2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Testing for tomorrow's Nations has been consistent so far. Set FP laps in all three 2016-spec cars, but the RC F is the only one I've managed to dip under the 1:21s with. So, I'm going with it again in the 246 Press livery that I have recently put up on Discover for everyone to use.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210906173018.png

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210906173050.png

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210906173104.png

Best lap in 'qualifying' is currently a 1:21.620; the two races I managed to complete were in a total time within the low-23:56s. Could shave a few seconds off those if I don't go in too deep under braking at Remus. Looking to be another no-stop race on Hards, which as I found out will require extra care when it comes to tyre life and managing sudden oversteer on corner exits.

Testing for tomorrow's Nations has been consistent so far. Set FP laps in all three 2016-spec cars, but the RC F is the only one I've managed to dip under the 1:21s with. So, I'm going with it again in the 246 Press livery that I have recently put up on Discover for everyone to use.

View attachment 1078725

View attachment 1078726

View attachment 1078727

Best lap in 'qualifying' is currently a 1:21.620; the two races I managed to complete were in a total time within the low-23:56s. Could shave a few seconds off those if I don't go in too deep under braking at Remus. Looking to be another no-stop race on Hards, which as I found out will require extra care when it comes to tyre life and managing sudden oversteer on corner exits.
I ask this to you but it could be a general question: do you activate a top10 ghost when doing FP?

Because I'm always quite a lot faster with ghost than without. Like 2-3 tenths here (20.9 vs 21.1-2)... I just wonder if I should stop doing that and learn my own lines, without trying to copy someone else, in the long term would I get better? 🤔

Last edited:
I ask this to you but it could be a general question: do you activate a top10 ghost when doing FP?

Because I'm always quite a lot faster with ghost than without. Like 2-3 tenths here (20.9 vs 21.1-2)... I just wonder if I should stop doing that and learn my own lines, without trying to copy someone else, in the long term would I get better? 🤔
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Top 10 ghosts and replays have helped improve my laps significantly whenever I've needed more time to get up to speed, and in most cases they're still a useful reference for working out braking zones and ideal lines to take for certain corners. You may find that they also highlight differences in performance/handling between different car models in each category, if the laps happen to be set in the 'meta' car(s) for a given combo.

There are still certain things the Top 10 drivers do that are beyond my abilities/comfort zone as a pad player. So, my best advice is to learn as much from their ghosts as possible and adapt whichever techniques you feel most comfortable replicating to suit your own driving style.

Have just run the Vantage around Tsukuba a few times. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to put Group 3 cars on a karting track? I’d rather pull out all my toenails than fight with that combo and the inevitable divebombers.
I had a blast in the Jag last time we did this combo. It had great grunt out of the corner sand I had a banging strategy pit battle with another guy that I just lost out on. We did have penalties on back then though.

I was frustrated in the Asia Manu lobbies as there is a massive culture difference in racing styles. That and then my mental attitude to racing in FIA went sour so I decided to quit and do other stuff for fun. If you can get the Aston to turn you might end up all right.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Top 10 ghosts and replays have helped improve my laps significantly whenever I've needed more time to get up to speed, and in most cases they're still a useful reference for working out braking zones and ideal lines to take for certain corners. You may find that they also highlight differences in performance/handling between different car models in each category, if the laps happen to be set in the 'meta' car(s) for a given combo.

There are still certain things the Top 10 drivers do that are beyond my abilities/comfort zone as a pad player. So, my best advice is to learn as much from their ghosts as possible and adapt whichever techniques you feel most comfortable replicating to suit your own driving style.
Thanks for the advice, I think I have yet to find my "driving style" though haha. I still need to understand how each type (category, drive train) of car must be handled to get the most out of it.

Didn't know you were a pad player, impressive. I know it can be as fast as a wheel but I just hate the feeling.

Think it's no stop so Q2 and sitting on hards hoping I've got this right. Getting to nearly like this circuit and am at least competitive. Well came 2nd in a decent race. I made too many mistakes or would have won. Really close with some good clean racing I really had fun for a change.
Yeah pitting is for mugs. 3rd had about 12 secs on us as he pitted lap 12 IIRK going onto meds and he was close to me (about 2 secs at the end) but we were fighting hard on worn tyres so had it looked dodgy I would have backed off to keep our speed up.

Forgot to take a picture at the end of the race. I was the only Lexus with all Nissans. Watched many cars pit, which I certainly didn’t. Clean battle at the end for Position 2, but got swallowed up to finish fifth place. Someone said me and the other player ruined their second place finish. Could not see how, when me and the other player were battling for second and that player only caught us on the last lap. The player that finished second, was the one that sent it submarine mail at Turn 2 and ruined me and the other player’s battle. Had a chuckle that it could have been worse. That’s it for another long while.

Ran slot 1. Long story short, I got caught between trying to save tyres and trying not to lose too much ground. In the end I couldn’t do either and just made my way slowly backwards through the field as my tyres lost all their grip.

Also, is it just me or has the cold tyre effect ramped right up? I lost the back end in lap 1 even though I was being super conservative. That hadn’t remotely happened in any of my lobby practice.

Also, is it just me or has the cold tyre effect ramped right up? I lost the back end in lap 1 even though I was being super conservative. That hadn’t remotely happened in any of my lobby practice.
I think it's just the extra wait time which means the tyres are even colder on cars that are sketchy on hards in the first place

I'm a one an done also.

Set a time .8 seconds off the pole, however that was only good enough for 18th.

Ran a fairly clean race (couple of bumps here and there) and ran as high as 9th jumping some who did a 1 stopper. Came home in 13th so the points won't count. But it was a better race than the last time we ran this combo.

Had one of the best dices I've ever had in a race anywhere in the 2nd slot. As tidy as it gets:

Of course just afterwards GTS reminds me that it can't ever be perfect and gives me a dose of its BS traction physics:

Which destroyed what otherwise would have been a handsome points total in a good split.

Mate, I don’t know what kind of “magical car” your daily drive is, but I’m forever losing it and spinning in my Subaru when I touch a white line on the road. Some days I spin 4 times before I reach the end of my street. Thank god for the airbags.:D

Last edited:
7A1FEE69-BC0F-4757-9B42-9052B0D10502.jpeg

One and done for tonight! Never miss a round that has the GR.2 RCF as an option. Love it!

Started 2nd but would have had pole but got held up by a slow car on final bend when I was half a second up.

Went for Hards only wondering how many others had picked the same. Turned out just 2 of us in top 6 were no stopping. Fell to 3rd at the start and had the other no stopper for company for most the race. He finally fell right back when tire wear got bad. Second place who was a one stopper was 4.5 seconds behind me with 3 laps to go. Almost caught me at the end. One more lap and he would have had me. Car was scary on destroyed tires on the last lap!

5EE33F65-4050-4D1B-9355-DCDB79EB0C9B.jpeg

Both my quali laps were clean but nothing amazing and my best one was good enough for P8.
Lost a position right at the start as I shifted up to 2nd gear too quickly but gained 1 back after an incident up ahead. After that it was just trying not to make any mistakes and pick off any positions when you could, though up ahead it seemed to be a fairly clean race so only gained 2 positions in the end to finish P6
17bc64d5d1e-de513DA5FFD3E028F0C.303E2748B5B5F40F_message_417566586001816_1631119476569.jpg
17bc64d84cc-de513DA5FFD3E028F0C.303E2748B5B5F40F_message_417566587626941_1631119482917.jpg

One of only 2 people to go no stop and it worked.
Door 5
Qualified 8th.
Start was slow as I was the only one around me on hards. I outbraked myself into turn 1 and Remus (but less so.) I was down to 11th after lap 1. However I then witnessed the first piece of outstanding sportsmanship and clean driving. Turn 4 lap 2 and the Spaniard ahead outbraked himself. Rather than play bowling ball he immediately swung right to avoid everyone. Coming out of wurth and onto the straight 2 cars were in the barriers. I was sitting in 9th by this point. A Dane in a Lexus ahead knocked another driver wide later on at turn 4. Going into Wurth he pulled aside to let him back through. I was already ahead of them because of his previous move. Another great bit of sportsmanship. I was able to keep up with the group ahead for the next few laps. Eventually everyone decided to pit from their wearing mediums. My tyres still felt great. Eventually I was P2 behind another no stopper. All I had to do was bring it home. The only thing to worry about was the Italian in P1 before the stops who just ran away from the field. He eventually made his way through and I of course did not fight it. Another Brit closed in towards the end. By now my tyres were feeling 2nd hand. I never felt like I was going to spin out but my laptimes plummeted.
I am now 4th and manage to hold on against a closing Spaniard glad it was 17 laps and not 18.
20210908_190121.jpg

Managed to increase my points total by 7 and at my highest DR ever.
Also was glad to see a few great examples of sportsmanship and a generally clean race.

Second 2021 outing in the Lexus (fourth if you count the two Gr.2 Daily Cs I did a while back), and another case for it as a worthy challenger against the Godzillas. Made one attempt in the 17:00 EMEA slot which proved to be more than enough for me in the late summer heat.

17:00 Nations
Turned up to my lobby as the highest-ranked of the four RC Fs (driver door #1), in a split also containing 'Wifi Password' at the wheel of one of two Hondas. Expected a tough qualifying session and it didn't fail to deliver: first lap was a 1:21.978 which put me towards the back. Thought there was plenty of room for improvement, so went out again with a faster out lap and surprised myself with a 1:21.572, just under five-hundredths off my best in test lobbies. Started around three-tenths off the pole-sitting GT-R in 9th place.

Knew from testing that grip on cold and worn tyres was going to be a recurring issue, but soon found out that the longer fuel-burning process would help me out considerably in those areas. As I later found out in my replay, everyone went out on Hards except for the #7 AVT Nissan starting right behind me. Given how much time one-stoppers lost in the lobbies I took part in, I doubt he would've got any more out of that softer compound.

Set brake balance to -4 and spent the first couple of corners following the #17 Makita GT-R around. Kept to the outside entering Remus, which allowed me to survive a lunge from the #7 as the #11 Honda (not 'Wifi Password') spun out of 4th over the yellow rumble strip. Had intended to stick with my tactic of using fuel mixes as traction control, but was forced to abandon it upon catching up with the #10 GT-R just before Rindt. Soaked up more pressure from the #7 as we all took to the inside kerb of Turn 10; the #10 and #7 both picking up penalties. Took 7th from the #10 and held him off long enough until he picked up a second penalty a few laps later. Gained a couple more places through separate incidents involving the #4 and #8 Nissans; the #8 managing to save a 360-degree spin after touching the gravel coming out of Schlossgold. Both were running 2nd at the time these happened which begs the question... was that position cursed during this race?

Meanwhile, the understeer started kicking in half-way through Lap 6, forcing me to briefly set brake balance to -3 for the run through Würth. Switched to -3 permanently when the sensation worsened on Lap 10, by which time I was not too far off the three cars now fighting for 2nd. The gap between myself and the recovering #8 car was starting to erode, however, so my main priority was getting the Lexus home in 5th while making as few mistakes as possible. Only one braking error into Remus (Lap 14), which was pretty good considering that was what kept compromising me during this stage of the test lobbies.

Two laps from the end, the #19 and #17 scrap again for 3rd, the #19 almost losing it out of the final corner. Kept a sensible distance from that pair just in case fireworks kicked off, which did work out to some degree as I was able to get close to the #19 when he got bogged down at Schlossgold. Trouble was that after being gifted 6th by the #8, the #15 BFR GT-R also got himself into the mix. At Remus, he braked late and gave me a light nudge, though for a while I was able to hold him at bay despite getting boxed in behind the #19. Entering Schlossgold for the final time, I positioned myself in the centre so that the #15 had to go the long way around the outside. Went side-by-side through Turn 5, but decided to back out, leave the #15 room for Rauch... and watch as a vicious bout of oversteer sent him fishtailing into a D1GP-style drift!

This completely caught me out by surprise, and in avoidance I backed out to allow him the space to recover through Würth. Unfortunately, the back of the #15 stepped out as he hugged the kerb, and just as I thought I could safely power past around the outside... bam! Straight across my right-front and into the kitty litter! Dropped to 7th while recovering from the collision and the resulting trip over the grassy verge, livening up what had turned out to be a largely processional meeting.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210908174033.png

Third time in two FIA races that I got tangled up in someone else's misfortune, but again I'm not too bothered about losing places in that way. Felt more gutted for the #15 driver as he started further back and was clearly finishing stronger with the way he kept eating into my gap. Other than that, another consistent, and mostly trouble-free run in Gr.2. Really impressed with how much more stable the Lexus felt in the second half compared to test lobbies, which might have had something to do with the brake balance settings and lighter fuel load.

Unless I get tempted to do the finale at Laguna Seca (which could still yield promise given my form in the Manufacturers Gr.4 combo), this might wrap things up for my Nations Cup run this season. I couldn't have felt happier with my scores this time out, especially given the combos and the total number of races I attempted to get to these numbers. Should be exciting to see where I stand in the final UK and EMEA rankings once the points have all been added up...

And as for the #7 Nissan? Well, he never really recovered from that penalty; towards the end, he spun out on the straight and promptly retired after languishing near the back. Guess we'll never know if he was planning to pit all along....

Back