2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Dumb question - how can you tell which door/slot you're in for the FIA races?
Door number is basically the number you have on your car, which is the same as the number the game shows next to your name in the entry list, right after matchmaking. That list is sorted by driver rating, in descending order. If you are B-rated or higher and you are door N, you can safely assume you are the Nth best DR in the lobby. Since the game sorts alphabetically rather than numerically, that is not always true for C and D-rated drivers.

As for which split you are in, there's no definite way to be sure, as far as I know. If you see World Tour S-rated drivers in your lobby, you are in top split. From there, it's just an assumption based on the number of points on offer.

Last edited:
Thanks so much - I figured the door number was based on DR (though sometimes in the daily races it seems a bit messed up....there have been times where I was the only A+ driver but not had the #1....). I figured there was no way to tell which split apart from knowing the drivers (I've been against the winner of our nations cup a bunch of times, so safe to assume that's the top split...)

Door number is based on DR as others have mentioned. As for the split, mainly the DR rank of the drivers you are up against and the amount of points offered for the race winner. It will be contingent on region, series, slot and the combo but as of this post, top split rooms will be high 300s to over 400 points for the victory. Knowing what your current DR is will give you a general idea whether you'll be in a higher split room or not.

Hello racers!

I’m new here. But I’ve been a reader of the boards for a year or two.

Anyone else here drive for Peugote?
Todays Monza seem to me a copy of last years and there seem to be a problem/bug for this race with the RCZ. The rear right tyre gets colder for each lap, even though I’m on BB +5. So that after 3-4 laps the 2nd chicane turning left becomes nearly impossible without spinning out. I believe this to be a bug and not just uneven tyre wear since the rear right gets cold even in FP. Anyone else? Any ideas for a workaround?
Welcome. :gtpflag:

As a front wheel drive car the GR4 Pug can easily loose temp in it's rear right at Monza. There are only 3 left handers and only Ascari is somewhat fast. The only extra solution apart from the brake balance is to swerve slightly on the straights, but only if it is safe to do so. Otherwise you'll have to go for slower entries to keep it on the track.

Edit: I’ve been playing this game for a long time now and only just discovered by accident, just before the matchmaking screen that when you press up on the ‘Session Best’ hud, it changes to ‘Car Record’ :embarrassed::lol:
I only learnt that this week too.
The game even gave me an extra point for a final tally of 258 points after I exited the lobby.
That's the point the game took off me in an earlier round. Can I have it back please?

I've sat out the last 2 FIA's and think I've all but 'retired' from sport-mode. It's not really a competition anymore, just a video game using car avatars where people will do whatever it takes to get to the end first. It just isn't any fun, for me. I don't really care if I finish last because I'm too slow, but I do care if I finish last because the same half dozen players continuously ruin the 'races' for any and all around them.

I can't wait to find a video card at a reasonable price so I can finish my PC build and find a game that will match me up with like-minded players, and one that will actually punish the trolls.

Last edited:

My Monza experience was an interesting one. Had a really enjoyable race in the GTR and finished 7th, despite some crazy dive bombing going on. Thought I'd have another race later on....completely butchered qualifying, moved up from 19th to 11th on lap 2....then my video signal blacked out for a couple of a seconds and i was in the fence when it came back on. Furious. Apologies to anyone I binned. Off to JBHifi to buy some new HDMI cables....

What’s your current DR? I was in Nations second split at Kyoto with a DR of around 45k. For Manu I have no idea what split I was but I suspect around 4 or 5.

Power cars are surprisingly good around there. IIRC a Viper won the race I was in, while I got 4th. Here's a video of some of the overtakes I made:

Granted I had Soft tires while the cars I was racing were on Mediums, but I barely had to fight them to get by at a track that's hard to overtake on. And when I was on Mediums when they were on Softs they had issues getting by me.

Gave Tsukuba a try and have to admit, the Vette feels great fun round there! You were right ;).I'm currently on a 0:52.2 with an optimum of 52.0. I just can't get that final turn right. Thats where i'm losing time. I know its very early days but sitting as 78th fastest in EMEA so far 🤯

Last time FIA was there i was driving the RCZ. Lots of punts. I remember @Zorz being in my race and getting completely wiped out at the final hairpin.

I've sat out the last 2 FIA's and think I've all but 'retired' from sport-mode. It's not really a competition anymore, just a video game using car avatars where people will do whatever it takes to get to the end first. It just isn't any fun, for me. I don't really care if I finish last because I'm too slow, but I do care if I finish last because the same half dozen players continuously ruin the 'races' for any and all around them.

I can't wait to find a video card at a reasonable price so I can finish my PC build and find a game that will match me up with like-minded players, and one that will actually punish the trolls.
Just posted something similar in the Daily Races thread. As you say, it's just not racing anymore in most of the lobbies.

But FIAs are OK for me, I'd say 80-90% of the players I'm matched against are fair... Of course some infamous drivers should've banned a long time ago (see what happened to @kirethk in slot 1 at Monza...) but that's PD's fault entirely.

What's your region and DR? When I read here some reports of Oceania and America high splits, I feel lucky to be in EMEA but maybe it's just a false idea.

Last edited:
Thanks so much - I figured the door number was based on DR (though sometimes in the daily races it seems a bit messed up....there have been times where I was the only A+ driver but not had the #1....). I figured there was no way to tell which split apart from knowing the drivers (I've been against the winner of our nations cup a bunch of times, so safe to assume that's the top split...)
It's not based on plain numerical sorting as you'd think, but reverse alphabetical sorting.

You know when you sort files A-Z in Windows and it places file _10 between file _1 and file _2? That, but in reverse. That would mean that if you had, say, 50,000 DR (A+), you'd be ranked behind someone who has 6,000 DR... or 9 DR.

Last time FIA was there i was driving the RCZ. Lots of punts. I remember @Zorz being in my race and getting completely wiped out at the final hairpin.
Hah, I'd forgotten about that. Just went back to look at the video to remember how it went down. The Subaru completely missed it's braking point and slammed into my rear right corner whilst I was mid-turn, spinning me out. I think I'd managed to avoid trouble the whole way as well only to get taken out on lap 34 out of 37. :grumpy:

Kind of glad I'm taking a break until the next exhibition season really. I see Saturday was Group 4 Monza; I've never gotten on well with Monza. I don't think I have the willpower to do Group 3 Tsukuba again right now either. :lol:

I'm in North America and my DR is usually in the low to mid 30K to 35K range, so low A. It's the same dirty players, over and over and over again, that have turned me off almost completely.
A friend of mine is low A, he literally cannot make it 5 laps without being punted. You have to drive in your rear view mirror constantly. I can see where you are frustrated.

@Geauxgreddy yeah it's frustrating. When the game is good, it's really good and a lot of fun (win or lose). What's not fun is coming home after work, after looking forward all day to racing, and see the lobby screen open up and you just know what's going to happen in the next half an hour or so. Sometimes as early as turn 1, lap 1. It's to the point where some of these dirty pukes openly mock the lobby before and after the race just because they are well aware nothing is going to happen to them and they'll be back to do it all over again in the next slot.

What’s your current DR? I was in Nations second split at Kyoto with a DR of around 45k. For Manu I have no idea what split I was but I suspect around 4 or 5.
My DR is currently at 46k (it took a massive hit with my rage quit after the technical issues) - I'm usually on the border of A/A+. There are some really good, clean racers in our region, and there are a couple of absolute clowns (there's a guy uu10927 or something who is the dead set worst), but all you need to do is look in the mirror because you know what's coming when they are behind...

Have had some good races in race A this week with those poxy Daihatsu cars at Goodwood. My qualy time is in the top 10 in the region.....for now....though the usual suspects haven't posted times yet.

Last edited:
My DR is currently at 46k (it took a massive hit with my rage quit after the technical issues) - I'm usually on the border of A/A+. There are some really good, clean racers in our region, and there are a couple of absolute clowns (there's a guy uu10927 or something who is the dead set worst), but all you need to do is look in the mirror because you know what's coming when they are behind...

Have had some good races in race A this week with those poxy Daihatsu cars at Goodwood. My qualy time is in the top 10 in the region.....for now....though the usual suspects haven't posted times yet.

With that DR it’s safe to assume you’l be in either top or second split for Nations. Manu is harder to say because of the Asia region. I’d guess maybe 3rd or 4th at low A+ .

The top 2 to 3 splits in Oceania are generally good clean racing. It starts to get more problematic at low A.

I haven’t yet found a “clean” split in Asia.

The top 2 to 3 splits in Oceania are generally good clean racing. It starts to get more problematic at low A.

I haven’t yet found a “clean” split in Asia.
Fully agree with this, it's the main reason I've pretty much given up on the Manufacturer's series - racing against almost all the same people each week, I know what to expect in the top 2 or 3 Oceania splits, but Asia is a massive mixed bag because it's different people each round. Would love it if they split the regions again.

Fully agree with this, it's the main reason I've pretty much given up on the Manufacturer's series - racing against almost all the same people each week, I know what to expect in the top 2 or 3 Oceania splits, but Asia is a massive mixed bag because it's different people each round. Would love it if they split the regions again.
Our current level for Nations is probably the best, most predictable racing I've ever had in GT Sport. Everyone is pretty respectful and even those who aren't are manageable. To be honest, it's just about the only thing keeping me in sport mode at the moment.

I have no doubt this post will be the cue for some sort of heinous adventure at RBR this week now. :D

Gave Tsukuba a try and have to admit, the Vette feels great fun round there! You were right ;).I'm currently on a 0:52.2 with an optimum of 52.0. I just can't get that final turn right. Thats where i'm losing time. I know its very early days but sitting as 78th fastest in EMEA so far 🤯

Wow you're only half a tenth off my best time so far! I didn't check my optimal time, but it's probably not any quicker than yours. Looks like you're in for a great result on Saturday! For the final turn, aim for a late apex. Stay in the middle of the track until you're maybe halfway through the corner, then turn the car in more and try to clip the curb.

Welcome. :gtpflag:

As a front wheel drive car the GR4 Pug can easily loose temp in it's rear right at Monza. There are only 3 left handers and only Ascari is somewhat fast. The only extra solution apart from the brake balance is to swerve slightly on the straights, but only if it is safe to do so. Otherwise you'll have to go for slower entries to keep it on the track.

I only learnt that this week too.

That's the point the game took off me in an earlier round. Can I have it back please?
Thank you!

Yes, after much trouble and many laps I found ways to get around without falling of the earth but not without significant loss of speed. Then again, way faster than eating gravel for 20 laps straight 😁

I may've missed this latest Manufacturers Series round at Monza, but it was well worth missing, as the wedding I was a bridesman in was a blast! Unfortunately, the next round is the Gr.3 race at Tsukuba, so I'll be skipping that in favor of doing all the remaining rounds after that, being at Maggiore and then Fuji. Frankly, I'd be a bit surprised at this point if there was a third season after this, but I'd be down for it regardless.

Last edited:
Have just run the Vantage around Tsukuba a few times. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to put Group 3 cars on a karting track? I’d rather pull out all my toenails than fight with that combo and the inevitable divebombers.
I think it is going to be a blast. Enjoyable and frustrating in equal measure.
My car should have all the abilities to go well.
Handles well and has the grunt for the back straight.
But there are issues over a couple of corners for me.
The right before the Dunlop bridge and the final corner. Both will be my trouble corners.
The gearing is just wrong for them too. I hit the limiter of 2nd just before the first one but a lift will do for FP. Dangerous in the race. High revs and an MR car + a fast sweeper = ☠️
Last corner I feel It's not worth that last change up as it is too close to the corner, but again it is a fast sweeping corner.
The car can go round by itself to it's own merriment. But yeah I suspect it'll be a prime target for a divebomb too. :nervous:

I think it is going to be a blast. Enjoyable and frustrating in equal measure.
My car should have all the abilities to go well.
Handles well and has the grunt for the back straight.
But there are issues over a couple of corners for me.
The right before the Dunlop bridge and the final corner. Both will be my trouble corners.
The gearing is just wrong for them too. I hit the limiter of 2nd just before the first one but a lift will do for FP. Dangerous in the race. High revs and an MR car + a fast sweeper = ☠️
Last corner I feel It's not worth that last change up as it is too close to the corner, but again it is a fast sweeping corner.
The car can go round by itself to it's own merriment. But yeah I suspect it'll be a prime target for a divebomb too. :nervous:
I'm also looking forward to it. For some reason it suits the power and handling cars equally well despite being a short track with lots of corners and no high-speed sections. Also with the high grip, manageable tire wear, and short pit times, it's a great track to really be aggressive with for the whole race. This round has been marked on my mental calendar since they first released the schedule.

For the right-hander before the Dunlop bridge, I typically brake just as I drive over the shadow that runs across the entire width of the track, and I don't do a full brake application so I can make sure I get the car rotated. I trail brake deep into the corner and make sure I don't use up the entire width on exit so I can take a wider arc into the left sweeper immediately afterwards.

Last edited:
I'm also looking forward to it. For some reason it suits the power and handling cars equally well despite being a short track with lots of corners and no high-speed sections. Also with the high grip, manageable tire wear, and short pit times, it's a great track to really be aggressive with for the whole race. This round has been marked on my mental calendar since they first released the schedule.

For the right-hander before the Dunlop bridge, I typically brake just as I drive over the shadow that runs across the entire width of the track, and I don't do a full brake application so I can make sure I get the car rotated. I trail brake deep into the corner and make sure I don't use up the entire width on exit so I can take a wider arc into the left sweeper immediately afterwards.
Yeah I feel I will have to do a comfort brake before it during the race.

Yeah I feel I will have to do a comfort brake before it during the race.
Honestly I think that's the only way to be quick around here. I just can't see anyone only lifting through there. Then again I haven't watched any FP replays, and the Corvette isn't exactly known for its ability to corner in the game...

I was in that race too and I did better than I was expecting. Somehow doubt I'd manage that this time.

As for the people I normally see in my splits at the bottom end of A+ in EMEA, pretty much every race I've done for the past year I've recognised close to half the field. The occasional dick shows up but I don't really have problems with regulars.

Last edited:
I was in that race too and I did better than I was expecting. Somehow doubt I'd manage that this time.

As for the people I normally see in my splits at the bottom end of A+ in EMEA, pretty much every race I've done for the past year I've recognised close to half the field. The occasional dick shows up but I don't really have problems with regulars.
Oh yes forgot you were in the race too! Probably as you’re now an A+ Superstar and not down with us riff raff ;):lol:

Anyone run any tests for nations tomorrow?
I have. My summary:
-Trying to save tires won't do much to improve tire wear, but will cost you a few tenths per lap.
-Rear tire wear gets noticeable on corner exit between lap 13 and 15.
-Curbs can be treacherous and unpredictable if you run over them with the outside tires on exit once wear sets in.
-Pitting is definitely slower overall.

Also, Mistah MCA also has a thorough vid on this as usual:

Last edited:
Back