2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
If my first practice run for Nations on Saturday is anything to go by, grid starts are going to be chaos in the X2019. Brake balance -5 is highly recommended to preserve the rears as much as possible. Two-stop strategies seem to be the norm, but I managed to gain 6 places on a one-stop (10M-10S) so that might be viable as well.

I was going to skip it too as i assumed it would be hopeless round a tight 'handling track' like that.
Power cars are surprisingly good around there. IIRC a Viper won the race I was in, while I got 4th. Here's a video of some of the overtakes I made:

Granted I had Soft tires while the cars I was racing were on Mediums, but I barely had to fight them to get by at a track that's hard to overtake on. And when I was on Mediums when they were on Softs they had issues getting by me.

If my first practice run for Nations on Saturday is anything to go by, grid starts are going to be chaos in the X2019. Brake balance -5 is highly recommended to preserve the rears as much as possible. Two-stop strategies seem to be the norm, but I managed to gain 6 places on a one-stop (10M-10S) so that might be viable as well.
@Mistah_MCA found the 1 stop to be a decent amount faster than the 2 stop. They also found it to be quicker going flat out and refuelling than it was to fuel save

Man I wish I could've got a good run in qualifying. I knew things were going to get a little messy on this track in the first few laps and it did with cars slamming into the wall left and right. I started 16th and avoided the early chaos plus saving the car from spinning out into the wall later on. Worked up to 6th and tried to run out 5th but couldn't get him. Gained 10 position in the race! I really like this layout but man everyone just goes crazy on this track.

I meant to write up a report last night but my frustrations from the race coupled with familial duties kept me away.

Frustrating is a way to sum up both slots. Finished P10 in both and was the recipient of a lot of pushing and divebombing. I even cut up a video after slot 1 where I practically got pushed off of the track in the final double hairpin losing P9 but at this point I'm so over it. I like this track but I think that this combo and the long sprint with no strategy didn't do anyone any favors. That and I never found any real consistency here. Every now and then I'd bang out a lap almost a full second faster than that I was doing but that only seemed to happen every 8 laps or so...

On the bright side, my DR at the end of the day was exactly what it was at the start of the day. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Power cars are surprisingly good around there. IIRC a Viper won the race I was in, while I got 4th. Here's a video of some of the overtakes I made:

Granted I had Soft tires while the cars I was racing were on Mediums, but I barely had to fight them to get by at a track that's hard to overtake on. And when I was on Mediums when they were on Softs they had issues getting by me.

That Ferrari should have defended way better! Especially letting Pigems through as well, what's going on there?! 😆

I really liked this race last time and Tsukuba is one I'm hoping I can do but it's a 50/50. Need to pack the other half off with the daughter to give me a free afternoon...

One stop will definitely be quicker. I can get 11 laps out of the softs with BB -3, but the time diff (and wear rates) between soft and medium is pretty small, so stints are best dictated by staying in clean air as much as possible.

I'm really looking forward to this one. If you can keep it pointing forwards for the first couple of laps it should open up and be a fun race.

That Ferrari should have defended way better! Especially letting Pigems through as well, what's going on there?! 😆

I really liked this race last time and Tsukuba is one I'm hoping I can do but it's a 50/50. Need to pack the other half off with the daughter to give me a free afternoon...
Not much the Ferrari could've done on Mediums vs. my Softs. When we had opposite tires on during the first stint he was also barely pulling away from me.

I want my point!
Emotion Reaction GIF
I am pretty sure that Seth logan fellow stole your single point just to stay ahead of you. He must have bribed someone at PD!

But seriously: Awesome to see the progress you both are making in the game; + 100 scores, winning races...
Congrats to you both, don't think I will ever reach that...but learning and getting better while trying to keep up:cheers:

This week marks my first attempt to participate in the Manufacturer Series.

I have scored 21 points.

I'd like to thank all of the players who, for whatever reason, did not finish their races. I could not have scored 21 points without them.

I am driving for Ford this season.

And, with 21 points, I am the number one ranked Team Ford player in the state of Nevada.

My Manufacturer Ranking is 186.

My Regional Ranking is 4,218.

Just for finishing my races.

This is a fun game!

Got taken out by an extremely unaware piece of driving in Manu on Wednesday, went on to finish dead last in 20th. The last week or two have been awful, I've fallen from 51K DR down to 44K... maybe 51K was higher than I deserved but it's frustrating to slide back so quickly.

I am pretty sure that Seth logan fellow stole your single point just to stay ahead of you. He must have bribed someone at PD!

But seriously: Awesome to see the progress you both are making in the game; + 100 scores, winning races...
Congrats to you both, don't think I will ever reach that...but learning and getting better while trying to keep up:cheers:
Well if that sneaky Seth fellow did steal it then he didn't add it to his score.

And thank you. You'll get there, you drive really well and are generally faster over a lap than me.

Probably just a coincidence, but i've noticed the Brands race is the same weekend that the GT World Challenge Europe is at Brands Hatch (which i will be attending as usual, with it being my local track living 15 min drive from there! Think i say that every year :lol:). Will probably enter it but that track scares me. Far too easy to put a wheel on the grass and spin off into the sunset. :nervous:

Also, i know its a long way off, but Monza is a 40 min race! No stop too by the looks of it :eek:

Got taken out by an extremely unaware piece of driving in Manu on Wednesday, went on to finish dead last in 20th. The last week or two have been awful, I've fallen from 51K DR down to 44K... maybe 51K was higher than I deserved but it's frustrating to slide back so quickly.

I only just got around to watching that replay tonight. I was worried my evasive maneuvers through that mess had caused your problems. Glad to know it wasnt me but it sucks what happened to you. There was a lit of basic lack of awareness in that lobby. Pretty scary considering that was supposed to be a lot of us around 48k DR. I would have expected better.
See you for Nations in the RB2019 death race?

Last edited:
I only just got around to watching that replay tonight. I was worried my evasive maneuvers through that mess had caused your problems. Glad to know it wasnt me but it sucks what happened to you. There was a lit of basic lack of awareness in that lobby. Pretty scary considering that was supposed to be a lot of us around 48k DR. I would have expected better.
See you for Nations in the RB2019 death race?
Yeah 100%, the driving standards made it feel like I was in a daily race, not an almost A+ FIA race...

Anyway, yep, I'll be there. Should be in the same race, unless I end up at the top of the split below you.

Yeah 100%, the driving standards made it feel like I was in a daily race, not an almost A+ FIA race...

Anyway, yep, I'll be there. Should be in the same race, unless I end up at the top of the split below you.
Might be 3 of us in the same race if I can get into the first slot.

Probably just a coincidence, but i've noticed the Brands race is the same weekend that the GT World Challenge Europe is at Brands Hatch (which i will be attending as usual, with it being my local track living 15 min drive from there! Think i say that every year :lol:). Will probably enter it but that track scares me. Far too easy to put a wheel on the grass and spin off into the sunset. :nervous:

Also, i know its a long way off, but Monza is a 40 min race! No stop too by the looks of it :eek:
PD have often tried to 'sync' their FIA and Daily events with real world races... pretty cool when you catch it. Shows they put some thought into it, and it's fun to catch bits of the real events when the GTS events are so fresh in your mind.

40 minutes! That's the longest FIA event in a long while... and no-stop?! That's going to be a grind. Not one to re-run on the Alt for fun, that's for sure.

Nations - Maggiore East Gr.4
mxZkx9e.jpg

Strategy: 11H-12M with refuel

My qualifying was much better than usual, putting me 6th on the grid. I elected to stick with my usual strategy of starting on the harder compound and saving the softer compound for later.

I held my position on the opening lap, before a familiar Mazda from Sardegna B got the inside into turn 7's hairpin and took 6th off of me. Annoying, but there was little I could do as he pulled away on Mediums. The Marlboro Slophy behind could not reel me in, so I spectated the duel between the Mazda and a Taiwanese Subaru ahead of me, with the former emerging the victor and the duo proceeding to pull away from me.
0X9nmF9.jpg

The Marlboro Slophy finally caught up to me at the start of lap 5, briefly pulling alongside me out of turn 1 before backing out as I held the inside line into the esses. He managed to take the inside of turn 1 the following lap, dropping me to 8th.
BRoInG9.jpg

With the Marlboro pulling away and with a sizable gap to the next three cars behind, I focused on putting in some laps under clean air. 4 laps later, a Japanese Subaru challenged me for 8th. I forced him to back off into the esses, but he came back to outdrag me out of turn 7.
ViV6O17.jpg

Since I was planning to box the following lap, I simply tucked in behind, only for the Subaru to run wide at turn 8, allowing me to get the run on him and reclaim 8th into the final hairpin, holding onto my place for the in lap.

After taking Mediums and fuel at the end of lap 11, I was back up to 7th by the end of lap 13. The Taiwanese from earlier and a Rothman Slophy caught up to me on the next lap, with the latter diving up the inside and forcing me wide to allow the Subaru to follow the Rothman while I dropped down to 9th.
ksHyKnY.jpg

I tucked in behind the Subaru and stayed there for the next few laps, with the Marlboro joining the pack behind me. On lap 16, the four of us caught up to the Mazda, now stuck on Hards. Things kicked off into the final hairpin when the Rothman dove up the inside of the Mazda, slipping through after the Mazda turned in on him. The Taiwanese was the next to pass, outdragging the Mazda down the home straight. With the Marlboro still on my rear and a clearly struggling Mazda directly ahead, I had to find a way past quickly.

The Mazda tried to reel in the Taiwanese for another fight and sensing a possible double overtake, I tried going 3 wide into turn 8 on lap 18.
Z1JMFTi.jpg

The move backfired on me as I had to brake early by taking the inside line, allowing the Marlboro to pass me round the outside. Luckily for me, the Marlboro then found himself completely boxed in with the grass on the right, the Mazda ahead and me on the left, compromising him enough to allow me to retake 8th into the final hairpin.
9jkk3Eq.jpg

The Marlboro then tried repeating the above situation the following lap with our roles reversed, taking the inside of turn 8 to force me to the outside by the final hairpin. It probably would have worked if he had remembered to brake into said hairpin.

The Marlboro's mistake sent himself into a spin and forced the Mazda wide, allowing me to waltz through for 7th.

With clear air ahead and the Mazda behind getting passed by the Japanese Subaru, I focused on chasing the Taiwanese Subaru ahead. However, I completely stuffed up line through the esses on lap 21, allowing the Japanese through. The Japanese then ran into the Taiwanese now on shot Mediums, triggering a Subaru duel over 6th. By the start of lap 22, I had two dueling Subarus ahead with an Alpine Slophy alongside for company.
DjrV4Yy.jpg

I managed to hold off the Alpine before retaking 7th off the Japanese with a move up the inside of turn 7, putting me right behind the Taiwanese.
KvwgJz9.jpg

With the Taiwanese clearly on the ropes, I took the inside into the final hairpin and forced the Taiwanese to take the long way round, before finishing the job by constricting his line into the final corner to claim 6th.
MLIPAbC.jpg

I was now back where I started with one lap to go, but my Mediums were rather worn. I managed to park my Slophy in the right places to fend off the Japanese Subaru and the Alpine to keep 6th for 134 points. One and done.
oO3fcGv.jpg
mJRpDgs.jpg
UT2MLpm.jpg
2uEwwLJ.jpg

The McLaren driver from Interlagos was in this lobby, albeit driving the sole Alfa in the lobby. And his shocking driving standards was on full display here, from spinning an unlucky Citroen to constantly blocking his fellow backmarkers. However, he had neglected to run any practice races in the Alfa and his rears were completely gone by lap 7, sending him down to last and getting lapped by the rest of the field in a beautiful piece of karma. Unsurprisingly, he quitted.

Manufacturers - Red Bull Ring Gr.3

Race 1 was a race to forget, as a catastrophic attempt to qualify under slipstream sent me to the back and kept me there for the entire race.

sEOalce.jpg

Strategy: 12M-7H with refuel

Livery by Raychii_DvR9

Race 2's qualifying was a great improvement, putting me 5th on the grid

LkYMN11.jpg

After barely surviving the opening lap from a close encounter with turn 4's gravel as pictured above, I got back up to 5th to set some laps under clean air. I had a couple of bouts with a Renault, with the second round costing me 5th after I got a track penalty for running a little too wide at Niki Lauda.

WXtoYkw.jpg

After serving the penalty, I nearly lost another place to a Thai Mustang by making a complete hash of turn 4, but just about managed to stay ahead.
D4Y5PUe.jpg

The rest of my stint was uneventful, with my strategy being 'copy the race leader'. Which was what I did on lap 12, boxing for Hards and fuel with the Thai also copying me.

The Thai came out ahead, which proved to be moot anyway as he immediately pitted again, revealing that he was on the 2 stop. I would have realised that earlier had I paid attention to the grid order or the first pit stop; he had started from 15th and worked his way up on Softs.

With my closest rival out of contention, my second stint was completely uneventful besides passing people in the pits. I came home 8th for 123 points in a combo I was dreading. Not bad.

LYSUwNH.jpg
tV7YDRl.jpg

fnkBWQn.jpg

Nations - Seaside Reverse Gr.3

QWljVGD.jpeg

Strategy: 10H-10M without refuel

Qualifying was about where I expected to be, starting 11th. And as is tradition, I overestimated my cold Hards' grip into CoD and slammed the exit wall, causing the Hyundai behind to run into me and propel me into the 4 car pack ahead fighting over 8th. I spent the entire first stint in the midfield, gaining places from others' mistakes and losing them by getting outdragged by down the straights while I was forced to short-shift the gas guzzling Beetle.

I had a close shave with the polesitter on lap 4 when he got shoved off out of the esses by someone's textbook rejoin and was ghosted. Naturally, the game unghosted him right as I was turning in to take the corner, causing me to bump him off.
bLawG7S.jpeg

Now he's ghosted....

ZhPxtJQ.jpeg

Now he's not.

TfW4Rq4.jpeg

Now he's gone.

This is probably the one time I am thankful for the collision penalty system being off, because I would have been incandescent with rage had I got a penalty for that.

Pitting on lap 10 from 10th for Mediums only, I came out 11th, just ahead of the Hyundai I accidentally blocked on lap 1. As he was on Hards, I quickly left him in the dust. Jumping up one place over someone in the pits, I then attempted a pass for 9th, only to fail and watch him pull away.

Luckily for me, however, 5th to 9th were bunching up into one pack ahead, giving me another chance to make up places. I went 3 wide into Slope Hairpin, the tight space and me tunnel visioning on the grey GT-R next to me resulted in me forgetting about the blue GT-R (the same guy from Interlagos and Sardegna B) on the outside. I ran a little too wide and bumped the grey GT-R into the blue GT-R, sending the latter into the wall.
1NYgQts.jpeg
o4zsc5X.jpeg
e8FJTTr.jpeg

I only realised my mistake when I had noticed that one of the GT-Rs was missing on the way up the slope. I apologised to the blue GT-R afterwards.

The grey GT-R re-overtook me into the first hairpin the following lap, leaving me to watch three cars fighting over 6th. 5th had managed to pull a small gap on the trio, but was caught again on lap 17. Stuck on Hards with a pack of Mediums runners right behind him, the Wako's Supra plummeted from 5th to 9th in the final sector of lap 17 alone.
WCtMIV4.jpeg
cjE60mC.jpeg

Despite my best efforts, the trio pulled away from me, leaving me to settle for 8th for 120 points. I had enough close shaves with CoD that race, so I called it a night.

0kZD638.jpeg
7TY2A5q.jpeg
ueH3Tsu.jpeg
ILNPiDn.jpeg
M1X7Kqa.jpeg

Manufacturers - BMB Infield A Gr.3

Livery by Raychii_DvR9

I had high expectations going in to this race, but Race 1 was an unmitigated disaster. Qualifying placed me a disappointing 9th just ahead of Mr Scrappy. I let him past into turn 2, hoping that he would give the frontrunners some grief. Instead, he completely stood on the brakes into the second hairpin, forcing me to barge past him. With the slipstream to 8th well and truly lost, all hell broke loose as everyone turned on each other instead of working together. Mr Scrappy in particular got ahead of the pack and went full defensive on me when we were not even a quarter of the way through the race.

On lap 8, the Subaru ahead of me ran too wide at turns 2 and 3, forcing me to the left. He clipped the grass and swerved into me, annihilating me and any chance of a good result.
WbP8R0b.jpeg
VIAxmQ9.jpeg
5ErhsAn.jpeg
80mYM4v.jpeg

Even though I re-overtook him later on in the race, what really ticked me off was that he did not even bother to apologise for ruining my race with his mistake. He just left.

YOCJOYc.jpeg

I had a brief scare when I saw the dirty Aston from Manufacturers Spa appearing on the loading screen, before the game thankfully ejected him before warm up began, leaving 19 players including @pennanton, a familiar GT-R from Interlagos, Sardegna B and Seaside and the Subaru that wrecked me.

Realising that I needed some slipstream for qualifying, I tried to position myself to start my lap far enough behind slower cars for downforce through Sectors 1 and 2, before catching up enough to enjoy slipstream through Sector 3. The ploy worked, putting me 6th with the added bonus of exacting revenge on the aforementioned Subaru by slipstreaming past him, then taking the inside into turn 1 to ruin one of his flying laps. He wound up starting 16th.

By the end of lap 1, I had managed to stay in the leaders' slipstream while pulling away from those behind me. Then a different GT-R in 3rd ran wide onto the grass at turn 2 and made an idiotic rejoin. For whatever reason, the game did not ghost him, resulting in an Audi, an AMG and me all collecting him, with the Audi and the GT-R getting sent off.

That put me and the AMG up two places at the cost of allowing the pack to catch up to us. I briefly took 3rd off the AMG into the first hairpin, but he promptly reclaimed it down the home straight. I used his slipstream to pull away from the pack again, before losing the tow on lap 6. With the AMG clearly having the faster race pace, I focused on driving conservatively and managing the gap to 5th.

By the halfway point, the familiar GT-R had climbed up to 5th and was now gradually gaining on me. However, my substantial lead and cautious driving was enough for me to retain a 0.8 second gap at the flag for 4th for 152 points.

x4isptB.jpeg
d3cjOun.jpeg
CM6F4Gv.jpeg

I'm dreading the utter trainwreck that tomorrow is going to be....

Last edited:
Completed some more practice runs on the one-stopper this afternoon, including a few runs on BB -4 to reduce understeer and sharpen handling. Surprised myself by setting a new personal best of 1:23.841 in FP and was very close to matching that in qualifying for my most recent test lobby. Still having my fair share of spins, wall collisions, and even jumped the start at one point, but never felt so confident throwing the X2019 around.

Also used the time to revitalise an old livery I had laying around from my last attempt to race with this thing. Feel free to use it for tomorrow's races if you like, but make sure to bring along a pair of sunglasses just in case...

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210806191318.png

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210806191336.png

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210806191505.png

Last edited:
Completed some more practice runs on the one-stopper this afternoon, including a few runs on BB -4 to reduce understeer and sharpen handling. Surprised myself by setting a new personal best of 1:23.841 in FP and was very close to matching that in qualifying for my most recent test lobby. Still having my fair share of spins, wall collisions, and even jumped the start at one point, but never felt so confident throwing the X2019 around.

Also used the time to revitalise an old livery I had laying around from my last attempt to race with this thing. Feel free to use it for tomorrow's races if you like, but make sure to bring along a pair of sunglasses just in case...

View attachment 1072659

View attachment 1072660

View attachment 1072661
Looks like something @xxPinkyKissxx would use.

Here we go for the race of death!

I rage quit this on lap 2. Clipped the inside wall on the fast left before the final hairpin and spun around. Hadn’t done it in any practice lobbies. By the end of lap 1 my tyres were almost 50% worn from the spin and undriveable. Will go again because I have good pace here. Pole in this room suggest a good result is possible.

Another day and another race I should have practiced more for. Fast cars are so unforgiving, the slightest mistake costs loads of time.
Low lobby, got some Cs which didn't help in quali (although I did badly enough without help) So Q10 and no idea on how many laps to do on meds??? Or is a 1M/9S/10S a viable option?
Well that was fun, after the first couple of corners I'm in 3rd, but soon after I'm back in 10th. Got the pace but not the consistency and struggling with people taking corners real slow. Not their fault my fault for having such a low rated account I need to bring it up nearer my level. Mucked up tyres didn't have the BB far enough forward and shredded my rears so ended up doing 8M/7S fuel/5S. Finished 5th and final lap was fastest lap, so it shows I'm fast enough just need to not crash. Can't see me making another one this morning so will try and get some practice and do better in Europe. Good enjoyable race and although there was loads of crashes didn't see any dirty behaviour which is nice.

I rage quit this on lap 2. Clipped the inside wall on the fast left before the final hairpin and spun around. Hadn’t done it in any practice lobbies. By the end of lap 1 my tyres were almost 50% worn from the spin and undriveable. Will go again because I have good pace here. Pole in this room suggest a good result is possible.
First off, congrats on the pole. Looked like you had awesome pace.

Wondered what had happened to you - so frustrating when you make a mistake like that, especially one you've never done before, in the race.

Ended up being a frustrating race for me. Had a dream start - went from 15th to 6th - then my brake pedal decided it wanted to die, and started applying itself completely at random. It's been playing up a little lately but never that bad. Time to spray some contact cleaner - good old G29 potentiometers...

I also spun out of the first hairpin on Lap 16. So, uh, that didn't help either. Wound up in 14th out of 15 finishers.

May go again, not sure. I had decent pace but that brake pedal just did not want to co-operate...

Well I dont have much to write about. Ended up in what looked like a skeleton top split again. But my 10 laps of practice weren't going to cut it against that. Had to push hard. Door 15, qualified p15, finished p15.

Drove up to p12 in the first 2 laps, the caught a cone on track (yes I still have them on) in the fast chicane and spun down to the last corner. Dropped to p16 at that point. Drove back to p14 then had a wobble on to the grass exiting turn 1 and got settled in to p15. Finished there as the 5 behind me quit. Could have pulled maybe p14 but just realistically didn't have much more pace.

On another note, as much as I hate the atrocious lag from the combined manufacturers regions the DR split on lobbies in Nations is ridiculous. I was in a lobby where I was 40k below the top ranked driver in the lobby. This week it was only 22k. But that's just a bit demoralizing.

View attachment 1072659

View attachment 1072660

View attachment 1072661
Beautiful 😍

Latest Posts

Back