2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Slot 2 door 2 in a 190 pt lobby. Qualified 3rd.

Got a decent start but got pushed wide through the left at the church and dropped a few spots. The first hairpin was then a bit of pinball and I got through in p6 with minimal damage done. Had a good few laps before I tapped the inside wall at the left hander before the hairpin and ran a bit wide. Saved it, but lost a second or so to p5. By lap 7 I had caught p5 again and I’m sure he thought I was on softs because he simply moved over and let me pass. Unfortunately on lap 8 I dipped 2 wheels in the grass on exit from the same left hander and bumped the wall. Kept it straight, but got some damage to the front right. I held p5 but lost a lot of time to p4. Pitted lap 10 and rejoined in p7. P6 had leapfrogged me with superior fuel saving but it only took a couple of laps before I was back in front of him. The final pitter entered on lap 13 and I was back into p5 with comfortable gaps in front and behind. The last 6 laps I gained around half a second a lap on p4 but he was out of reach and I brought it home for a p5.

Not as good as it could have been, but much better than the first slot.

Went again and did much better, Q7 and then false start so 15th. Took it easy, sitting behind fighters and picking them off when mistake or violence happened. Pitted on 11 and most were going onto meds so felt good even though I had just been punted so I came out in 10th rather than 8th. Passed a few and was having a good race with a guy on same strategy, he got the best of it and came 3rd. I came 5th, could have taken 4th, but tapped the guy on last hairpin so wouldn't be right. Guy who punted me came 2nd and only 6 secs in front. Deserved 2nd maybe 3rd as the guy I was fighting wouldn't have been slowed by me, but still happy with a mostly clean race and 5th.

Ok, who’s taking the e-type?? 😁
Well it's top of the ranking board so it must be meta. :D

Last edited:
Had a good run tonight.

Qualified in 13th, so opted to start on the Mediums.

Opening lap was a bit chaotic for the first half dozen corners, but by the time everybody sorted themselves out, I was up to P6. Ran as high as P4 with a couple of guys ahead of me making costly mistakes on the left hand sweep towards the second last turn.

Had the car step out on me driving through Turn 2 which saw me into the fence. Along with someone who joined me a few moments later.

Pitted and rejoined in 10th. Drove back through to P6 by race end.

Outstanding stuff in my first all A+ lobby - qualify 7th, 6th doesn't have traction control off the line and puts me in the wall, we're the only two cars who don't make it through turn 1 clean. Then later I catch up to the same guy as he's coming out the pits and miss my braking point into turn 1 trying to get past him and go off. Then later I'm suddenly short on fuel, somehow, so I end up saving like mad the last 5 laps.

Still, outqualified and beat @watto79 so I can't have been that bad

Outstanding stuff in my first all A+ lobby - qualify 7th, 6th doesn't have traction control off the line and puts me in the wall, we're the only two cars who don't make it through turn 1 clean. Then later I catch up to the same guy as he's coming out the pits and miss my braking point into turn 1 trying to get past him and go off. Then later I'm suddenly short on fuel, somehow, so I end up saving like mad the last 5 laps.

Still, outqualified and beat @watto79 so I can't have been that bad
The start was ridiculous, I had a front row seat for your takeout by the no TC hero. I then spun at the chicane on lap 1 because I forgot my tyres were still blocks of ice. I spun again later when I moved over on someone on the back straight (my fault, I thought I'd cleared them).

Welcome to the superior skill of an A+ lobby

Lap 1 chaos

Nations cup Rd. 4

Went in to this one with minimal practice, but figured it might be a fun combo. Only run the nations events that look like they could be enjoyable. (Using my alt)

Lobby is unveiled, door number 8, which isn't great for someone who hasn't practiced.

Qualy wasn't too bad, Q13, which I wasn't too upset about. So opted to start on the medium tyres and play it by ear.

The grid start was chaotic in a word. I need to check the replay, but by T1, I'm up to P9, with 4 cars spinning off from the grid.
Settled in as best I could, tried to avoid any battles. By lap 9 I'm running in P4, (the two fastest guys in the lobby, spun out from the lead a few times).

Came in to the pits on lap 11, to switch over to the softs, with about 30% fuel remaining.

The second stint was about survival and not pushing too hard, once again P1 and P2 spun out, I was overtaken by someone else, put me up to P3 on lap 16. That's where I finished.

Door #8
Q13
P3
+174 points (most I've ever gotten)
+1000 DR

One and done for me, good luck to those yet to run. Also, not to start a debate, but opted to run TCS1 for the whole race, never done that before, personally not quicker with it, but a lot safer with these cars.

EDIT: @Mistah_MCA warned folks in his guide, don't turn off TCS too soon, few people turned if off quickly and spun out.

Last edited:
Qualified 14th after getting my 1st and 3rd laps ruined by a ramming Russian and a Frenchman parking it on the apex, I reached as far as 10th before getting punted off at T1 of L5 by another Frenchman who didn't even get a penalty. I should've known better than to waste my Saturday on this. I'm done with trusting other people and especially this outdated collision physics model with my fun.

Last edited:
Started 10th, got put in the gravel after t1 this time, also got a massive punt into the last corner, also collected a guy who'd tried to go three wide through the chicane and failed, also got a frame drop from someone quitting right in the braking zone for the last corner

There's pace in this combo for me but the amount of luck needed to survive the start and then the rest barely seems to be worth it.

Started 10th, got put in the gravel after t1 this time, also got a massive punt into the last corner, also collected a guy who'd tried to go three wide through the chicane and failed, also got a frame drop from someone quitting right in the braking zone for the last corner

There's pace in this combo for me but the amount of luck needed to survive the start and then the rest barely seems to be worth it.
I don't know, I found it sort of fun and only a few dirty drivers all the rest are just struggling to handle the cars....just like me.

Qualified well in race 1 to start 5th. made a good start and was up to 3rd but all went downhill when I ran into this idiot who braked way to early into a corner and decided to screw me over later.

Second attempt was better and worse. Qualified P10 and worked my way up to p7 when a german decided they didnt want to play fair on lap 9/10. P10, car that ended up 7th span me on the exit of t1. Spaniard span themselves as they tried to squeeze me against a wall.

My first quali lap was ruined as I hit the inside of the fast chicane and got damage. 2nd lap was clean but didn't feel too good and I was surprised to see it put me 2nd on the grid.
Started on the softs and was on the outside for T1 and ended up pushed out down to 7th. Made my way back to 4th by lap 3. Nothing much happened after that other than P2 binning it with 3 to go and in the end it was P3. Probably would've been P2 without the bad lap 1 but still a good result
Keep an eye out for @watto79's highlights as it seemed they had quite the race
PS_App_20210807_041052.jpeg
PS_App_20210807_041059.jpeg
PS_App_20210807_041109.jpeg

Last edited:
My first quali lap was ruined as I hit the inside of the fast chicane and got damage. 2nd lap was clean but didn't feel too good and I was surprised to see it put me 2nd on the grid.
Started on the softs and was on the outside for T1 and ended up pushed out down to 7th. Made my way back to 4th by lap 3. Nothing much happened after that other than P2 binning it with 3 to go and in the end it was P3. Probably would've been P2 without the bad lap 1 but still a good result
Keep an eye out for @watto79's highlights as it seemed they had quite the race
View attachment 1072788View attachment 1072789View attachment 1072790
There's surprisingly few highlights! After qualifying 18th I get spun out on lap 1. Replay is below and while I was frustrated it's clearly a racing incident. The rejoining car means the Dutch racer runs out of space. If I'd moved further over to the right it would have been fine so no fault on anyone else.

I catch up with the pack, make a few passes and pit lap 10. Second stint I think all my "overtakes" were on people binning it in the chicane 😂

So that's my advice. Don't be a no-lift hero taking the chicane flat out and you'll do fine!
Bitter sweet result in a way as I have decent race pace so could have been a lot more, but good fun in hindsight.

PS_App_20210807_051019.jpeg

Well getting back to B/S gives me a decent grid ....well @OJBrit here too. Not bad time, but second lap ruined so Q14. OJBrit did a little better (0.4) but gets Q6 so a tight grid. I have a cunning plan, I'm not going to crash!!!!!

I sort of succeded, I didn't crash....THE GAME DID!!! It was stupidly dirty, people barging and slowing everyone down rather than trying to work together and stay near the leaders. Think it was lap 4 or 5 and we were already 20secs behind and I was 8th-10th depending on who was barging through or crashing. I did well to keep it on the track I think.

This year has brought me a lot of surprises as far as the FIA Championships are concerned... and this is another one! It was a feat getting a solid Top 10 finish in the Super Formulas during Season 1, but in the X2019? Nope, not a chance, not at DR 61K! Then I started practicing and got to the stage where I not only found confidence in chucking the car around Sardegna A, but also started lapping in the high-1:23 range while doing so. Had everything worked in my favour, I genuinely think I could've pulled off a major upset in the 15:00 EMEA slot...

15:00 Nations
After clocking a 1:23.683 during Free Practice, I went into a 20-strong grid also featuring 'Wifi Password' and a professional real-life racing driver in the #20 Alpha Tauri-liveried machine. Learned from a livestream this morning to improve my gear selection for the tighter left-handers, which did have some positive effects on my pace in qualifying and the race. Had the mindset from testing that two consecutive laps on warming tyres would be more beneficial to me than two individual fliers, so despite a less than ideal exit out of Turn 1 a 1:24.647 seemed like a good starting point.

As I started my second lap, four cars all pulled out of pit road to begin their second runs. Flashed my lights furiously to warn them I was on a flier, but to no avail, so any potential advantage was lost. Backed out to start a third lap with only a second to spare, setting a purple first sector and salvaging enough of an improvement to set a 1:24.502 on worn rears. Eight-tenths off the pole-sitting German driver (1:23.698), but only good enough for 13th. Considering that the only other entry to go under the 1:24 barrier was a second German qualifying 2nd, I'm convinced that I would've started on the second row at best if I got anywhere near the 1:23.968 set in testing.

Time to switch to Mediums, put the handbrake on and set traction control to 2...

3... 2... 1... activate!

20210807183746.jpg

20210807183656.jpg

Handbrake off, a clean getaway from the grid. Five seconds in, the #11 in Aston Martin green lights up the rears from 9th and sends the #16 car into the pit wall. At turn 1, a Frenchman (in the #12 shark-face car) misses his braking point and I get pushed like a cue ball into the side of the recovering #11. The #20 Alpha Tauri spins over the gravel and ghosts out of the running; we haven't made it to the end of the first sector and already I am up into 9th. Fended myself off from a Russian at Turn 9, missed the apex at Turn 13 and spun! Straightened out and carried on, but down in 15th with front wing damage and a lot of fuel-saving to do. Had a few more scraps with Shark-face for 13th, passing him under slipstream, but then getting forced onto the grass out of Turn 14 as he again misses his braking point. The very next lap, Shark-face spins out at Turn 13.

20210807183702.jpg

20210807183740.jpg

Slipstreamed past the #19 Frenchman, outbraked the Russian into Turn 9 and climbed back into the Top 10 as the next two cars in front made early pitstops. Two more spin out at different parts of the track, and by the time we pit on Lap 10 for Softs and a top up to 64-65% fuel, we are sitting comfortably in 9th once again. This stint was probably the fastest I had ever driven the X2019 in racing conditions. Jumped the Russian who chose to stay out until Lap 11, passed the #1-ranked Brit on Lap 13 and set a string of high-1:24s until a small off at Turn 13 suggested that the Softs had reached their peak. The #20 loses it there three laps from the end, and so we end up finishing 6th only 7.7 seconds down on the winning #4 Frenchman.

20210807183753.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210807154551.png

Wow! What more can I say? Best points score of Nations Season 2 so far, another DR boost and a fun, consistent run with plenty of speed and slipstream passes. In the X2019! As much as I want to go again and fight for a podium finish, I don't think it's worth sacrificing 235 points for with how unpredictable this combo can get at times.

Cease!

Well getting back to B/S gives me a decent grid ....well @OJBrit here too. Not bad time, but second lap ruined so Q14. OJBrit did a little better (0.4) but gets Q6 so a tight grid. I have a cunning plan, I'm not going to crash!!!!!

I sort of succeded, I didn't crash....THE GAME DID!!! It was stupidly dirty, people barging and slowing everyone down rather than trying to work together and stay near the leaders. Think it was lap 4 or 5 and we were already 20secs behind and I was 8th-10th depending on who was barging through or crashing. I did well to keep it on the track I think.
Sorry to hear the game crashed. I didn't follow your advice and I did have 1 crash.
I went too deep at the final hairpin on my first qualy lap. I wasn't really doing anything special on my second lap but not making any mistakes got me P6 on the grid. I decide to go contra and do mediums first.
Start was epic. Person ahead left like a 2CV and I easily got around. I was a bit too aggressive into turn 1 but kept it clean. I was up to 2nd briefly before 2 behind passed me with a better exit. So back down to 4th but not far away from those ahead. 1 car ahead lost it so I was running 3rd for a few laps. However one lap the car went coming out of turn 1. I spin but thankfully face the right way. I have to come across the grass to get back on track. However as I take the turn ahead the car goes again. Again I face the right way. (Something's not right. I usually face backwards.) This allows me to keep plenty of tyre life. I'm back down to 9th but the car seems stable again. For a few seconds @Norrin Radd appears behind me. Another couple spin ahead. Plenty ahead pit on lap 9 and for a lap I lead the race. Pit lap 10 for fresh softs. I am the lead contra driver. When all shuffles out a lap later after more pitting I am 5th behind a fighting Dane and Spaniard. The Spaniard gets the better of the Dane and I quickly catch him. He must have taken notice of my strat and saw how quick I caught them. He indicates left along the main straight so I take it. Even though I go deep into turn 1 I still don't see him on the radar as he has let me through. Next time along the main straight I am overtaking the Spaniard and he holds station. Fair play to them both. Very clean thoughtful racing. I gap him and take a couple of seconds out of those ahead. The Belgian leading must have made a mistake as he falls to 2nd. They are close and I am hoping they fight and have an accident. They don't and the car behaves for a great podium.
20210807_194639.jpg

Without the spin I genuinely think I'd have had a very good shout for a win. Still can't complain with a podium after said spins.

Well, 1st FIA round I'm able to enter in Season 2 (I did the last 3 slots), I could/should've chosen a kinder car for the comeback :lol:

I felt strong in FP with a 1.23.5xx before entering the 1st 290-point lobby but when I had to deal with tyre-wear and other (stupid) drivers around me, it was another story.... 3 DFL in a row :crazy:

I should definitely work on my race pace/craft instead of time trialing. Or maybe go play Dirt Rally haha

And WOW my ears are almost dead after 3 hours of such annoying sound, I had to set the volume to half the level as usual to make it bearable ! 😳

Good Luck to everyone racing in NA. Don't forget your earplugs !

Last edited:
FIA Gran Turismo Championship // Nations Cup
2021 Series - Season 2 - Round 4
Sardegna - Road Track - A - Red Bull X2019 Competition

Was happy to see teammates @watto79 and @C_Raccoon23 gridded with me. @OGMowerman and some other familiar PSN were also matched in this room, which was about 38k DR on average. Was looking forward to this race, because I have really liked racing the X2019 in prior events.

Put in a solid QT on my banker lap, but then tried to push it a bit... on my third and final attempted lap, I had pole time all the way into the last (real) turn... and I SPUN THE TIRES! I was crushed... I had pole, it was a hella flyer of a lap... with no tow, but that's racing. I was just glad that for the first time ever, I think my QT was faster than anything I had run in FP... even without the slipstream.

Lined up 6th as it was, with Raccoon up ahead in 3rd, and Watto stuck way back there in 18th. Always cool to see the variety of liveries in these spec races... I was sort of bummed I had prepared a personal livery for it, instead of sharing the TPC livery with Raccoon.

I knew carnage could ensue on the grid start, so I was really careful to get a clean rollaway (and I did) and then protect myself into the first hairpin turn... as it was, I did get hit pretty hard from behind, but because I've learned to defend myself better, it really didn't hurt me, and in fact propelled me off the apex so that I could consolidate 5th when another guy (I think the pole sitter) binned it on exit.

Made my way up to 4th right after that, and was closing in on Raccoon for a short time. But he would soon start to pull away from me... I just couldn't keep up with him, even on the S's I started on. Proceeded to settle in and even though I lost a position once, after a slight mistake left me vulnerable to the draft later on the main straight, I was able to send into T1 (admittedly kind of unplanned, as I had gained more top speed on the draft myself and had to nail the braking... but I pulled it off!) and recover the spot, which I then was able to pull away and protect the rest of the first stint.

Pitted, short-filled just a little, knowing that it's easier to conserve a little fuel on the H's anyway, and then hoped I was still in the top 5 after the pit cycle. Watto came out right on my six, and from there he protected me and pushed me for the whole second half of the race, while we managed a larger gap behind him.

It was awesome to be part of the team earning 3 of the top 5 spots, and I am really happy that I have piled up better FIA points than ever in this season. Things have been working out really well and my pace has been good enough to hang when I've found myself in the front of the pack. Could change again for the worse, any time, but I'll ride this nice little wave out!

#8 / Q6 / R4 ...about 1000 DR, 163 FIA points... hella lotta fun (and one splitting headache from the sound and need to concentrate like that at the same time!)

1628378979956.png

As close to I got to @C_Raccoon23 before he pulled away and went on to take the win... congrats!

1628379365051.png

Big thanks to @watto79 for all the help second stint... we had the guys behind us covered.

Last edited:
Whether they're struggling or dirty doesn't matter, with a track like this it's really easy to collect people and completely ruin their race.
I finished my race with a red S and wasn’t sure why. When I watched the replay I realized I finished someone else’s race inadvertently. He’s a perpetually aggressive driver who had dived under me and into the guy in front of me at the first hairpin. They both went wide and I went through underneath. What I didn’t realize was the aggressor had almost held on to it and stayed beside me into the right hander. He then lost the rear and I contacted him stopping him from being able to save it.

I don’t feel too guilty about it because he shouldn’t have dived into the car in front and I had literally nowhere to go, but he probably thought I drove dirty. This combo was so unforgiving. It’s part of what I love about the Red Bull car.

Slot 1:
Once again got thrown into Top Split where I didn't stand a chance of doing well. However unlike last week, I managed to not qualify last and instead started P15.The first few corners were chaos as expected, but it looked like almost everyone survived the first sector. I made up a few spots and almost got into the Top 10, then gradually dropped them until I was back in P15. Several of the front runners had bad races and I ultimately finished P14 for 174 points and over 200 DR gained.

Slot 2:
In still a reasonably stacked Top Split, I qualified 12th and once again finished one spot better than I started for P11 and 191 points (though it originally said 188).

Slot 3:
This time in a much more depleted Top Split, I qualified 6th. Like the first 2 races, I opted to start on Mediums. I dropped down to 7th after the first corner when someone made a brave move around the outside and made it stick. I then found myself in 5th after the penultimate left-hander caught out 2 people in front of me. A certain notorious a-hole started on Softs from 19th and by the start of Lap 2 was (literally) on my gearbox and shoving me at every braking zone. I know his game so I left the inside open going into the 2nd hairpin and released him to go after someone else, hoping he'd either take himself out doing something dumb, or when we swapped tires and I was on the Softs later in the race I could get by him quickly enough without issue. When positions were sorted and things settled down a bit, I was in 7th. After the pit stops, both my predictions came true, and the aforementioned a-hole got caught by those of us who were now on Softs, then lost it on his own out of T5 after a failed attempt to take out the car directly in front of me. Someone else further ahead also lost it out of the final hairpin and gifted me P5, which is where I finished to once again gain 1 spot over where I qualified, with 4th place 5s up the road, and @kevinddr in 3rd much further ahead. This one was worth 226 points so I'm calling it a night.

Last edited:
Back