion. Also helps to learn some race craft and patience.

For me, that's the thrill I get when racing any in-game car. Then, I try to apply, what I've watched over the years, to the races I'm in.
Yes, many players could care less about real racing, but some of those visuals do have benefits for players.

Signed up with Jaguar and jumped into the F-Type for some laps of Barcelona last night. Had a terrible qualifying session (over a second slower than the consistent 1:45:5's I was running in free practice) and ended up Q9, running the door #1. Lap 1 and I'm in behind an AMG GT3 into the first corner. He runs deep and bounces off the car in front and I collect his rear bumper as he slows into my path. I got a 1s penalty and he took offence at my misfortune, and spent the next three laps purposely trying to run me wide and force penalties. On lap 4 he finally gave up giving me grief - well, maybe it was karma being served because he cut up the inside of some cars at turn 5, tried to run them into the sand, then ended up in the sand himself and dropped to 13th. Never saw him again - he eventually DNF'd - and I managed to have some really good, civilized racing with a number of cars, even holding off the fastest car on the track in the dying laps, to finish 6th. Amazed that people are still picking up 1min penalties, but hey that promoted me a spot! After the first couple of laps, it was a thoroughly enjoyable race!

Nah, figured he would go again as I don't think he enjoyed the fuel saving no stop strategy he tried. Looks like he ended up with 296 points, so guessing he got top 3 in the next race. Plus it's nice to beat guys like him occasionally because he is quite quick :)

On a side note, just tried the Scirocco out at next weeks track, and boy does it seem fast. I'm like 0.6 secs off the fastest time after 5 laps. I think they may need to nerf it unless the tyre wear kills the FF cars in the race.

After trying Hyundai during the Exhibition, I decided to change for something less... boring. The Genesis is super stable and has decent pace but I needed something more fun and challenging, so I chose Ford and the (too) wild GT in gr.3 !

@Jwptexas warned me though about the first couple of combos not being suited for this brand and I can say that he wasn't lying :dopey:
A quick look at the leaderboards in the 3 regions just tells you how bad the GT (or Mustang) performed yesterday... (I'm in EMEA).

Anyway, I did have a lot of fun trying to tame that beast, and the feeling you get when you eat other cars alive on the straight is something that I really missed with the Genesis :mischievous:

However, before signing for the whole 2021 season and maybe regret it, I had to try it out on my alt, just to see if I could manage this type of race without dying of multiple deaths. So after two solid podiums in a row at around 33K, I took all the courage I could find in me and signed with them on my main to enter the last 2 slots (45K DR).

In the first one, I started mid-pack and had an uneventful tyre/fuel-saving race until the last 3 laps where I had an amazing battle with another GT, which I eventually lost to finish 10th for crappy points.

In the last slot, I managed a decent solo Q (1.44.0) which put me 4th on the grid and got me very excited. Sadly, all the excitation turned into frustration after 1 minute of racing, when at the final chicane of the first lap, 5th tried the stupidest move and spun me around, making me dead last. Oh well, I knew this round was more of a "crash test race" anyway so I wasn't even too angry before bed.

Really looking forward to spending the season with those mighty cars! :cool::cheers::cool:

Last edited:
Quick Question:

How much practice would you for the Manufacture races? As I said I had never before put in the time I did for the 1st race as mostly when I have time it would be spent on the daily races and I'm glad I decided to give them a miss for now as I recon I would have quit playing had I continued doing the daily races. I did about 15 races in the run up to the 1st race and had 3 main goals, learn a track I never liked, learn which tyres to run and what order and finally fuel-saving or usage depending on how hard I was pushing. Funny think was I mis-timed my pit exit for qualifying and was 3 seconds too late to get a second lap in but still had pole with 1.2sec slower that may fastest time, I never timed the outlap in practice. Is this the kind of detail people go to in practice.

After trying Hyundai during the Exhibition, I decided to change for something less... boring. The Genesis is super stable and has decent pace but I needed something more fun and challenging, so I chose Ford and the (too) wild GT in gr.3 !

The Genesis was good in my testing but it kept causing problems with my sound bar. No matter what I did it kept making the sound bar make terrible farting noises. Since I couldn’t track down the connection problem I decided not to use it.

;)

Back